A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Luigi's Pizza in Brooklyn (5th Ave)  (Read 936 times)

Offline cbruno4444

• I Love Pizza!
Luigi's Pizza in Brooklyn (5th Ave)
« on: August 23, 2019, 12:37:49 AM »
Really surprised that with so many NYC pizza connoisseurs here, there's very little mention of my favorite shop - Luigi's Pizza.  I was born and raised in NYC, in an Italian-American family, and am proud to say that I've eaten at a LOT of local pizza joints throughout my years.  Luigi's is BY FAR the best typical NY slice, in my opinion. Their round pies are impossibly thin, but still have that incredible balance of crispiness and chewiness.  Not filling at all. I won't even attempt a guess at what's in their sauce - it's probably cooked, and better than any pizza sauce I've ever had.  Visually, they look to be in the Joe's family, but they eat and taste much better, in my opinion. 

Anyone out there familiar, or could venture a guess as to their dough formulation?  I spied a bag of all Trumps in the back, but I don't have any other information.  Their sicilian is unreal also - extremely light, but with a very hard, crisp crust which isn't at all browned as much as you'd expect it to be. I'm thinking it's a different dough recipe altogether, and probably higher hydration. But then again, there's no craggly, bubbly undercarriage, so maybe not so high hydration.  Very confusing! :-\

P.S. - It's a small shop with about 8 chairs, but the owner and workers are really nice people.  Definitely treat you like family if you're a regular. 

Offline hotsawce

Re: Luigi's Pizza in Brooklyn (5th Ave)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 12:55:25 PM »
Excellent slices! It’s just a trip to South Slope. They’ve been around as long as they have for a reason, though!

Offline jim s

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 11:44:54 PM »
Very very good NY slices, no pretense, awesome people!

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 12:58:27 PM »
We need more people like you posting about different pizzerias. Otherwise the discussion will be dominated by Joe's and Johnny's. Not that they aren't worthy of discussion, but from reading the forum you might think there were only a few decent pizzerias across all the boroughs. I'm doing what I can to contribute,  but I bake alot more pizza than I buy, and my preference is skewed towards Queens (namely Lucia of late).

Regarding Luigi's, would they sell you dough and sauce? What makes you say the sauce is cooked? I'm struggling mightily to reproduce my favorite pizzeria sauces, the reallly good ones have something special going on.

Frank Pinello's show had a nice segment at Luigi's where you can see a pie being prepped. I think the Bon Appetit video had shots of a pre-baked pie too. I can post links later if you'd like.

All that said, any formula posted here will likely be a wild guess. You can try asking the owner for info, but short of that, getting your hands on a dough ball is your best way for info (with the videos last resort).

Matt

Offline PizzaJerk

• May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 06:53:44 PM »
I would think that the Sicilian dough is the same as the regular dough. That's just normal protocol for pizzerias. However, I'm sure with some exceptions of course. I remember being taught to use the less than stellar dough such as maybe being a day past prime or a bit over fermented for Sicilians. We would stack 2 regular dough's for a square.

Andrew Bellucci

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 01:19:25 AM »
We need more people like you posting about different pizzerias. Otherwise the discussion will be dominated by Joe's and Johnny's. Not that they aren't worthy of discussion, but from reading the forum you might think there were only a few decent pizzerias across all the boroughs. I'm doing what I can to contribute,  but I bake alot more pizza than I buy, and my preference is skewed towards Queens (namely Lucia of late).

So many great slices out there.  I love Scarr's (and love Scarr) - the slice keeps getting incrementally better.  Also interesting "dynamic" between Scarr & Joe's (he said/he said).  I love Sac's in Astoria.  They [had] the best coal-oven slice in NYC (Patsy's slices are so hit and miss for the past 10 years).  They closed recently and are moving to the other side of Astoria - but the coal oven is gone.  We'll see...
L'Industrie is fantastic!  Never disappointed and their chili oil is killer.  I tried Lucia a couple weeks ago.  Not my cup of tea.

Regarding Luigi's, would they sell you dough and sauce? What makes you say the sauce is cooked? I'm struggling mightily to reproduce my favorite pizzeria sauces, the reallly good ones have something special going on.

All that said, any formula posted here will likely be a wild guess. You can try asking the owner for info, but short of that, getting your hands on a dough ball is your best way for info (with the videos last resort).

Had a horrible upside/down today at Pipitone's.  It had been on my list, now it's off.

Haven't had Luigi's in 10 years.  Early lunch tomorrow...

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 07:18:44 AM »
I tried Lucia a couple weeks ago.  Not my cup of tea.

Any clue of what might be in their sauce?

Matt

Andrew Bellucci

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 02:03:11 PM »
Any clue of what might be in their sauce?

No idea. But I just had a slice at Luigi's on Fifth. It reminded me of Lucia's. Ok neighborhood slice, but now I rember why I haven't been to Luigi's in 10 years. See you in 2030?

Offline wb54885

• provare per credere
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 09:57:21 PM »
I think of Scarr’s, Joe’s, L’industrie, and Luigi’s as all being canvas slices:  they’re perfectly balanced and architecturally impressive, but they come across very neutral to me in terms of flavor. So, they’re ready to be customized with chili flake/garlic powder/Parmesan etc. as the customer sees fit. Lucia hits me like a complete flavor that someone specifically set out with intent to deliver. I love all these slices, but I wouldn’t top a Lucia slice with anything; I’d lightly salt and pepper the others. Patsy’s, when it’s on, is a slice that transcends the division for me.

Scott Wiener recently called Luigi’s “the honest truth” about NY pizza, so you’re definitely not alone cbruno!! One of the advantages Luigi’s has going for them is (or so I remember hearing) a multi-stage proofing process consisting of three coolers at staggered temps, allowing for a lot of control over the state of their dough when it’s fired. Assuming this is true, I’d be curious to know how long ago they got so technologically savvy in their pizza making. I wouldn’t imagine they always had that system in place, and it’s not a luxury I’ve heard of in any other pizzeria. The family reportedly also owns their building, which lets them put such a system into place at all.

How long have you been eating at Luigi’s, and has the pizza always had the same qualities?
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Andrew Bellucci

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »
I'm reading these reviews and saying no #*%$ way we're talking about the same place.

And we're not.

There's two Luigi's on 5th Avenue in Brooklyn. I went to the one in Sunset Park at 47th Street. The Luigi's you're talking about is at 20th Street.

Never been to the Luigi's at 20th. Right by one of my favorite places in New York :

Jubilat. Incredible kielbasa and the best Black Forest Ham I've ever had.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/j5EYgUFDAZ

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 10:55:00 AM »
First,  here's a couple pictures that may help the original poster or others in helping determine how to replicate Luigi's.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 10:56:46 AM »
And here's where Andrew went by accident, I hope you feel ok  :-D

Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »
And here's where Andrew went by accident, I hope you feel ok  :-D

WOW That Hawaiian slice really says it all!

the proof is in the pizza

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 12:01:28 PM »
WOW That Hawaiian slice really says it all!

Yum!  :-D
Hans

Andrew Bellucci

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 01:37:11 PM »
That's the pizza I saw and I'm thinking WTF am I not understanding about this place!

And I'm not feeling well. But could have been DiFaras...

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »
Lived in brooklyn for 10 years after college, used to play in the borough softball league in prospect park in the 80s, Luigi’s was our go-to.

I tried to get the chau pizza tour to visit Luigi’s (and Julliannas instead of waiting on the crazy line at lucali)  but made no headway:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=51896.msg522790;topicseen#msg522790

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:50:47 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 07:31:12 AM »
The link below does show a good photo of Luigi's slice and other good photos (first four photo's at Luigi's), and how they prepare the Sicilian doughs in the pan at Di Fara's, L&B Spumoni photos, Patsy's, Motorino's, Lucali and many more.  Interesting that the one Joe's slice on Carmine shows a dark big bubble in the rim crust. 

https://www.bermanpictures.com/new-york-pizza-documentary-photography

Norma

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 07:45:47 AM »
There are so many great photos at that site, Norma. Thanks for pointing it out.
-Tony