A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The End of Meat ?  (Read 4209 times)

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
Re: The End of Meat ?
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2019, 11:29:30 PM »
Sure i can cut back on salt. But what is the point of this fake beef whopper if it has more salt then real beef? Maybe i am just not understanding how this fad is better for anyone?

This particular fad isn't based on health. It's about the supposed environmental impact that raising meat has on the environment. I give it six more months before the stocks crash.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2019, 11:42:44 PM »
This particular fad isn't based on health. It's about the supposed environmental impact that raising meat has on the environment. I give it six more months before the stocks crash.
I don't know about that 6 months deal....
I read the other day that one of the fast food Giants are already working on a fake chicken sandwich.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2019, 11:50:14 PM »
Again, it is a another choice that people can eat or not.  If you want to lower the sodium in a BK burger skip the bun, more sodium than either patty.
Tom

Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
Tom

Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »
Not a fad...

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2017/12/11/why-you-should-give-mock-meats-chance

Don't take my post personal. I want to believe for obvious health reasons. You just dont want to eat meat. Theres a diff.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2019, 12:32:41 AM »
Is it not healthier to eat a plant rather than meat with fat?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:35:39 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2019, 08:42:35 AM »
Again, it is a another choice that people can eat or not.  If you want to lower the sodium in a BK burger skip the bun, more sodium than either patty.

If you want to lower your sodium intake, it's probably best to avoid Burger King altogether   :)
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2019, 12:14:00 PM »
My 2nd visit this week.... a beyond meat “bacon cheeseburger” from a local vegan cafe. Delicious. Pretty convincing. They also do a fun version called a “big smack” that tastes remarkably like a Big Mac.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2019, 04:21:23 PM »
Sorry Pete i havent replied. You have done some serious tests on your BP. I guess i am not as dedicated to my health as you. I go back in 3 weeks to have a bunch of blood work and tests done. Hopefully i just need some diet and exercise.
FeChef,

I wish you the best with your blood work and other tests, which may include an EKG. But you are not alone. The American Heart Association estimates that about 103 million Americans have high blood pressure. That is out of a total US population that is closing in on 330 million people (https://www.usdebtclock.org/). Of that number, about 210 million are over the age of 18. So the percent number is higher than a third.

The above numbers also suggest that there is a very large market for the medical healthcare industry to tap. Just recently I got a boilerplate letter from my primary care physician's office inviting me to have by blood pressure tested. Presumably, all of the practice's patients got the same letter. As it so happens, when I had my last annual physical, my blood pressure was in the mid-130s (systolic), the lowest it has been in years in my visits to the doctor's office. My PCP said that it was a bit on the high side but that no treatment was necessary in his opinion. I then told him that I had read that for people of my age values in the 130s were considered by some to be optimum, especially since the previous cutoff was around 150/90. He admitted that there is a lot of disagreement within the profession about what blood pressure values one should strive for. I believe that there is a similar disagreement on the range of Sodium values one should strive for. So don't be surprised by what you are told when your tests have been completed and assessed. Yet, at the same time, you should be aware that heart disease is the major cause of death in the US (around 610,00 annually or about 23% of total deaths).

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2019, 04:52:03 PM »
Now it looks like Trader Joe's is getting into the act:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/trader-joes-is-releasing-its-version-of-plant-based-meat—just-dont-expect-it-to-bleed/ar-AAHqWvE?ocid=spartanntp

Peter

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2019, 09:39:19 PM »
FeChef,

I wish you the best with your blood work and other tests, which may include an EKG. But you are not alone. The American Heart Association estimates that about 103 million Americans have high blood pressure. That is out of a total US population that is closing in on 330 million people (https://www.usdebtclock.org/). Of that number, about 210 million are over the age of 18. So the percent number is higher than a third.

The above numbers also suggest that there is a very large market for the medical healthcare industry to tap. Just recently I got a boilerplate letter from my primary care physician's office inviting me to have by blood pressure tested. Presumably, all of the practice's patients got the same letter. As it so happens, when I had my last annual physical, my blood pressure was in the mid-130s (systolic), the lowest it has been in years in my visits to the doctor's office. My PCP said that it was a bit on the high side but that no treatment was necessary in his opinion. I then told him that I had read that for people of my age values in the 130s were considered by some to be optimum, especially since the previous cutoff was around 150/90. He admitted that there is a lot of disagreement within the profession about what blood pressure values one should strive for. I believe that there is a similar disagreement on the range of Sodium values one should strive for. So don't be surprised by what you are told when your tests have been completed and assessed. Yet, at the same time, you should be aware that heart disease is the major cause of death in the US (around 610,00 annually or about 23% of total deaths).

Peter

My last year's physical my BP was 140/110. I freaked to say the least! This year it was 106/60 which seemed strange. The doc even tested me again. Not sure what changed. Maybe it was doctor visit induced anxiety which is common. For the last 3 years I have been practicing intermittent fasting. My BMI this year is 21 which for my size should be 28, but it is considered OK. I always had problems keeping the weight off. I would get to a good weight then over time slowly gain the weight back. Since being on the intermittent fasting I have kept the weight off with no problem. The biggest hurdle is getting used to eating once or twice a day. It takes about a mouth for your body to adjust. I never feel like I am starving. I limit my sweet drinks to only when eating out and more often than not I get water or non-sweetened tea. Of course I almost never snack between meals. I believe the reason this works for me is that if I want a guilty pleasure I don't deprive myself of it. When I splurge on something great which is usually wonderful and very unhealthy, I know I will get back on track for the next few days. I never feel like I am being deprived of some of my fave foods. One caveat.. If you have heath problems be sure to consult your MD before trying this lifestyle change. For the first time in my life I have my weight under control and I get to eat what I want with no guilt.

I liked the BK Impossible Burger. Health wise it seems to be not much better than the real deal. Is there really a healthy burger? But if we raise less cattle to make patties it may be a good thing for the planet. I am no tree hugger. I read a statistic that there are more chickens living than humans. Where I live there are quite a few Tyson's chicken farms just north of us. We have had a lot of problems with their chicken waste runoff in our streams, rivers, and drinking waters. It seems in the last few weeks that more and more companies are jumping on the veggie bandwagon. Not sure how it will shake out. For me flavor and texture is the main thing and if they can create a veggie product that can replicate it I am all in. I am a meat and potato kind of guy but I always have an open mind. I am going to get my tester an Impossible Burger and see what he thinks. I know the franchise owner and will ask him put it in a regular Whopper wrapper. Curious to see what my tester thinks.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2019, 12:27:22 PM »
As this very recent article on Bloomberg discusses, the real meat/fake meat debate rages on:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-18/faux-meat-has-a-real-threat-with-opponents-attacking-healthiness?srnd=premium

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »
The alt-meat companies understand the health weakness. I saw this today. Notice they don't include a sodium comp which seems more than a bit disingenuous. It's also kind of funny how they call it "animal-based beef."
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 12:53:24 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
I read a statistic that there are more chickens living than humans. Where I live there are quite a few Tyson's chicken farms just north of us. We have had a lot of problems with their chicken waste runoff in our streams, rivers, and drinking waters.
Nick,

I once read that Texas had more cattle than the residents of many states. As the link posted below indicates, Texas not only has the most cattle in the country, there is more cattle than the residents of all but six states. In the case of Oklahoma, where you live, there is more cattle than people :-D.

https://beef2live.com/story-cattle-inventory-vs-human-population-state-0-114255

This article claims that the runoff from farms that raise grain crops to be used as food by animals, like cattle, and that the runoff from feedlot operations is causing harm to our waterways and even the Gulf of Mexico:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/01/meat-industry-dead-zone-gulf-of-mexico-environment-pollution

Peter

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »
The alt-meat companies understand the health weakness. I saw this today. Notice they don't include a sodium comp which seems more than a bit disingenuous. It's also kind of funny how they call it "animal-based beef."

Don't eat it.  No point in getting worked up about it.
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2019, 01:53:26 PM »

Don't eat it.  No point in getting worked up about it.

And what fun would that be?  :-D

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
And what fun would that be?  :-D

Less stress is a good thing.
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2019, 02:19:12 PM »
Seen this today......

Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #158 on: September 18, 2019, 02:25:31 PM »
This is where I seen the "vegan future" thingy pop up!

https://www.newsweek.com/fire-bull-semen-explosion-farm-australia-1459673
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2019, 02:37:35 PM »
Tim Hortons to pull Beyond Meat offerings everywhere except Ontario and B.C.:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/tim-hortons-to-pull-beyond-meat-offerings-from-most-provinces-174240421.html

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza