A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The End of Meat ?  (Read 4356 times)

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
The End of Meat ?
« on: August 17, 2019, 09:58:14 AM »
Interesting read on the meatless meat revolution.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2399736/impossible-foods-beyond-meat-alt-meat

Offline jsaras

Re: The End of Meat ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 10:07:01 AM »
Nature already has a way of turning vegetables into tasty meat
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 10:12:24 AM »
Interesting read on the meatless meat revolution.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2399736/impossible-foods-beyond-meat-alt-meat
Never tried one.  I like my meat but who knows might give one a try

But I don't think I'll ever eat an alt porterhouse or rib eye steak

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »
Hell no, I won't go!

Sorry, it ain't happinin in my house.  >:(

No self-respecting boomer generation bar-b-que'r would let plastic meat thru the door.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 10:19:31 AM »
Hell no, I won't go!

Sorry, it ain't happinin in my house.  >:(

No self-respecting boomer generation bar-b-que'r would let plastic meat thru the door.
I agree with you but many of them are letting (or demanding) that their kids play ball on plastic fields...so there is that mindset and example.
-Tony

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 10:37:59 AM »
Nature already has a way of turning vegetables into tasty meat

A pretty inefficient way that is not sustainable. I love real meat, but I'm perfectly willing to try these new approaches that, in time, could deliver a superior product at scale. You never know. I'm certainly not wearing the same fabrics nor eating the same foods that my forebearers did and I'm certain my descendants, by necessity or preference, will be enjoying products we can't even imagine. 

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »
I like meat and I like vegetables, but I don't like vegetables posing as meat.

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 10:39:55 AM »
Im no vegan andI the pics of Oklahoma onion burgers might be my new computer wall paper, but Im a big fan  of the Beyond Meat  2.0 1/4  lb patty at home.

I actually prefer it to a real burger, with its eternal red center, mouth feel, and the slight char it gets from just a few minutes on each  side. Some grilled onions, a quick toast of the bun in the same pan, and Im a happy camper

He makes a good point, in that real meat isnt ever going to get any better, but the fake meat innovations have just begun.

Perry

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »
If you like beyond meat wait until you try the impossible burger.   Im a meat eater, but a decent portion of my business turned out to be selling vegan pizza/apps.   I tried to avoid it at first but we quickly found that our vegan customers are some of the most loyal and vocal, often bringing lots of meat eating friends to the restaurant.  Groups of vegan/non vegan friends love that they can all find something they like on my menu.   

When impossible burger came out I was blown away by how good it could be on a pizza and it quickly rose to the top of my vegan menu sales in the form of a vegan cheeseburger pizza (yes with pickles on top!).  Anyhow, two months ago I got a notice from impossible burger that Burger King and little Caesars were picking up the impossible burger and they couldn't meet the demands so it became unavailable to me for a month.   In that time I tried every vegan meat substitute I could find, and while beyond burger was the closest thing, it tasted artificial next to the impossible burger. Impossible is back and everyone is happy again.  I later found out that its actually impossible sausage that little Caesars is using.   I haven't tried that yet but im sure its good.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:06:22 AM by scott r »

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 11:05:21 AM »
I did try the Beyond Sausage, but was not nearly as impressive. ..yet

Am I incorrect in that Beyond is in retail distribution , and Impossible is a food service item ?

Perry

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 11:07:56 AM »
I've read the ingredient list on some of these and what the nutritionists say about them. They are no better, no worse than real meat! It's an alternative, nothing more, nothing less! I'll give them a try, probably not going to change my direction.
Jon

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 11:08:35 AM »
Impossible was wholesale only at first.  Im not sure if its retail yet. I have a feeling you will see impossible in the grocery stores as soon as they are able to supply the demand.    Maybe the move to new facilities for the Burger King menu will be large enough for them to go retail as well.   I know that I was able to find it retail at a butcher when it first came out.   Beyond meat is both retail and wholesale, and their sausage is nowhere near where it should be yet. 

I dont think these products will ever be as good as beef (to someone like me that has been eating beef for 47 years) but they are definitely a bit step up from a classic veggie burger. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:13:36 AM by scott r »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »
This Is the Beginning of the End of the Beef Industry
Alt meat isn't going to stay alt for long, and cattle are looking more and more like stranded assets

Or not. Making a great veggie burger is one thing. Making a great veggie ribeye is quite another.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 11:25:23 AM »
We used to think dial up internet  and cordless phones were a miracle., so I wouldnt bet against technology on this one.
I think well be seeing versions of ground  lamb, pork and who knows what else,  before long.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 11:26:26 AM »
(We should be able to delete our posts, when we reply to ourselves ..just saying. )
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:28:25 AM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 11:51:39 AM »
Recent projections suggest that 60 percent of the meat eaten in 2040 will be alt, a figure I think may actually be too conservative.

The author conveniently ignores a couple non-trivial things about this quote:

(1) It should be read that 60% of the protein eaten in 2040 will be alt, because if there is a disruption it will everything protein based including current plant protein markets.
(2) He's playing with the math. Even if 60% of meat eaten in 2040 is alt, that does not mean that meat eaten falls by 60% because it ignores protein consumption per capita growth and population growth. Adjusting for just those two factors cuts the decline in half.
(3) It's a global number - not a US number. Does anyone believe that what happens with US meat consumption will look anything like what happens global protein consumption? Maybe 60% of global protein consumed in 2040 is alt, that doesn't mean there will be anywhere near that level of change in the US or western Europe. Rather the math suggests large increases in alt protein in the 3rd world and much smaller increases in the developed world which average to their forecasts.
(4) lastly, and this may be the biggie, alt also includes cultured proteins. In fact, the estimates the author is working from assume 4.5X more alt meat is coming from cultured meat as opposed to veggie sources.

The study behind his story is here:
https://www.atkearney.com/retail/article/?/a/how-will-cultured-meat-and-meat-alternatives-disrupt-the-agricultural-and-food-industry
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »
Or not. Making a great veggie burger is one thing. Making a great veggie ribeye is quite another.

Yep.  Not giving up meat.  I'm not inclined to eat meat more than a couple times per week simply because I like to eat things that aren't meat.  Good luck making passable ribeyes, lamb chops and chicken wings.
John

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 12:13:54 PM »
I know that in side by side, blind tests, both Shake Shack and BK tasters could not tell the difference.

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 12:14:16 PM »
The author conveniently ignores a couple non-trivial things about this quote:

(1) It should be read that 60% of the protein eaten in 2040 will be alt, because if there is a disruption it will everything protein based including current plant protein markets.
(2) He's playing with the math. Even if 60% of meat eaten in 2040 is alt, that does not mean that meat eaten falls by 60% because it ignores protein consumption per capita growth and population growth. Adjusting for just those two factors cuts the decline in half.
(3) It's a global number - not a US number. Does anyone believe that what happens with US meat consumption will look anything like what happens global protein consumption? Maybe 60% of global protein consumed in 2040 is alt, that doesn't mean there will be anywhere near that level of change in the US or western Europe. Rather the math suggests large increases in alt protein in the 3rd world and much smaller increases in the developed world which average to their forecasts.
(4) lastly, and this may be the biggie, alt also includes cultured proteins. In fact, the estimates the author is working from assume 4.5X more alt meat is coming from cultured meat as opposed to veggie sources.

The study behind his story is here:
https://www.atkearney.com/retail/article/?/a/how-will-cultured-meat-and-meat-alternatives-disrupt-the-agricultural-and-food-industry

#2 doesn't make any sense. 
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 12:29:17 PM »

#2 doesn't make any sense.

Look at the chart in the link I posted. Their projection is that % of meat drops from 90% to 40% but the total market grows by 50% meaning that by their estimates, the amount of meat consumed drops by 30% not 60% (the drop in market share).

wordpress