A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Oven appropriate for a beginner?  (Read 1682 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Oven appropriate for a beginner?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 06:19:39 PM »

someone fresh off the street with no prior exprience and has them prepare the dough, stretch and top the skins, and fire them, much less serve them to their customers, from day one. Heck, even PH, PJs, Dominos, and Little Caesar's don't do that.

No matter which oven you have you still have to prepare the dough, stretch and top the skins...

May as well start with the oven you want.
Hans

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 12:04:10 AM »
But they also don't just jump in and start baking from the get-go: they go through an (often extended, intensive) apprenticeship under the tutelage of an experienced pizzaiolo to learn and solidify ALL the basic skills and techniques before they start manning the oven.

I don't know of any NP, or other style of pizza, restaurant of any renown that takes someone fresh off the street with no prior exprience and has them prepare the dough, stretch and top the skins, and fire them, much less serve them to their customers, from day one. Heck, even PH, PJs, Dominos, and Little Caesar's don't do that.

I appreciate your passion and I am basically with you.

However, we are not talking brain surgery here.  Making a pizza that most people will think is better than the one that they can buy down the street, does not require a skill set requiring a lengthy apprenticeship, or even reading War and Peace.  It's harder than cooking a King Salmon filet, but easier than making quenelles de sandre (from pike).

Not having ever made quenelles, but knowing those who can, it's a skill, but not akin to making a lot more complicated things.

Let's not make more of this pizza making thing than it is.

This is not to say that there are not extremely gifted pizziaolas, but most people will be really happy with a pizza that is probably below your standards.

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 05:57:30 PM »
but most people will be really happy with a pizza that is probably below your standards.

I certainly prove that statement every time I make pizza. I've got an OONI Pro with the gas burner I run at around 650-700F and tend to make a 60% hydration dough with All Trumps that I rest for 2 to 5 days at 34F and mostly people who come for pizza rave about how good it is. And I say thanks, knowing how much better it might be if I ever figure out what I'm doing.

Ira

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress