A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Breville Pizzaiolo: Have you experienced a cracked stone?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline BostonBestEats

• Clearly you need more Hawaiian pizza in your life
Breville Pizzaiolo: Have you experienced a cracked stone?
« on: August 23, 2019, 01:49:06 PM »
There have been some reports here and elsewhere of the stone cracking in the Breville Pizzaiolo.  It would be nice to get an idea of how prevalent this is.

If you own one, please answer the above poll question, and if you have experienced a cracked stone, please describe your experience below.

After how many uses did it crack?
How badly did it crack?
Did you continue to use the cracked stone?
Did you get a replacement?
How good was Breville's customer service?

Thanks!

http://smartovenpizzaiolo.breville.com/us/

There is a long thread on this device here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=53390.0

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Breville Pizzaiolo: Have you experienced a cracked stone?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 02:01:39 PM »
I have had what seems to be a cosmetic crack that I noticed after just a few uses (it may have been there since Day 1). It has not expanded nor been a problem in any way.  Breville sent a replacement immediately; customer service was exceptional. I'm still using the original stone after a few hundred loads.

Rule #1 for me is that the most moisture the stone ever sees is from a barely damp cloth. The underside of the stone seems porous enough that even a small amount of absorbed moisture might cause fissures leading to failure when exposed to the extreme heat of the oven.

Offline josh16

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 02:32:11 PM »
i also was worried about this before buying my breville oven. when i received the oven, which was shipped to me which wasnt my first choice but the best option for me, i inspected the stone very carefully and found no cracks. i inspect it each time i clean it as well, so far i have seen no cracks at all. still really nervous about cracks but the oven is worth it!

as bill said, minimize moisture. for my cleaning ive found running the oven at 750 (full open) for 5-10 minutes then letting cool for several hours and scrapping will clean any mess up without any water needed. i figure if it is supposed to cook like a wood oven it should clean like one too, burn the mess right off!

Offline tddr12

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »
Two different stones developed cracks within first couple of uses, at exactly the same spots as reported in the Breville Pizzaiolo thread on here. To clean, I waited until the unit fully cooled down, used a plastic bowl scraper and a barely damp paper-towel, and made sure everything was dry before operating again. No water on the underside, ever.

Neither stone fully broke apart before I simply returned the entire unit. One crack had started chipping, as it was deep enough that the metal paddle would get bumped when sliding over it. Of course there are workarounds: You don't have to slide the paddle over the stone or you could just use a wooden one; you can also put another baking stone on top of the Breville one. But in the end, we are talking about a very expensive piece of equipment. I just could not (and cannot) justify dropping so much money on a device with such an obvious design or manufacturing fault -- especially when it only comes with a two-year warranty. (The story would be different if it was in the 5-10 year range like some other high-end domestic kitchen appliances.)

Beyond these dumb stones, the oven was marvelous. As was the pizza that came out of it. I'm kind of heartbroken over it. I'll be right back in the market for one if the price drops and/or Breville says: "We figured it out and here's the solution that doesn't involve replacing stones over and over again."

BTW, there's a guy selling your ovens for a heavily discounted price on one of the selling apps. Google shopping lists it when you search for the oven. To me, it looks like those have fallen off the truck somewhere, but if anybody wants to take the risk...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 05:02:57 PM by tddr12 »

Offline mmm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 10:11:20 PM »
My initial stone had a thin crack that I noticed after the first couple of bakes. Before the first use I cleaned the surface as directed in the manual. For all other cleanings I just removed the stone and scraped off burnt residue. After about 150 bakes, my stone snapped in half right along where my crack was while removing it from the oven. This was partly my fault as my hand slipped off the oven door and as the door came up with half the stone exposed, it broke in two :(

Breville was easy to deal with. They sent me a new stone within a week.

Truthfully, Iíd be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for replacement stones on an ongoing rate because the pizza this thing turns out is so vastly superior to anything else Iíve been able to achieve with my traditional oven and in a fraction of the time.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 07:23:42 PM »
I purchased my oven in 11/18 and the stone has never developed a crack.  I scrap it off, after it has fully cooled, with the plastic scrapper Bill/SFN recommended somewhere in this thread.  I then rinse it under the sink faucet with cold water which is probably not the wisest thing to do.  However, there is usually a week minimum between my bakes so I guess it dries out well enough in Denver's dry climate.

If it were to develop a crack, I'd order a new stone and continue to bake on the cracked stone, just like I'd deal any other cracked stone.  A crack is no big deal. The oven performs well, and is so convenient to use, the thought of a possible stone crack wouldn't cause me to reconsider my purchase.

Offline slhill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 03:05:48 AM »
I’ve had two stones crack, one break and one failure of the unit  :-\

I’ve been very careful to follow the directions, not getting the stone wet, cleaning it super gently, etc...

Each time, Breville has been excellent about replacing the entire unit.  It would have been nice if they could replace just the stone, but that didn’t seem to be an option.

I do love the oven however and the pizza it makes!

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 09:53:28 PM »
I’ve had two stones crack, one break and one failure of the unit  :-\

I’ve been very careful to follow the directions, not getting the stone wet, cleaning it super gently, etc...

Each time, Breville has been excellent about replacing the entire unit.  It would have been nice if they could replace just the stone, but that didn’t seem to be an option.

I do love the oven however and the pizza it makes!

I've got the impression from others that they just replace the stone.  Has anyone else had them replace the whole unit just for a broken stone?  Or maybe they've run out of backup stones.

What happened with the unit failure?  After how many uses did it fail?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:56:40 PM by BostonBestEats »

Offline slhill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 10:13:50 AM »
I've got the impression from others that they just replace the stone.  Has anyone else had them replace the whole unit just for a broken stone?  Or maybe they've run out of backup stones.

What happened with the unit failure?  After how many uses did it fail?

I was a bit surprised that each time they asked me to send back the whole unit! They do pay shipping, but itís a big box to ship. I really hope the solve the issue of the stones cracking and can quickly replace with non-breaking stones in the future!

The unit failure was after only a few times of using it - it stopped heating up properly and the lights on the temperature knob would just blink all the time. Hadnít hear about that from anyone in this forum before.

Offline Zinc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 12:09:09 PM »
I had my initial stone get what seems to be a cosmetic crack after the very first cook on it. Like others have said, Breville was very quick to get a replacement stone out to me, which I'm still holding on to while I continue to use the original. But after at least 80+ pies, mostly pan style, it has only seemed to get a little worse.

Offline pmk

• Oven: Pizza Party Passione, Breville Pizzaiolo
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 03:39:37 PM »
Hey all:

I have a v2 unit (BPZ820BSS1BUC1) with the new style stone and it split clean in two on the fourth or fifth bake.  No unusual handling and the stone was bone dry.

I contacted Breville and was told that the stone is out of stock, but they can exchange the entire unit (!).  Waiting to hear whether they are planning to do an advance exchange or not, as I've discarded the voluminous packaging.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 04:52:22 PM »
Wow that is shocking. Such a great oven they really pushed the boundaries with it. Slam a Larry stone on top and keep cooking.

Offline pmk

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 10:48:36 AM »
I tried the larry stone and honestly found the stock stone to provide a more even bake.  I've only done ~6 pies in it, though, and only half of those with the extra stone in, so it could be inexperience.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 08:00:13 PM »
I tried the larry stone and honestly found the stock stone to provide a more even bake.  I've only done ~6 pies in it, though, and only half of those with the extra stone in, so it could be inexperience.

just want you to know I only use the raised stone for Neapolitan bakes. I know most users do not raise the pizza. its just a personal preference. I am using the logic that the p134h owners use. they like the pizza closer to the top element.

Offline pmk

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »
To close the loop, Breville did do an advance replacement of the entire oven (!) to replace the cracked stone.  So a good customer service experience, albeit a pretty expensive one for Breville!

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 01:17:24 PM »
Just in case people find this old thread when searching and reach the wrong conclusion: Breville has released an updated model Pizzaiolo (# '820) that has a round stone, and it's been out for a while now.  AFAIK, no one has reported any spontaneously cracking stones with the new model, so the problem seems to be solved.

Back to your regularly scheduled pizza...

Offline mikenyc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 07:45:50 PM »
i have a v2 unit. i tried contacting breville roughly a month ago via the chat on their website and haven't heard back from them.