A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The End of Meat ?  (Read 8207 times)

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The End of Meat ?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »
No self-respecting boomer generation bar-b-que'r would let plastic meat thru the door.

Rolls :)
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 12:36:24 PM »
I know that in side by side, blind tests, both Shake Shack and BK tasters could not tell the difference.

Veggie porterhouses may not fare as well side-by-side at Peter Luger  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 12:43:21 PM »
I hear you, but these youngens think Lugers is where dinosaurs dine.
The times, they are a changing.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2019, 01:01:45 PM »
When vegetables become our main source of protein the world will be at the whims of Mother Nature in a big time way, specific crop types will become dominant and more widely grown thus lowering resistance to insects, fungus and a host  of other insidious attacks suffered by plant species, when this happens we will have a much larger audience competing for a smaller "piece of the pie", and that ain't going to paint a pretty picture. We saw some of this very thing happen just a few years ago when there was a world wide shortage of wheat, remember that time? If not let me remind you, flour (when/if available) was selling for nearly $50.00 a bag! The flour that was available was flour by name only, not the best by any stretch of the imagination, but it was "flour". Much of Asia has transitioned from rice to wheat since the 1960's so the "audience" was size able to say the least. There was an essentially catastrophic wheat crop failure in the U.S., poor planting and growing conditions in Canada, Drought in Australia and poor harvest conditions in Mexico and much of Latin America. Even Russia suffered the same failed crop conditions! What many people don't realize is that the world wheat surplus, which is usually measured in weeks or months was down to being measured in days and finally in hours. There was fear of civil unrest due to food shortages world wide. Yes, there were other crops available for consumption  but their prices had sky rocketed and they were not being grown in sufficient quantity to off-set the wheat shortage, plus don't forget the gluten equation, there are a lot of foods that need gluten. So why not just use gums to replace gluten? Great idea, only one problem, since everyone else thought of that too the cost of ALL types of gums/binders had become cost prohibitive and non-available, we like to refer to this as the domino effect. My point is, if it can happen to wheat it can happen to any other plant. A lost plant crop can be easily converted to animal feed to grow live stock a a source of food, but eating corn/wheat/ milo/bean crop failure is not my idea of fine dining, I'd rather it be fed to the live stock first and then eat the live stock. Just my humble opinion.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2019, 02:22:53 PM »
I hear you, but these youngens think Lugers is where dinosaurs dine.
The times, they are a changing.

Plus Áa change, plus cíest la mÍme chose.

Which also makes me think of Paris 2040, "Tonight we have a delicious cultured meat tartare and a wonderful impossible beef Bourguignon."  ;D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2019, 02:29:23 PM »
Not far off from Vedge, one of the toughest reservations in Philly.
Mushroom Carpaccio, anyone ?

https://www.vedgerestaurant.com/dinner

If you can close your eyes, and not tell the difference..why not ?
Itís not like fake boobs😳

In all fairness, Vedge does not try to fake anything, they just perfected cooking veggies.
Itís the future.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 02:33:05 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2019, 02:42:52 PM »
I listened to a fascinating Freaknomics podcast recently that discussed how meat made its way into the American diet. A central theme of the podcast is the supermarket because it was the "invention" of the supermarket that made it possible to offer things like chicken and beef to consumers at reasonable prices and without having to wait in lines, as was the case with the general stores that existed prior to the creation of supermarkets. A good part of the podcast also relates how the US and the Soviet Union and the Cold War influenced the development of the supermarkets in both countries and the role that technology played in their efforts in that regard.

But back to the food side, in the early days, chicken was very common but it wasn't until after World War I and the Great Depression that followed that beef and other meats derived from livestock became available to the American consumer. But such consumers were not demanding beef and other meats. What had happened around the time of the Great Depression is that the production of corn and soybeans had become so great, and at the same time demand had collapsed, that the government had to do something. So it stepped in to try to salvage the crops and save the farmers from economic disaster. It did this by price supports, loans and other methods. But it was this enormous overhang of corn and soybeans that went to feeding cattle and other livestock, and that was the beginning of the industrialization of the meat industry. Even today, more than 30 percent of corn and more than 50 percent of soybeans grown in the U.S. goes toward feeding cattle and other livestock. As it turned out, even after the crops were diverted to meat production there was still a surplus of corn. That that led to the creation of high-fructose corn syrup (and, later, ethanol).

The new products based on plants are likely to make a dent in the economics of the meat industry but I believe that the impact will be limited and modest. Otherwise, our government will have a new problem on its hands.

For those who would like to listen to the podcast, it can be found at:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/farms-race/

Peter

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2019, 02:47:08 PM »
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/impossible-burger#nutrition

For me, eat some veggies with a real piece of meat or take a multi vitamin!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 02:50:02 PM by Jackitup »
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2019, 06:33:37 PM »
Questlove and Impossible teamed up and created a Philly Cheesesteak that is impossible to tell from itís inspiration, Dellasandroís , a  local institution.
The one  I had at the ballpark was spot on.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolerasul/2019/03/19/questlove-launches-plant-based-cheesesteak-sandwich-made-with-impossible-meat/

Perry

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2019, 07:05:08 PM »
Perry,

History tells us that there are always naysayers and doubters when new inventions are created, but eventually, and albeit slowly, they usually come around to see and appreciate the merits and possibilities that the new inventions provide. Some time ago, I read a nice article that was based on old newspapers reports on how the public reacted to the inventions of the automobile and the airplane. Some of the objections were quite amusing. I perhaps wouldn't rank plant-based meat substitutes with automobiles and airplanes but the same forces may affect the plant-based meat substitutes and accelerate their adoption.

The article is at:

https://www.collaborativefund.com/uploads/Collaborative%20Fund%20--%20What%20We%20Said%20When%20the%20World%20Changed.pdf

Peter

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2019, 07:07:25 PM »
The series The Foods That Built America was VERY good and would speak to some of that!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2019, 07:10:51 PM »
Look at the chart in the link I posted. Their projection is that % of meat drops from 90% to 40% but the total market grows by 50% meaning that by their estimates, the amount of meat consumed drops by 30% not 60% (the drop in market share).

And that's what the chart says.
John

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2019, 07:21:06 PM »
Peter,
Agreed, Itís not for everyone. but we canít stop technology.
The NY strips Iím getting ready to throw on the grill might be hard to replicate, but if we can put a man on the moon, and clone a sheep, Iím betting it wonít be long.

Perry

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2019, 10:41:18 PM »
Fake meat from a lab, killing the ranching industry?? Good grief..I don't know what to say, except, I will happily crawl back under my rock, where there will never be any fake meat!!  :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:09:48 PM by Whisky »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 01:49:18 PM »
And that's what the chart says.

Yes, but not at all what is implied in the story.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 02:29:05 PM »

That's the problem with the news today. The headline implies one thing, the story tells you another, and the research says something else entirely.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2019, 03:40:24 PM »
I perhaps wouldn't rank plant-based meat substitutes with automobiles and airplanes but the same forces may affect the plant-based meat substitutes and accelerate their adoption.

Your comment highlights the point I made earlier. The author is playing with the numbers in an attempt to mislead people. The estimates portending the end of the meat industry are driven by cultured meat - not plant-based replacement. The study found there would be 60% more meat consumed in 2040 as compared to plant-based mean substitutes, however, the quote from the article is "60 percent of the meat eaten in 2040 will be alt" which, while consistent with the study, takes on a bit of a different meaning when you consider that cultured meat isn't ever mentioned in the article.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2019, 07:35:34 PM »

You referred to the chart.
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2019, 08:49:40 PM »
You referred to the chart.

It's not me drinking this time...

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2019, 08:25:49 PM »
This guy is hilarious:

John

wordpress