A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Autolyse  (Read 1307 times)

Offline JanCZ

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Autolyse
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 04:55:15 PM »
Ok, so ADY and fresh yeast are better. I can't found fresh beer yeast :/ So next day I will see the result from fresh yeast. I hope the temperature of dough was ok. Can you explain differences of dough temperatures ? Thank you

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2019, 05:06:43 PM »
Ok, so ADY and fresh yeast are better. I can't found fresh beer yeast :/ So next day I will see the result from fresh yeast.

Why are ADY and fresh yeast better?

As far as baking goes, "beer yeast" is just a name. It's not a thing. ADY, IDY, and CY are the same thing as "beer yeast."
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline JanCZ

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 05:30:40 PM »
When I used IDY I have the worst results. With ADY was dough better, but you can see balls are flat and I must reball them for high cornicione. I think less yeast = better taste. But now I'm trying fresh yeast, couple of hours and have nice buns. So I will se next day what is better. When I was using ADY first 24 hours was dough flat and not rising, second day was best nice cornicione nice work with balls(doubled) and third day was too proof - thin undercooked crust...total disaster. Maybe bad temperature in fridge. Maybe using poolish make dough good only for max 2 days. Maybe something another was bad.

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
  • Love the wood fired oven
    • Roberts Machinery
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2019, 08:24:20 PM »
Edit:  when I reviewed my first post on this I discovered that I gave an incorrect link.  His pizza dough recipe does not use the autolyse and pinser mixing technique.  He uses the autolyse for his bread method.  I am searching for it and will post as soon as I find it.   For now I will leave the link to his pizza dough method.

OK  here is the correct link to Ken's autolyse for bread that can be easily adapted to pizza dough.   The  bread recipe uses an overnight cold ferment and I think that could easily be extended for the long times popular here.  The real reason I wanted to share this post is his autolyse and pincer method of getting the salt and yeast blended after the autolyse.
Here are the links.   The second one should start automatically but in case it does not here is the direct link.

====================================================
edit:    this is his pizza technique .... no autolyse
Ken Forkish author of the book Flour Water Salt Yeast has a technique of doing autolyse
that you may like to try.

see his video 

he does what you want to do
autolyse with nothing but flour and water
add yeast and salt and incorporate with his pincer style of mixing

I've tried it and it works well.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:08:03 AM by Brent-r »
Brent

A D V E R T I S E M E N T