A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Turkish/German Doner Kebab Sandwich  (Read 305 times)

Offline FeCheF

Turkish/German Doner Kebab Sandwich
« on: January 30, 2020, 10:51:10 PM »
So, i been on a sandwich kick lately. Wanting to make at least something as good as the real thing. Heard about this Turkish/German sandwich, had to give it a go. Couldn't source the bread, so had to make it. Its  basicly a round loaf. I would say its a cross between a high hydration pizza dough, and a sour dough bread. Its topped with white and black sesame seeds during baking. The meat of choice optional, could be chicken, lamb, goat..ect, and is done on a rotisserie. The toppings and sauce's are similar what you would put on a greek gyro. I made a garlic aoli, harissa, and mango chutney sauce, then a cucumber, dill,tomato, and lettuce salad w/ crumbled feta, and a homemade pickled red cabbage. I rotisserie boneless skinless chicken thighs marinated with a jerk flavor which is similar to turkish spices. Waiting for the bread the set.

Offline FeCheF

Re: Turkish/German Doner Kebab Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 10:53:36 PM »
more pics
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 06:38:07 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 01:05:47 AM »
Words cant describe how good this was.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:10:15 AM by FeCheF »

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 10:13:24 AM »
Nice, that looks good. I love a good kebab

The doners I ate in Berlin were mainly on a triangular bread and I usually had the lamb ones. They  were excellent

The UK's take on them tend to be more low quality although I have also found some great ones. They are often served in pitta bread, but the better ones I've found are in naan as so many takeaways serving kebabs here are run by bangladeshis/pakistanis.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:16:39 AM by Hanglow »

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 09:19:50 PM »
Nice, that looks good. I love a good kebab

The doners I ate in Berlin were mainly on a triangular bread and I usually had the lamb ones. They  were excellent

The UK's take on them tend to be more low quality although I have also found some great ones. They are often served in pitta bread, but the better ones I've found are in naan as so many takeaways serving kebabs here are run by bangladeshis/pakistanis.

Was the bread triangle, or was it a large round cut into triangles? Thats what i did. My rounds came out smaller then i wanted so instead of cutting into 1/4's i cut them into 1/3'rds. It also got a bit too "bready" if thats a word, so i pulled some of the bread out before filling. Its ok though, i used the bread i pulled out to dip into the soup i made to go with the sandwiches.

I definitly need to do more research on this sandwich.

My wife actually requested this sandwich again tonight, thats how much she loved it. Its a good thing i made two round loafs and have leftover jerk chicken.

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 02:21:27 AM »
I see the cut one now ;D

They were all cut into triangles rather than being a baked triangular loaf for sure