A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Making the Legendary Prince St. Pizza Square Slice  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Making the Legendary Prince St. Pizza Square Slice
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 12:58:43 AM »
Made an attempt today.

Norma
that's a really nice baked dough Norma ...r really nice, not many folks can do that on the fly like you.  🤠
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 06:41:38 AM »
that's a really nice baked dough Norma ...r really nice, not many folks can do that on the fly like you.  🤠

Thanks Bob!  Did have experiences with Detroit style pies and Sicilian's.  Each one is a little different though.  Always variables come into play.   :-D

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2019, 09:31:01 AM »
Craig and Deb,

Do you think he might mean regular block mozzarella when he says fresh mozzarella? 

About 6:27 seconds in the below video it looks like he is picking up regular sliced mozzarella.

Norma, no I'm pretty sure that sliced fresh loaf mozz. The delivery truck you see at 4:50 in the video you posted pretty much confirms it. That's a Lioni Latticini truck. I don't think they sell anything except fresh. I think he's slicing up 5# fresh mozz loaves.

https://www.lionimozzarella.com/
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »
Norma, no I'm pretty sure that sliced fresh loaf mozz. The delivery truck you see at 4:50 in the video you posted pretty much confirms it. That's a Lioni Latticini truck. I don't think they sell anything except fresh. I think he's slicing up 5# fresh mozz loaves.

https://www.lionimozzarella.com/

Thanks so much Craig!  I didn't watch the entire video.   :-D  Glad you pick up the truck with the brand of fresh mozzarella.   ;D  Didn't even know there was a fresh mozzarella that looked like that.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2019, 11:03:34 AM »
Thanks so much Craig!  I didn't watch the entire video.   :-D  Glad you pick up the truck with the brand of fresh mozzarella.   ;D  Didn't even know there was a fresh mozzarella that looked like that.

I think you'll like it. I can get the belgioioso fresh loaf here, and I've used it on lots of prince st. knockoff pies, and I really like the fresh cheese on it a lot. It's one of my favorite meals to make up at my church.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2019, 11:10:40 AM »
I think you'll like it. I can get the belgioioso fresh loaf here, and I've used it on lots of prince st. knockoff pies, and I really like the fresh cheese on it a lot. It's one of my favorite meals to make up at my church.

Craig,

Thanks for sharing that you use Belgioloso fresh loaf and you used it on lots of Prince St. knockoff pies.   ;D  Do you have a recipe for the dough and anything else?  Never thought of using sliced fresh mozzarella on a Sicilian pizza.  You know so much!   :chef:

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2019, 11:23:08 AM »
Craig,

Thanks for sharing that you use Belgioloso fresh loaf and you used it on lots of Prince St. knockoff pies.   ;D  Do you have a recipe for the dough and anything else?  Never thought of using sliced fresh mozzarella on a Sicilian pizza.  You know so much!   :chef:

Norma

Almost all of the pepperoni squares from this post forwards in my square thread are loaf fresh mozz: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40636.msg482597#msg482597

I've been making it at 64%HR with All-trumps or Superlative/Full Strength, but after watching that video of him pressing out the dough, I think I'm going to dial it back to about 58% and see what happens.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 12:08:41 PM »
Almost all of the pepperoni squares from this post forwards in my square thread are loaf fresh mozz: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40636.msg482597#msg482597

I've been making it at 64%HR with All-trumps or Superlative/Full Strength, but after watching that video of him pressing out the dough, I think I'm going to dial it back to about 58% and see what happens.

Thanks so much Craig, for referencing you thread where you used fresh mozzarella on you square thread.  Those square pies sure looks delicious.  :drool: Never thought about using fresh mozzarella on a square pie and guess didn't really pay enough attention what you were doing on that thread.   :-[

Your help is much appreciated, and will be following your square thread!

Can't explain why, but have been liking Sicilian pizzas more lately.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2019, 12:16:08 PM »
Can't explain why, but have been liking Sicilian pizzas more lately.

Me too.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2019, 12:24:46 PM »
Me too.

;D  I'm sure your square pies are better than Prince St.  You can pay attention to detail better than they can.  ;D  Looking forward to another attempt.

Norma

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2019, 12:39:20 PM »

I'd forgotten about those killer pies of yours.   :drool:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 03:51:53 PM »
I notice from the videos in this thread that the Price Street pizzeria uses a fra diavolo pizza sauce made from San Marzano tomatoes. Has anyone who has posted in this thread tried such a sauce with a Prince Street clone? Outside of this thread, I found this post on a Prince Street clone sauce that also references a Serious Eats article at https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/the-food-lab-spicy-spring-new-york-best-sicilian-pizza-at-home.html:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52086.msg524020#msg524020

As for the pepperoni brand used at Prince Street Pizza, I know that Hans and Lou say that it is the Hormel Rosa Grande. So does Scott Wiener of scottspizzatours:

https://blog.scottspizzatours.com/post/135731549189/home-pizza-making-a-tale-of-two-flours

I also note that Hormel mentions Prince Street Pizza and its use of a cupping-type pepperoni at https://www.hormelfoods.com/newsroom/company-news/the-great-pepperoni-debate-should-it-lie-flat-on-your-pizza-or-curl-up/ (the full article is at the Wall Street Journal), but the article does not specifically say that Prince Street uses the Hormel brand.

For a good article on the use of cup-type pepperoni in NYC, see https://ny.eater.com/2019/2/8/18214007/roni-cup-and-char-pepperoni-pizza-nyc-trend-instagram-ace-endico-ezzo-restaurants.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2019, 02:37:12 PM »
Funny, they blurred out the Hormel logo, but not the product label.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEJLHopLTCc&feature=youtu.be&t=90

At 1:30, 'the pepperoni curls up... the oil sits in the cup... people think it's grease... and it's not..."

Ummm, yes, it is.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEJLHopLTCc&feature=youtu.be&t=90

At 1:30, 'the pepperoni curls up... the oil sits in the cup... people think it's grease... and it's not..."

Ummm, yes, it is.
Craig,

When I heard that yesterday I started to laugh, especially when there weren’t any signs that oil was added to the pizzas after the bake. Also, I read somewhere that one or more of the pepperoni makers are trying to figure out how to reduce the amount of oil released by the pepperoni that ends up in the cups.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2019, 07:08:16 PM »

The kid has some choice quotes. At 2:00 in this one; "a lot of these pans, they're only made cast iron or they make it metal. Metal will melt in there."

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2019, 10:38:13 PM »

The kid has some choice quotes. At 2:00 in this one; "a lot of these pans, they're only made cast iron or they make it metal. Metal will melt in there."

Craig,

Yes laughed at that and the pepperoni grease too.  What do you think they use to make that spicy stuff they had in that little cup?

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2019, 07:40:09 AM »
Need to work on this. 

Norma

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2019, 08:54:56 AM »
Need to work on this. 

Norma

Nice! I need to work on getting back to Root's!
Hans

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
hey guys making this tonight with a mamas too style dough.   Can anyone help me out with a thickness factor?

wordpress