A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Basic questions  (Read 451 times)

Offline 72hours

• I Love Pizza!
Basic questions
« on: August 24, 2019, 02:15:49 AM »
Hi,

I'm very new to pizza making and hope you can help me with a few basic questions regarding making Neapolitan style pizza.

My setup is as follows:

* I use Caputo pizzeria flour (00).
* I use active dry yeast.
* I normally do cold ferment for 72-78 hours.
* I have an Ooni pro oven which gets up to 850-900 degrees F.
* My hydration level is normally 60%.

My normal dough recipe is a slight modification of this one:

My questions are:

• What flour to yeast ration do you recommend? I've been experimenting with 1% (from the recipe above) and 0.5%, and I read on the Lehmann Pizza Dough Calculator that the recommended ratio is between 0.25-0.75%.
  • What's the recommended water temperature to activate the yeast? Previously, I used room temperature water, and the dough was so sticky and it was unworkable. Then, I read from internet and my 00 flour packaging that the water temperature should be 105F-110F, and with that temperature, my dough is no longer sticky and pretty easy to work with. But then this website recommends between 100F-105F, and the pizza bible recommends around 80-85F. I'm rather confused about this.
  • The bottom of my pizza always looks a bit burnt. I suspect that it's due to the amount of flour I put on it for launching. However, I also suspect that my oven is a bit too hot. So, what floor temperature would you guys recommend for cooking the type of dough I make?
  • Related to 3, I would like to reduce the amount of flour I put on the bottom of my pizzas, but I don't want to increase the difficulty of launching. Right now, I assemble my pizza on the table, and then move it on the peel. Is there another technique I can use while reducing the amount of flour?

Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Basic questions
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
My suggestion is to use 0.5% ADY which should be hydrated/activated in about 5 times its weight of water at 100 to 105F.
Adjust the temperature of the remainder of the water to give you a finished dough temperature in the 75 to 80F range (favoring 75F).
To address your peel dust issue please provide your complete dough management procedure.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Qapla

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »
Have you tried assembling your pizza on the peel?

Once assembled, add a small amount of flour under the launching edge just prior to launching

Offline 72hours

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 08:47:45 PM »
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

My assembly process is as follows:

1. I put flour on the table.
2. I get a piece of dough and put it in my flour bowel, flip it to make sure there is flour on both sides.
3. I put the dough on the table and stretch it out. And I make there are no sticky points.
4. I put the toppings on.
5. I move it on the peel.
6. I launch the pizza.

Is this the right process?

Thank you!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 02:18:24 AM »
It's a lot easier to open the skin and place it onto a wood prep-peel, then dress it as desired and peel it into the oven. Fine corn meal, semolina flour or rice flour are all good for use as a peel dust.

Offline 72hours

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 11:15:56 AM »
Thank you Tom!

Is there a brand of wood peel youíd vouch for?

Iíve been reading the reviews an Amazon and every peel that Iíve looked like has at least 5% of reviews that said it cracked/warped/became unusable after just a few uses ... 

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 04:18:58 PM »
All of my peels are from <MrPeel.com> They WILL ALWAYS warp if NOT handled properly.
I also have a peel from <portionpeels.com> which I like a lot as it has lazar burned circles on the top side to help size and keep your pizzas round. I believe their peels are also from Mr. Peel.
1) Wipe the new peel with mineral oil over ALL surfaces. This will help to seal the wood.
2) NEVER/NEVER/EVER wash your peel. Wipe it with a slightly damp towel if it needs cleaning.
3) Over time your peel may develop rough spots, these are easily removed by LIGHTLY sanding with a 220 or finer grit sand paper, and then resealing.
4) Periodically wipe your peel down with a little mineral oil.
5) Remember, wood peels are are prep peels, they are not meant to remove pizzas from the oven.

wordpress