A D V E R T I S E M E N T


Author Topic: Re-Balling (Yes this again!)  (Read 416 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline gonzofilms86

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 7
  • Age: 33
  • Location: ohio
  • The Pizza Life Chose Me!
Re-Balling (Yes this again!)
« on: September 01, 2019, 10:13:16 PM »
Hello All,

I have a high hydration dough that has been CF for 3 days in a proofing box. The dough has spread out quite a bit which has made it hard to remove.  I made two Ny style pies with half the dough balls tonight and found that the spreading made it hard to stretch evenly resulting in thin spots. I wanted to know if anyone has ever taken dough out of a dough tray and allowed it to rise RT in a bowl instead. I thought I would re-ball it from the dough box and transfer to a bowl and maybe allowing the dough to rest and final rise in a bow would make it easier to shape. Any thoughts?

-Moose
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:16:49 PM by gonzofilms86 »

Offline Michiel

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 77
  • Age: 27
  • Location: Belgium
  • Passion for Pizza
Re: Re-Balling (Yes this again!)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 03:54:46 AM »
Hello All,

I have a high hydration dough that has been CF for 3 days in a proofing box. The dough has spread out quite a bit which has made it hard to remove.  I made two Ny style pies with half the dough balls tonight and found that the spreading made it hard to stretch evenly resulting in thin spots. I wanted to know if anyone has ever taken dough out of a dough tray and allowed it to rise RT in a bowl instead. I thought I would re-ball it from the dough box and transfer to a bowl and maybe allowing the dough to rest and final rise in a bow would make it easier to shape. Any thoughts?

-Moose

Hi, I am a beginner myself but I think what you said would be the right choice.
Reball it and let it rest at RT so the dough can 'relax'.
Test the dough before use with putting a finger in the dough and see how it reacts.

Best of luck.

Offline ivowiblo

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 17
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Re-Balling (Yes this again!)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 12:33:58 PM »
My experience reballing a dough after 3 days in the fridge was a really bad one, as when reballing I tend to extend the surface of the ball and not letting much for when I open it. The results are a dough with a huge hole in the center.

So my suggestion will be to do it super delicate

Offline gonzofilms86

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 7
  • Age: 33
  • Location: ohio
  • The Pizza Life Chose Me!
Re: Re-Balling (Yes this again!)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 04:03:13 PM »
Update: I went ahead and re-balled the dough from the trays and placed them into bowls in the fridge to relax. I brought them back up to room temp about 12hrs later the I was ready to bake. The re-balling did help quite a bit in maintain a shape, but the dough was quite a bit over proofed by that point. I also experienced a lot of snap back likely due to the same issue ivowiblo described. Goof to know for next time and thanks for the suggestions all!

Offline Yael

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 932
  • Location: A French in China
  • French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: Re-Balling (Yes this again!)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 10:52:21 PM »
I don't know if this will help, but I've been using a flour with ascorbic acid inside and getting homogeneous balling after a bulk fermentation is a hard time. When I open the dough I have thin and thick spots; it still has a lot of strength yet it can break easily on the thin parts.
I don't know which flour you're using, and I'm not sure that they're allowed to add an ingredient which is not listed in the specs, but it happens here  ;D

My solution (and I will test it today for the first time) is to ball after a shorter bulk fermentation (like 2H bulk 22H balls for a 24 RTF). The ascorbic acid helps having big round balls anyway, it inflates a lot without deflating, so I feel quite confident about such a long balled RTF.
I will open a thread about it.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

A D V E R T I S E M E N T


Offline QwertyJuan

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 467
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Re-Balling (Yes this again!)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 10:48:28 PM »
I don't know if this will help, but I've been using a flour with ascorbic acid inside and getting homogeneous balling after a bulk fermentation is a hard time. When I open the dough I have thin and thick spots; it still has a lot of strength yet it can break easily on the thin parts.
I don't know which flour you're using, and I'm not sure that they're allowed to add an ingredient which is not listed in the specs, but it happens here  ;D

My solution (and I will test it today for the first time) is to ball after a shorter bulk fermentation (like 2H bulk 22H balls for a 24 RTF). The ascorbic acid helps having big round balls anyway, it inflates a lot without deflating, so I feel quite confident about such a long balled RTF.
I will open a thread about it.

The flour I use here at work has ascorbic acid in it... it is a BEAST at lower hydrations. It is soooo painful to open up. My solution?? Hydration!! I am at 69% plus 2% oil... so total 71% and it opens like a DREAM!! My suggestion is to try high hydrations and see how you make out.  :chef:

Offline Yael

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 932
  • Location: A French in China
  • French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
Re: Re-Balling (Yes this again!)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 03:18:37 AM »
The flour I use here at work has ascorbic acid in it... it is a BEAST at lower hydrations. It is soooo painful to open up. My solution?? Hydration!! I am at 69% plus 2% oil... so total 71% and it opens like a DREAM!! My suggestion is to try high hydrations and see how you make out.  :chef:

Glutathion also works! This flour is used, I tried 70% HR and it was still too elastic due to ascorbic acid... (not talking about the re-balling thing here, just the elasticity), then I added glutathion (test I made while I was about to work with Lesaffre on a pizza project (which unfortunately was cancelled)), and it was like a miracle. This dough could open more easily.
But I still had troubles on this re-balling thing (in my case, only balling after bulk RTF). The dough I made yesterday I balled after 3H bulk and I think it's going to be good, but now it's freaking me, balls already have doubled, I still have 3H to wait before baking...  :'(
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

A D V E R T I S E M E N T