A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mini Crunch  (Read 296 times)

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
Mini Crunch
« on: August 15, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
I love this video of Francesco Martucci of I Masinielli - it's very inspirational. 

His pizzas also look absolutely sublime. Anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this "Mini Crunch" effect he's talking about? I tried baking a pizza longer than a standard NP - for 2 and even 3 minutes, and while I get more browning, so far no Mini Crunch. The browned crust is still soft and yielding rather than crunchy. I'm baking in a Blackstone gas oven - is this effect possibly something that requires a drier heat, such as electric or wood? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Alex

Offline iLLEb

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Mini Crunch
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 06:59:53 AM »
I am also looking for that neapolitan crust with just a slight crunchy bottom.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 07:16:45 AM »
That kind of bottom - a super-thin layer of crisp with a soft, tender interior is one of the things I like about the Breville's highly conductive deck. Also, placing the baked pizza on a wire rack rather than a plate prevents that beautiful bottom from getting soggy. I get the same effect in my Earthstone WFO, which has more conductive deck than other WFOs.

Offline iLLEb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 07:29:45 AM »
how do i get that in an roccbox?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 07:36:52 AM »
how do i get that in an roccbox?

My WAG is that this effect is facilitated by a conductive deck or extremely hot deck- but unless the heat is balanced to quickly bake the rest of the pizza, you could get a burnt bottom. A higher hydration dough may help in this regard, but it is a very delicate balancing act giving the speed with this all happens. What is the Roccbox deck made out of? How hot does the deck get? Is there a way to adjust heat during baking such as lifting the top of the pizza towards a heat source? Sorry, I know nothing about that oven.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 07:59:53 AM »
It looks to me that he is talking about the crunch on the cornicione, not the bottom...
Hans

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 08:01:36 AM »
It looks to me that he is talking about the crunch on the cornicione, not the bottom...

You're right. Need to drink my coffee before checking the forum.  :-[

Offline iLLEb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 08:29:45 AM »
im curious about both thought, any advise would help, i would very much like to try both.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 09:37:23 AM »
His pizzas also look absolutely sublime. Anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this "Mini Crunch" effect he's talking about? I tried baking a pizza longer than a standard NP - for 2 and even 3 minutes, and while I get more browning, so far no Mini Crunch. The browned crust is still soft and yielding rather than crunchy. I'm baking in a Blackstone gas oven - is this effect possibly something that requires a drier heat, such as electric or wood? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

There are probably several factors at play in producing this effect, and apart from what has already been mentioned, I would guess he is using a higher hydration dough than is typical for a standard Napoletana.  It seems to me that the cornicione of Martucci's pizza has some elements of the pizza a canotto, though it's not as pronounced as in the pizzas of Lioniello and Sammarco.  For this style, Piergiorgio Giorilli recommends a slightly longer bake at a lower temperature than what is normally done for pizza Napoletana.  Lastly, I don't think this pizza is as crunchy as you might think.  It probably has a very thin "eggshell" crust whose crispiness is very fleeting once the pizza is removed from the oven.  That's just my guess.

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 12:29:21 PM »
Right, the mini crunch is just in the cornicione. Rolls, thanks for your insight - I do believe that his style is also considered a Canotto.

Do you know if higher hydration and longer bake time is the primary difference or is oil also added to the dough?

I read before that burning gas releases some condensation so I am wondering if it’s because I am using a gas oven that my cornicione is quite soft and not crunchy even after a 3 minute bake? For those who have used both gas and wood ovens, do you get more cornicione crunch in a wood oven or electric assuming the same temps/bake times?

Thanks!

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 08:27:23 PM »
Wood would be wetter than gas, although according to my experience (which may be wrong), brick chambers absorb more humidity than stainless steel chambers in which humidity remains, meaning a gas fire oven with metal inside (Roccbox...) could be wetter than a regular WFO.
I used to have a brick-chamber electric oven, the pizza was drying as much as in a convection conveyor oven, hence my guess above.

I also thinks that what Rolls says is very relevant.
And think about Mozza Pizza's pizza, they bake like 8 minutes in a WFO, the cornicione is like a cracker!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

wordpress