A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The process on making the best dough?  (Read 591 times)

Offline Elevatedpizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
The process on making the best dough?
« on: September 25, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
Hi there

My name is Johnny i own a pizzeria in Canada and just started out about 3 months ago. I really want to perfect our dough as i feel like it can come out a lot better. We are doing a nice thin crust with very little edge and on the crispier side. I also want to know the best order of what to do after its done mixing, divide into dough balls first or after rise etc? How long in the fridge and to sit out for after?

Im also looking for the best way to pre-stretch the doughs before our busy times as its really stressful to do them up when its busy. I also use a rolling pin and i do not think that is ideal at all as it takes a solid 1-2 minutes depending how the dough ball cooperates  We use mesh aluminum pizza screens and they tend to stick and get dried out within 30 minutes. I do have a pizza tree and was reading up on using parchment and a pizza tree cover etc, where could i get those as i cant find anything local.

We have a 20 QT planetary commercial mixer with 3 speeds and our dough recipe is as follows.

16 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 TBSP pink Himalayan salt
4 TBSP Red Star active dry yeast
1600ml warm water
1 TBSP olive oil

At the moment we let the dough rise and then divide them up and let it sit at room temp for 24 hours before we use them. The remaining dough i will put into the cooler and pull it out the next morning 2 hours before we open and try to use the rest up. If i dont use it all up i will put in the fridge for a second time and re use. If it hasnt been busy and we still have dough left i will chuck it out and make new dough. The dough quality significantly reduces day after day and is very hard to work with, it rips easily and is not ideal to use at all.

Can i please get some help on this as i want to master this process and take my business to the next level. Thank you.

Johnny

Offline jsaras

Re: The process on making the best dough?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »
The first adjustment you should make is to weigh your ingredients.  The Lehmann recipe given in the forum is a good place to start for a commercial dough, but you'll need to make adjustments to make it work with your oven and bake time.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Elevatedpizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 06:30:51 PM »
The first adjustment you should make is to weigh your ingredients.  The Lehmann recipe given in the forum is a good place to start for a commercial dough, but you'll need to make adjustments to make it work with your oven and bake time.

Yes i will start to weigh my ingredients. Can you link me to that recipe?

Offline jsaras

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 07:18:40 PM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:21:45 PM by jsaras »
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Elevatedpizzaco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 09:52:03 PM »
https://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann-nystyle.php.  This is a link to the many variants of the recipe: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1453.0

I made this dough recipe today

Curious to see how it turns out tomorrow.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »
You could save some time working like this, the time turning or using a roller is reduced:
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 11:25:07 PM »
Hi,

As Jsaras said and as Tom would said, we need to change this "recipe" into a formula and procedure.

My first suggestion for the overall management of the dough is to CF after balling instead of your RTF, but it needs fridge room. You can plan to make a 48H CF (that is also a marketing argument), and take dough balls out 1H to xx H before baking, according to your flow, RT and preference.

About the stretching, you can previously open your dough with a roller or by hand (if you make 12' you can open into a 8' first), put back in the dough tray/dough box, and when you need to use you just have to make a final stretch to get to your 12'.

Let us know about your latest batch!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso