A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The End of Meat ?  (Read 8998 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: The End of Meat ?
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2019, 06:46:14 AM »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2019, 01:29:37 PM »
I was disappointed to learn the impossible burger, though soy-based, is not healthier than meat:

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a27572446/impossible-burger/
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline TMB

• My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2019, 02:27:00 PM »
I have tried Veggie replacments and to be honest NO WAY for me.   If you like them great but not for me ;)
Live, Ride and Always thank God!
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
1 Home Built pellet grill
Working on a pellet pizza oven
Grill2Go grill
Lots more but not enough room ;)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »
These new things are something I would try once. Even if I liked them I have no desire to change. The next town over from here has a Seventh Day Adventist University, with many international students, and several SDA churches. There is a grocery store there - the main store in town - that has a couple aisles of imitation meat but no real meat. Over the years I have had a couple samples of canned imitation fried chicken in ‘gravy’ and other TVP atrocities. It’s hard to shake those memories, though I understand the current offerings being discussed here are much improved.
-Tony

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2019, 04:05:08 PM »
Over the weekend, I happened to stumble across a new radio show in the Dallas area that features health issues and where the host is a doctor by the name of Bob Martin. During the program, he said that he was going to discuss the merits, or lack thereof, of the Impossible burger and the Beyond Meat burger. I did not have time to listen to that part of the program but I suspected that his comparisons of the two products would be on his website. Today I checked and found a podcast of the program that I has listened to. For those who are interested, they can listen to his discussion of the two burgers and hear how and why he concluded that the Beyond Meat burger was better than the Impossible burger. That discussion starts at 40:30 and ends at 46:56.

http://doctorbob.com/2019/08/20/dr-bob-martin-on-8-17-8-18/ (Sunday, August 18th – Hour 3)

Peter

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2019, 06:04:45 PM »
Peter,
I’m not up enough on the issue of GMO products, and digestive problems, to know if the criticism is valid or not.

Not to open another can of worms , or another thread, but here comes fake coffee.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2019/08/atomo-bean-free-coffee.html

Perry

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2019, 07:44:56 PM »
Peter,
I also did a little research , on Dr. Bob, because he honestly reminded me of Dr. Oz.
More huckster than Doctor.

Seems like there are quite a few skeptics, regarding his advice, and credentials, and reliance on alternative therapies.

https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?537037-quot-Doctor-quot-Bob-Martin-Radio-ghoul&s=f9a2fb67f1c105874025ebcccab0468e

Perry
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 07:46:41 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2019, 10:00:56 PM »
Perry,

Thanks for the citation. I will have to tune in again to his program to get a better feel for what he is selling the public.

Tonight, I came across another article on the two plant-based burgers, this time quoting the CEO of Whole Foods:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/21/whole-foods-ceo-john-mackey-plant-based-meat-not-good-for-your-health.html

Peter

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2019, 10:51:15 PM »
Peter,
One more link on Dr.Bob, from quackwatch.
Not very complementary.

https://www.quackwatch.org/12Web/drbob.html

I imagine many do assume that the vegetable based  meat is healthier.
I just think it tastes great , is easier to prepare and  lighter than a burger, while still satisfying.

Perry

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2019, 12:36:19 AM »

I imagine many do assume that the vegetable based  meat is healthier.
I just think it tastes great , is easier to prepare and  lighter than a burger, while still satisfying.

I'm sure many thought the same thing about margarine vs butter and ended up with heart disease (from the trans fat) or cancer (from the diacetyl). Processed foods just always end up being worse for you, if you're still young you'll learn this over the course of your lifetime.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2019, 12:50:19 AM »
Bottom line, a lot of smoke and mirrors, advertising hype, and a bunch of money made on the front end. Then things will settle down. Good to have options, doubt it's going to change the world overnight!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2019, 09:09:11 AM »
For those who want to find where the plant-based burgers can be found.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2019, 09:25:06 AM »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2019, 09:58:02 AM »
I'll just stick with portabella bacon cheeseburgers if I don't want beef.
John

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2019, 10:31:51 AM »
For those who want to find where the plant-based burgers can be found.

Peter
That is a good graphic to have. Many people who are serious about vegetarian or vegan diets want nothing to do with having their food prepared in pans or on griddles that have (ever) been used to cook meat. I wonder what, if anything, these restaurants are doing to accommodate them.
-Tony

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »
That is a good graphic to have. Many people who are serious about vegetarian or vegan diets want nothing to do with having their food prepared in pans or on griddles that have (ever) been used to cook meat. I wonder what, if anything, these restaurants are doing to accommodate them.

Kindly tell them to buy frozen veggie patties and cook them at home?

Offline Nojo12

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2019, 12:22:37 PM »
I think whats happening is that people these days see all bad things and information that goes with the lower quality meat, so now people are upping their standards with meat....just like beer. Nobody wants the crappy gross beer anymore, its all about the high end beer and lagers, reds, blondes, etc....same applies to meat.

People are strict with the standards of meat, now people want wagyu more often and all this healthy, eco friendly meat standards that go with it.  Its the cow gods reigning down on the meat industry from years of abuse lol.

While people still want the regular meat on their food, the new generation wants the more complex meat.

Offline Nojo12

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2019, 12:23:01 PM »
Kindly tell them to buy frozen veggie patties and cook them at home?

:-D

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2019, 12:51:37 PM »

I'm sure many thought the same thing about margarine vs butter and ended up with heart disease (from the trans fat) or cancer (from the diacetyl). Processed foods just always end up being worse for you, if you're still young you'll learn this over the course of your lifetime.

In the 60’s my Dad had a heart attack, and as per Doctor’s orders, an esteemed cardiologist, the family switched to margarine.
I don’t recall if, or when they switched back, but we all survived..
Dad made it to 92 and Mom to 94.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2019, 01:13:19 PM »

Of more concern, is the preparation of allergan/gluten free food.
John

wordpress