A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Making the Legendary Prince St. Pizza Square Slice  (Read 4164 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Making the Legendary Prince St. Pizza Square Slice
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2019, 09:18:52 AM »
hey guys making this tonight with a mamas too style dough.   Can anyone help me out with a thickness factor?

For a half sheet pan, 900g dough is working pretty well for me, so someplace around 0.135.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2019, 02:02:00 AM »
I know Jon said 5 to 10 per cent oil for mamas but I recall the number closer to 15-20. Iíll see what chau recalls.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2019, 07:10:01 AM »
thanks so much guys!

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »
I hope I didn't get it wrong. That's what I had written in my notes from the day.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »
I asked chau and he agreed with you jon.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2019, 08:09:06 AM »
Fresh mozzarella to be tried tomorrow.  A little better results pressing dough in pan yesterday with Pomace oil.

Norma

Online mrmafix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2019, 01:05:40 AM »
Where can we find the mamaís too style recipe?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2019, 12:58:57 PM »
Fresh mozzarella to be tried tomorrow.  A little better results pressing dough in pan yesterday with Pomace oil.

Norma
do you like fresh mozz on your market NY style pies Norma? Do you mix/add other type of cheese with it?
I've been thinking about adding dollops of fresh on my NY pizzas.
Thanks.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2019, 09:22:56 PM »
do you like fresh mozz on your market NY style pies Norma? Do you mix/add other type of cheese with it?
I've been thinking about adding dollops of fresh on my NY pizzas.
Thanks.  :chef:

Chicago Bob,

I do like fresh mozzarella on some of the experimental NY style pies that were made.  I did mix regular mild cheddar, Bella Fran mozzarella and fresh mozzarella.  They all were shredded together.

Just try adding dollops of fresh mozzarella to see if you like that.  :) The fresh mozzarella I purchased above was somewhat drier like a regular mozzarella only a little wetter.  It could be hand sliced like regular mozzarella too.

Norma

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
Here's a Prince Street-influenced square I baked last night. Definitely going to be making more in the future.

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2019, 11:11:58 AM »
Another pic:

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »
I tried something like this yesterday evening.  I posted it on the "Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update" thread too.

AT flour, 70%HR, 2% Salt 4% OO, 0.4% IDY and 24hr CF.  TF was 0.14.

Close to 16oz of "log style" fresh mozz (I had a hard time slicing it with a knife), about 10oz of Margarita Brand Natural Casing Pepperoni, and the sauce Peter linked to here https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/the-food-lab-spicy-spring-new-york-best-sicilian-pizza-at-home.html.

I could have used more of the sauce and will next time.  The sauce is pretty spicy!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2019, 10:22:05 AM »
Paul that looks tasty!!! did you like the sauce flavors? you said it was spicy

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2019, 11:21:56 AM »
Paul that looks tasty!!! did you like the sauce flavors? you said it was spicy

Thanks, Larry!

I liked the sauce quite a bit. It is the first time I ever cooked a sauce for a pizza.  Usually I'm not that ambitious when it comes to my sauce.  For NP's it just straight tomato and for other styles just tomato and a bit of oregano and bit of black pepper.

For this sauce I used Bianco DiNapoli Organic Whole Peeled Tomatoes and about 2/3 of the garlic called for.  Everything else was the same.  I may have over-browned the garlic just a bit :o.  I'll definitely try this again.

Offline Jose L. Piedra

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »
Another effort. I need more top heat.

Offline thunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2019, 01:32:12 AM »
At 1:10 in this video, he says it's fresh mozz.

He seems to speak fast and loose about a lot of things.  I watched several videos recently of theirs and many seem contradictory. He also says the grease from their pepperoni is actually olive oil. lol  I got the impression though that they used fresh mozzarella on their "Fancy Prince Street" which is sort of a Margherita pizza in a pan and sliced dry mozzarella on the Spicy Spring.  You can see here: https://www.seamless.com/menu/prince-st-pizza-27-prince-st-new-york/264357/menu-item/6844583

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2019, 10:54:27 PM »
What gave you that impression? It says "fresh mozzarella" under the spicy spring description.

He seems to speak fast and loose about a lot of things.  I watched several videos recently of theirs and many seem contradictory. He also says the grease from their pepperoni is actually olive oil. lol  I got the impression though that they used fresh mozzarella on their "Fancy Prince Street" which is sort of a Margherita pizza in a pan and sliced dry mozzarella on the Spicy Spring.  You can see here: https://www.seamless.com/menu/prince-st-pizza-27-prince-st-new-york/264357/menu-item/6844583

Offline thunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2019, 07:20:00 PM »
What gave you that impression? It says "fresh mozzarella" under the spicy spring description.

Primarily, because I have not seen sliced fresh mozzarella that "thin" nor dry before. I found it hard to imagine fresh thin slices neatly stacked and easy to separate for quick layering as seen in the videos.  But as I mentioned, he made various comments such as pepperoni grease is olive oil which led me to say he speaks fast and loose.  I just went back a couple pages and Craig seems to have determined it is most probably fresh mozzarella from: https://www.lionimozzarella.com/

But I also read before posting J. Kenji recipe at Serious Eats and he states:  "I'm talking the dry stuff that comes in blocks, as distinct from the balls of wet fresh mozzarella used to top Neapolitan pizzas. For the Spicy Spring, the key is to use sliced mozzarella and to place it under the sauce for even, shingled coverage that offers protection to the dough and prevents the sauce from sogging it out." https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/the-food-lab-spicy-spring-new-york-best-sicilian-pizza-at-home.html

I viewed "fresh" in this case much as when he or any restaurant says their sauce or dough is "home made."  So who knows what he does exactly.  Either way, it's fun to try and figure it all out and make a great version of it.  I know I would like to try and get my hands on the pepperoni. But like many upside down NY Sicilian styles that bottom layer I thought is normally low-moisture mozzarella not "fresh."  Just a couple days ago I made a Di Fara clone of mine inspired by some work of Craigs.  I used Boars Head sliced low-moisture whole milk on the dough then sauce, parmesan and topped randomly again with slices of BelGioioso fresh mozzarella.  He sort of blends the two styles. He seems to have covered all possibilities.  ;D  It came out nice. If I figure out where best to post it I will. I am newbie.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2019, 07:36:53 PM »
Hans

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2019, 10:40:21 PM »
You'd take Kenji's word (a guy who has ripped off info from the forum for pizza and other sources for food science) over the guy who makes the pizza daily?  ::)

I can promise you, it's fresh. But this style of fresh mozzarella is only available for food service - you can't find it at your grocer.

Primarily, because I have not seen sliced fresh mozzarella that "thin" nor dry before. I found it hard to imagine fresh thin slices neatly stacked and easy to separate for quick layering as seen in the videos.  But as I mentioned, he made various comments such as pepperoni grease is olive oil which led me to say he speaks fast and loose.  I just went back a couple pages and Craig seems to have determined it is most probably fresh mozzarella from: https://www.lionimozzarella.com/

But I also read before posting J. Kenji recipe at Serious Eats and he states:  "I'm talking the dry stuff that comes in blocks, as distinct from the balls of wet fresh mozzarella used to top Neapolitan pizzas. For the Spicy Spring, the key is to use sliced mozzarella and to place it under the sauce for even, shingled coverage that offers protection to the dough and prevents the sauce from sogging it out." https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/the-food-lab-spicy-spring-new-york-best-sicilian-pizza-at-home.html

I viewed "fresh" in this case much as when he or any restaurant says their sauce or dough is "home made."  So who knows what he does exactly.  Either way, it's fun to try and figure it all out and make a great version of it.  I know I would like to try and get my hands on the pepperoni. But like many upside down NY Sicilian styles that bottom layer I thought is normally low-moisture mozzarella not "fresh."  Just a couple days ago I made a Di Fara clone of mine inspired by some work of Craigs.  I used Boars Head sliced low-moisture whole milk on the dough then sauce, parmesan and topped randomly again with slices of BelGioioso fresh mozzarella.  He sort of blends the two styles. He seems to have covered all possibilities.  ;D  It came out nice. If I figure out where best to post it I will. I am newbie.