A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: how to get the ash content from self milled flour?  (Read 202 times)

Offline jsfotografie

• I Love Pizza!
how to get the ash content from self milled flour?
« on: July 14, 2019, 03:30:27 AM »
Hey all :) i just started to mill my own flour for an full grain pizza dough :)
and out of curiosity i sieved my full grain and screened it into several particle sizes. i had 180µm 300µm 560µm 900µm. online i found that to get the ash content i had to heat my probe to 900°c i did this with 180µm and 300µm and either i dont baked it long enough or something else is wrong because my probe was 1.85g and the residue (see picture) was 0.35g? that would be 18% ash content?!  ???
i have a small hereaus combilab for melting metal that goes up to 1450°c with an graphite crucible the 300µm probe i baked for an hour still way to much and its a solid not a powder?! i dont know what to expect :D

hehe furthmore any of you have an idee/clue how they mix in germany the the different types like type 405 550 1050 ? i can only imagen that they mix with different particel sizes and those then make the number? very annoying :)

hope one has a tip :)
cheers and thx janosch

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: how to get the ash content from self milled flour?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 03:45:01 AM »
Hello!

Woaw, you're making your own flour  :o That's great! I'm looking forward to see from your tests!

About the ashes, I think it's usually the flour and not the kernel that is burned. That means a part of the bran has already been removed from it, hence the lower rates.
Can you try with a higher amount of flour, like 100g?
I don't know how long it should be burned though... I would say 1H should be long enough  ???
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline jsfotografie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 04:03:27 AM »
dang that makes as my old stone mill perhabs already crushes the shell HMMM hmm hmmm you think i can seperate it even more? i also want to try to make an tipo 00 but with that high mineral content i dont know :D

100g hmmm i can try but this might be a big fire and the smell :O

will make another thes with my kiln and not graphite but some aluminium foil and then bake for 1h

and the grain i buy from a nice bio farm https://chiemgaukorn.de/

would be so awesome to mix my own flour for the perfect pizza :D didnt thought that flour is so complex :O

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 10:25:09 AM »
May I ask why you want to measure the ash content of your flour? The ash content has little, if any, impact on flour performance. It does impact the color of the finished crumb (not a big deal with pizza), it is used mostly to provide some measure of flour extraction as well as a quasi measure of flour quality as it relates to protein content. By this I mean that you can have two flours with the same protein content but different ash contents, as a rule the flour with the lower ash content will be the stronger of the two, that's about where the usefulness of ash content ends. In the U.S. a typical patent grade flour made with a 78% extraction will have about 0.54% ash content while whole wheat flour will go about 1% or a bit more.
If you want to accurately measure the ash content of the flour Google "AACC Approved Methods" and you will find the approved method for determining the ash content of flour.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline jsfotografie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 12:40:49 PM »
thx tom :) i want to measure it because i have a german baking book https://www.amazon.de/dp/3818600066/?tag=pmak-20 and he uses also some german flours where the ash content is given HMMMMM

today i made in test in my other kiln and the result was totaly different!? now not a black blob now ash but stupid me used aluminum foil  ::)
next days i will get a melting crucible and then make the test again. but i still have no idea how i can get for example Dinkel 630.
i think i might get this by sieving after the first coars milling to get most of the endosperm and then add some of the bran and germ to get 630mg HMMM or how is this done in the industry :D

just checked your tip but https://methods.aaccnet.org/summaries/08-01-01.aspx i cant see the method im not a member :(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 12:42:37 PM by jsfotografie »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 03:04:17 PM »
Huh? I just Googled it again and it gave me the entire process step by step including temperatures, no I'm not a member either.
Google: AACC ash measurement procedure for flour.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline jsfotografie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 01:15:47 AM »
 ??? seems german google is differnt :-\ can you perhabs copy the direct link?
ever time i click view method they want a login  :o

thx janosch

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 04:18:52 AM »
Seems to work for me  :-X
https://methods.aaccnet.org/toc.aspx

I can click on "view summary - view method"  and it works.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline jsfotografie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 08:02:01 AM »
 :-[ if you click on this https://methods.aaccnet.org/methods/08-01.pdf you are not asked for a login? then germany is blocked :D
dont want to pay 100€ for a paper GRRR :D

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »
I also don't have access from here in Canada.

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 10:15:09 AM »
I don't have access here in TX.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jsfotografie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 10:30:02 AM »
very strange :) those papers should be open to all or?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 10:48:34 AM »
jsfotografie,

Until you are able to see what is at the AACC website, you might look at the ash section of this document at:

https://nebraskawheat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/WheatFlourTestingMethods.pdf

Peter

Offline jsfotografie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 11:28:14 AM »
thx a ton pete! great document! and a total different temperature 585°c and over night very interesting :)

cheers janosch