A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The End of Meat ?  (Read 10052 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: The End of Meat ?
« Reply #260 on: October 31, 2019, 03:19:55 PM »
A move is afoot in Congress that would require all plant-based and cultured beef products to be labeled as “imitation.”

https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/14800-proposed-bill-addresses-plant-based-labeling-issue

Peter

I wouldn't hold my breath. The dairy folks have been trying for years to  get that done with nut and soy "milk."
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #261 on: October 31, 2019, 03:30:13 PM »
The problem they will have is the word "meat"does not historically just apply to animal flesh or product's...

Note that meat as animals is the second definition.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meat
Tom

Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #262 on: October 31, 2019, 04:25:48 PM »
I wouldn't hold my breath. The dairy folks have been trying for years to  get that done with nut and soy "milk."

Didn't they succeed?
John

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #263 on: October 31, 2019, 04:26:29 PM »
Tom

Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #264 on: October 31, 2019, 04:54:59 PM »
No

Whew!  I don't have to call my nut milk bags something else.
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2019, 06:36:46 PM »
I drink and/or cook with coconut milk and almond milk daily. Love them both.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #266 on: October 31, 2019, 08:48:31 PM »
I drink and/or cook with coconut milk and almond milk daily. Love them both.

LOVE coconut milk in almost anything, EXCEPT my coffee!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #267 on: November 01, 2019, 10:24:23 AM »
Morningstar does a very thorough job of researching BYND and assessing the investment merits of BYND:

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/952796/beyond-meat-looks-rich

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #268 on: November 01, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »
Interesting read.

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #269 on: November 01, 2019, 03:48:53 PM »
I just watched a show last night that had some quote to the affect "I'm old school, I like my milk without nuts in it"...
Couldn't have said it better my self!

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #270 on: November 01, 2019, 07:15:19 PM »
LOVE coconut milk in almost anything, EXCEPT my coffee!

I always did half and half.  Ran out recently and now I like it black.  When I worked in a supermarket in highscool, one of the cashiers asked Paul the produce guy to bring her a cup of coffee on the PA (the perc pot was on his bench).  He asked her how she liked it.   She said "I like it like my men".  He replied "is that strong or black"?  The store erupted in laughter.
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2019, 02:31:17 PM »
I always did half and half.  Ran out recently and now I like it black.

I was always black, but recently I discovered heavy cream  ;D

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #272 on: November 03, 2019, 04:55:28 PM »
Mine is always double, even triple strength, but then some half and half or heavy cream! Some of these things may change after Wednesday's fun and games!!!😳
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline nick57

• In Memoriam
  • Rest In Peace - March 2020
« Reply #273 on: November 03, 2019, 05:23:29 PM »
Mine is always double, even triple strength, but then some half and half or heavy cream! Some of these things may change after Wednesday's fun and games!!!😳

I still eat bad things...like pizza. It's about moderation. I have my treats once or twice a week and the rest of the time it's low fat and healthy. That also includes the worst poison of all, sugar. I rarely have sweet drinks or deserts. Sugar is all around evil, it can cause cardiovascular problems along with liver and kidney ailments. It's also super fuel for cancer. I don't post many of my healthy meals, a little too boring.

The most important thing to do is taking your meds religiously. Will be thinking about you, keep us updated!

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #274 on: November 04, 2019, 09:28:08 PM »

64mg/mL for me.  Kinda rugged.
John

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #275 on: November 05, 2019, 12:32:57 AM »

Can I have all your toys if things don't work out?
John

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #276 on: November 05, 2019, 01:58:41 AM »
Can I have all your toys if things don't work out?

You'll have to fight my son in laws and they're in better shape than both of us!!!😂
Jon

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #277 on: November 08, 2019, 06:11:07 PM »
Now THAT'S some funny chit right there!!!😂🤣

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/arbys-carrot-megetable-marrot
Jon

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #278 on: November 26, 2019, 10:40:58 AM »
Lately, there have been quite a few articles discussing the IPO market and in which comparisons are made between the IPOs that went public before the dot.com bust of 2000-2002 and the IPOs that have come to market in recent years. Here is an example of such an article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/are-we-cusp-next-dot-com-bubble/600232/

With respect to BYND, it will be seen from the following article that it has succeeded mightily in comparison with other IPOs:

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2019/10/why-the-ipo-market-is-different-this-time/

Peter
Blue Apron (APRN) would have been a good addition to that second list. It has been a spectacular failure, unfortunately. It’s so bad it is difficult to trace exactly how bad. It’s down about 95% from its IPO price in late June 2017. Not quite 2 years later, in mid-June 2019, it had a 1:15 reverse split. $10,000 invested at the IPO price is worth about $465 today. Originally slated to price at $15-$17 it eventually opened at $10 per share after an announcement from Amazon it was entering the meal kit business. Maybe Amazon should have just waited and bought the discounted APRN; it is doubtful ther got a 95% return on their foray into meal kits. Amazon, Ebay, and countless others had their bouts with huge declines but (these 2) have bounced back. Like those, some buyer though it was a good time to buy at its all-time high. In APRN’s case that was day 1 at a pre-split price of $150, currently $7. No earnings as far as I looked back (Feb 2018) and likely none before that. Market Cap is $93 million - still baffling to me.

This probably could have been a successful side business for a restaurant commissary or a really well organized and perhaps oversized but profitable restaurant. It would be interesting to have a candid conversation with the founder(s) to see what they would do differently if they could turn back the clock.
-Tony

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #279 on: November 26, 2019, 11:50:59 AM »
Tony,

I would agree with you inasmuch as the IPO market can be a treacherous place to try to make money. However, as a new subscriber to a service that tries to find disruptive companies in which to invest, I was given an offer to subscribe to another service that tries to find the best IPOs to invest in. And, in that vein, the new IPO service looks for "hidden" IPOs, with names that most are unlikely to have ever heard of, not the names that get enormous attention like the failed WeWork IPO, and Uber and Lyft and the like. BYND was not a hidden name and while it seems to have a fair amount of merit it, too, has dropped in price from its original IPO price.

If you are interested, you might try this link but keep in mind that the offer for the new IPO service, allegedly at a discounted price, ends later today:

https://www.riskhedge.com/hidden-ipos

Peter

wordpress