A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Making the Legendary Prince St. Pizza Square Slice  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Making the Legendary Prince St. Pizza Square Slice
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2019, 11:38:47 PM »
Kenji.... ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline thunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2019, 01:08:17 AM »
You'd take Kenji's word (a guy who has ripped off info from the forum for pizza and other sources for food science) over the guy who makes the pizza daily?  ::)

I can promise you, it's fresh. But this style of fresh mozzarella is only available for food service - you can't find it at your grocer.

Well, I am learning. :)  I didn't accept what either said to be honest.  I'd love to try both the mozzarella and the pepperoni.  I know Hormel Rosa Grande Pepperoni's do not ooze olive oil.  So, if he's unreliable on that why should I assume the rest?  INGREDIENTS: BHA, BHT with Citric Acid Added to Help Protect Flavor Ingredients: Pork, Beef, Salt, Contains 2% or less of Water, Dextrose, Spices, Lactic Acid Starter Culture, Sodium Ascorbate, Oleoresin of Paprika, Garlic Powder, Sodium Nitrite, BHA, BHT, Citric Acid. In Collagen Casing. https://www.hormelfoodservice.com/products/hormel-rosa-grande-sliced-pepperoni-8-slices-oz-2-12-5-lb/

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2019, 02:52:42 PM »
Yup. He's now bringing his condescending writing to the NY Times. Both his book and his column should be titled "How to make your kitchen a mess while creating mediocre food" instead of "food-lab." I swear, basic restaurant techniques executed well have given me better food than any of his "hacks" or tricks.

Anyway, The PSP pizza is a typical NY dough that is proofed, pressed, proofed, layered with sliced fresh-loaf mozzarella, the signature sauce, rosa grande, and a dusting of pecorino. 525 to 550 until done. Sometimes the pie hits the stone to crisp up.

The big thing with this pie is the ratios of the dough/sauce/cheese but the sauce is the biggest component.

Kenji.... ::)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2019, 02:57:45 PM »
I viewed "fresh" in this case much as when he or any restaurant says their sauce or dough is "home made." 

For mozz, the distinction is fresh vs. aged/low moisture rather than fresh/homemade vs. purchased.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline thunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2019, 09:18:24 PM »
For mozz, the distinction is fresh vs. aged/low moisture rather than fresh/homemade vs. purchased.

Yes.  However, I meant that "the legitimacy of his claim" that he uses fresh mozzarella was possibly as dubious as to his claim that olive oil oozes out of his pepperoni.  I found it funny the fast and loose way we all speak sometimes.  That's all guys.  No big deal.  I am going to give it a try with fresh mozzarella once I find a better pepperoni.  The best I have found locally is Margherita pepperoni.  It's good but it doesn't crisp up as I would prefer.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 08:08:58 PM »
I'm 99.9% certain it's fresh. I've never seen anything that makes me think it's not.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage