A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit-teglia HansB-Yael Monster Hybrid  (Read 655 times)

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
Detroit-teglia HansB-Yael Monster Hybrid
« on: July 23, 2019, 12:30:47 PM »
My wife loves my Detroit pies the best, but I find them a little rich and almost soggy, though I am cooking them longer. I thought I would try a detroit made with taglia dough handling (i.e. use mix of flours, rise and shape outside the pan, then top and cook).

flour 160g   (80 BF, 60 HG, 10 spelt, 10 rye)
cool water 112 g --70%
IDY 1.6g --1%
salt 3.26 --2%
LDMP (20 U) 3.2g --2%

Combine all but salt, autolyze x 20 min, add salt, rest 20 min, then fold every 20 min x 3
Fold again, seal folds (like a dough ball), place in oiled container, CF x ~ 40 hours

keeps hands pretty wet while folding to inch up the hydration

Remove from fridge, fold again and seal folds, let sit 4 hours
Let drop onto fine semolina, stretch to size (Lloyd's 8x10 Detroit pan, prepped with butter, crisco and a little olive oil)

Preheat oven 30 minutes while topping pizza [muenster on outside, ripe mozz in the middle, some sweated mushrooms, olives, Margherita pepperoni  >:D and sliced tomatoes]

Bake 525 x 12  minutes, top with warm sauce

I liked the texture a lot. A good amount of crunch, a firm, not floppy crust when I removed it from pan.
My wife likes maybe a little more grease/crisco/oil in the pan for the fried texture.

It was cool seeing how different the detroit pie turned out from the teglia handling. We will definitely have this again.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Detroit-teglia HansB-Yael Monster Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 12:35:32 AM »
Looks good, John I know you’ve done a lot of research and experimentation on these panned pizzas.
-Tony

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 02:38:43 AM »
So what was the biggest differences with the original procedure?
I think the dough is better and healthier with this recipe  :angel:

BTW, did it bake well? No gum line?
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Oberon

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 09:06:09 AM »
So what was the biggest differences with the original procedure?
I think the dough is better and healthier with this recipe  :angel:

BTW, did it bake well? No gum line?

Curious about this too...and grateful for the term "gum line", which I have been working to avoid like the plague.  I have been baking mine untopped at least until there is a bit of browning (12-14 min at 525F), then adding all but sauce.  Works well, but still learning where the boundaries are...

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 01:07:30 PM »
I've done this twice now, and learned a little bit. To much cheese is not good; there was a gum line from that. Also, the crust had less of the nice crispness when there was excess cheese.

Also, too much sauce ladled on at the end wasn't good; both times there was too much sauce.

The texture boundaries between regular sicilian, detroit, and teglia are interesting to explore. And using a steel vs aluminum pan seems to be a factor also in the crunch/texture I am after. It seems odd that aluminum is so ubiquitous and steel so hard to find (and afford  :)). Is there just not much market for steel (non-stainless) baking pans?

A couple next steps I want to try is to sample a Jets pizza near my home, as they have a reputation for crunch it seems. Also, I want to make the kenji pan pizza being discussed elsewhere on the forum right now. The Tony G recipe for sicilian that I have been using is very fussy and labor intensive.

But tomorrow I will drive an hour and a half to Vito and Nick's in Chicago because Chicago Bob says their chicago thin is an essential experience for chicago thin lovers. I have some 'use or lose' vacation time, and a quick trip in to chicago for lunch seems the best way to deal with that :)

It is so cool to have a 'next step' in this amazing pizza endeavor  :D

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 01:10:59 PM »
The difference in the procedure was the fermenting/stretching outside the pan (teglia-style) vs in the pan (focaccia/detroit/sicilian style).

I think a parbake might give a better crust texture also; I did not parbake the two I made.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 08:12:31 PM »
The difference in the procedure was the fermenting/stretching outside the pan (teglia-style) vs in the pan (focaccia/detroit/sicilian style).

I think a parbake might give a better crust texture also; I did not parbake the two I made.

I was asking about the differences in the crust result. It seems the crumb was light, is it that light in the original recipe of deep dish?

It's funny how you try to explore the boundaries, because this is a topic I often have (or had) about pizza itself (especially when I explained what is a pizza in my book).
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 11:19:15 PM »
Yes, the crumb is lighter, though that word could mean different things to different people. For me, the opposite of light would be what I called "soggy"; the crust sags more when you lift the whole thing out of the pan after it's done baking.

But there is a touch of whole grain flour in there too, so some would say that is _not_ "light". But as in teglia style, I find a little whole grain gives some complexity to the crust flavor.

The Tony G Sicilian does have a nice airy and almost ...crispy (not so soggy) crust too. But the amount of oil in the pan seems important. It is par baked and the HansB Detroit crust is not.

The HansB Detroit pizza (so simple and forgiving) invariably gets (positive) comments about the crust when guests try it for the first time. But for me it is just a little soft maybe. Upping the cook time seems to be helping with that though.

And I use a Lloyd pan for Detroit, which is aluminum; some people would say that that really matters. I think Hans himself implied or said directly that steel vs aluminum is not so so vital (or at least that is what I understood) for this. And his Detroit recipe is so simple and forgiving of variation in procedures that I have to respect that opinion.