A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The End of Meat ?  (Read 8864 times)

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
Re: The End of Meat ?
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2019, 04:51:50 AM »
I welcome alternatives to meat. We generally eat too much meat as it is, and it's not doing the planet a service. I'd prefer not to cut meat entirely, but rather make something special when I eat meat.

I'm not a fan of soy-based alternatives, so I hope they find better options, or make progress on the cultivated, "fake" meat.
-Heine. Mostly Neapolitan sourdough pizzas in an electric Effeuno P134H.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2019, 05:39:59 AM »
I welcome alternatives to meat. We generally eat too much meat as it is, and it's not doing the planet a service. I'd prefer not to cut meat entirely, but rather make something special when I eat meat.

I'm not a fan of soy-based alternatives, so I hope they find better options, or make progress on the cultivated, "fake" meat.

I make no attempt to cut my meat consumption for any reason.  I eat around 200g per week.  I like meat, but I also like a lot of stuff that isn't meat.
John

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2019, 11:21:16 AM »
I make no attempt to cut my meat consumption for any reason.  I eat around 200g per week.  I like meat, but I also like a lot of stuff that isn't meat.
You are well below the average and at a better amount for both health related reasons and CO2 omissions. I'd agree there's no need to cut then.

An article said the average US consumer ate 100kg (red and poultry) in 2018. That's 1.9kg per week. With 200g you are at 10% of that.
-Heine. Mostly Neapolitan sourdough pizzas in an electric Effeuno P134H.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2019, 09:28:49 AM »
Hardee's is testing two plant-based offerings using the Beyond Meat product:

https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/14378-hardees-to-test-two-plant-based-menu-items-with-beyond-meat

Peter

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2019, 11:12:27 PM »
Hardee's is testing two plant-based offerings using the Beyond Meat product:

https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/14378-hardees-to-test-two-plant-based-menu-items-with-beyond-meat

Peter
We had a new Arby’s open here today right across the street from an old store of theirs that has been closed and decaying for 15 years or so. Thanks for the heads up. If I ever wander in there I will look things over carefully.
-Tony

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2019, 11:59:29 AM »
Kentucky Fried Chicken is testing Beyond Meat plant-based fried chicken:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/kfc-is-testing-beyond-meat-plantbased-fried-chicken-120016030.html

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »
There are a lot of cattle ranchers and others who are worried about what names are selected for plant-based alternatives to meat products:

https://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/2019/08/25/veggie-burgers-were-living-an-idyllic-little-existence-then-they-got-caught-in-a-war-over-the-future-of-meat/

Peter

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2019, 03:43:11 PM »
There are a lot of cattle ranchers and others who are worried about what names are selected for plant-based alternatives to meat products:

https://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/2019/08/25/veggie-burgers-were-living-an-idyllic-little-existence-then-they-got-caught-in-a-war-over-the-future-of-meat/

Peter

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the 'beyond meat' folks leaked that out for reverse advertising kinda thing. Bad news, conflict is advertising!! :P
Mock duck in a can and soy burgers etc have been around for a long time!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2019, 09:38:45 PM »
If it keeps REAL meat prices down, i am all for it. Competition is always good for the consumer.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2019, 12:41:11 PM »
Here is an article about a company called Puris that is one of the suppliers of pea protein to Beyond Meats:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/28/beyond-meats-pea-protein-supplier-receives-additional-75-million-investment-from-cargill.html

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2019, 08:23:27 PM »

The plot continues to chicken?
John,

That’s clever. I like that ;D.

I was thinking as much about the perceived health benefits of the various plant-based meats.

Peter

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2019, 08:48:51 PM »
John,

That’s clever. I like that ;D.

I was thinking as much about the perceived health benefits of the various plant-based meats.

Peter

I love veggies and I want them to taste like veggies.  They're probably healthier that way.  If I want meat, I eat meat.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:54:01 PM by jkb »
John

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2019, 10:46:34 PM »
Here is an article about a company called Puris that is one of the suppliers of pea protein to Beyond Meats:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/28/beyond-meats-pea-protein-supplier-receives-additional-75-million-investment-from-cargill.html

Peter

Part of that includes up here in MN, in Dawson they are retrofitting an old dairy plant that closed in 2012. The Turtle Lake WI plant can't keep up with the protein extraction from peas so they plan on having the Dawson one up and going in a year or so. In 2012 130 jobs were lost, they approximate 90 jobs will be brought back in! It will be a boon to that community.......for now!
Jon

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2019, 03:47:53 PM »
This article discusses how different generations are dealing with nutrition concerns, including in some cases consuming plant-based protein:

https://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/49258-consumers-adopting-holistic-approach-to-nutrition

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2019, 06:47:48 PM »
I was recently reading an article by a money manager who, along with his wife and dogs, decided to give some Beyond Meat products a try. His discussion about how the dogs reacted to the products was quite funny:

(Caveat BYND emptor: At the risk of being considered of the stickler type, my wife and I were intrigued by the idea of a tasty and healthy alternative to meat. Thus, we dutifully headed to Bristol Farms to buy a package of both their sausages and meat patties. The first thing that jumped out at us was how high-fat they were, especially the burgers. Now, maybe it’s “good” fat, like avocados, but still 20 grams is another eye-opener. As far as the taste goes, the sausages were decent but the patties were a different story. Maybe I over-grilled them but even our dogs wouldn’t eat them and they’ve never been nitpickers when it comes to anything vaguely resembling meat. In fact, one of them recently consumed a tennis ball whole, leading to a $7000 emergency surgery bill. Thank God for pet insurance!)

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2019, 09:22:47 AM »
Here is another recent article on the health aspects of the Beyond Meat and Impossible plant-based products:

https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/14413-plant-based-burgers-have-room-for-nutritional-improvement

Peter

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2019, 10:47:07 AM »
 Not sure why you would eat these things. other then helping the environment and all of the other non nutritious reasons people are using today. if I'm going to eat non meat I'll  go with Kellogg morning star products. I know there are people that complain about  some of the chemicals used in the soy. I'll bet it less harmful they all the stuff in the competitive products. I just saw a morning star sausage crumble in my PMQ magazine i want to try.