A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Percentage of sourdough cold fermentation ?  (Read 279 times)

Offline fckace

• I Love Pizza!
Percentage of sourdough cold fermentation ?
« on: September 01, 2019, 12:26:15 PM »
Hello guys,
I've been making several pizza now with cake yeast, and I'm now ready to attack with the sourdough.
I already have a 6 month sourdough.

I'd like to know if I could use an active sourdough in my dough (without any other yeast). Usually, with CY, once the dough is kneaded, I bulk it in the fridge (4C) for 1 to 6 days, depending on when I want to eat the pizzas. After this amount of time, I ball the dough into small balls, and let it rest for 24h, and take them out of the fridge 5h before baking.

So how much % of sourdough should I use with this previous flexible protocol ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:28:18 PM by fckace »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Percentage of sourdough cold fermentation ?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 02:15:28 PM »
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 04:48:54 PM »
One thing about the chart is that the data in the red doesn't have much, if any, real data to validate/tune the model. It's just an extension of the formulae in the model. There hasn't been much CF of SD done here. I've experimented with it, and I don't think it makes a good pizza at all. CF SD/IDY blends can be very good when you use a tiny amount of SD. I think a big part of the challenge is that, as compared to baker's yeast, you have so much more proteolytic enzymes and acids that the extended time in CF is very hard on the gluten. It's different from RT because with RT, you add so much less culture than you will need to use with CF for the same ferment time.

My suggestion is to do exactly what your doing now but add maybe 2% SD and see how that goes then work your way up - a little less CY and a little more SD - until you find the point where quality suffers.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline fckace

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 01:48:37 PM »
One thing about the chart is that the data in the red doesn't have much, if any, real data to validate/tune the model. It's just an extension of the formulae in the model. There hasn't been much CF of SD done here. I've experimented with it, and I don't think it makes a good pizza at all. CF SD/IDY blends can be very good when you use a tiny amount of SD. I think a big part of the challenge is that, as compared to baker's yeast, you have so much more proteolytic enzymes and acids that the extended time in CF is very hard on the gluten. It's different from RT because with RT, you add so much less culture than you will need to use with CF for the same ferment time.

My suggestion is to do exactly what your doing now but add maybe 2% SD and see how that goes then work your way up - a little less CY and a little more SD - until you find the point where quality suffers.

Thanks TXCraig1, I remember using this chart once with SD and CF and it didn't worked.
But I came with and idea, I will prepare my percentage of sourdough in a container, and my pizza dough in an other container (with all the ingredients, except the yeast).
8h/12 after, when my sourdough is ready/active, I will mix both preparation, and proceed as usual.
Like this, my pizza dough will strenghten by itself, like a big autolyse.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T