A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Homemade Creme Fraiche  (Read 150 times)

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
Homemade Creme Fraiche
« on: September 02, 2019, 08:54:41 PM »
So I have entered into the world of home making  creme fraiche.  My first batch appears to have turned out perfectly.  About a pint of heavy cream, to which i added 2 TBS of cultured buttermilk.  I let it stand on the counter for 24 hours, covered with a coffee filter.  Then into the fridge for 24 hours.

All containers and utensils were sterilized in boiling water for 3 minutes prior to use.  Stirred it up after two days in the fridge and it is heavenly in consistency and taste.

Now the questions... leaving it on the counter at room temperature for 24 hours seems like a risk area for sure.  Though the results appear great, is there a more approved way to get from available ingredients (cream and culture) to end product?  Will this work at 41 degF and longer time?  Advice from those more experienced appreciated.
All the best, Dave

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Homemade Creme Fraiche
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 09:07:33 PM »
SE only does 12 hours. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/02/how-to-make-creme-fraiche-in-1-easy-step.html

Notes

The bacterial cultures in buttermilk thicken and acidify the cream, while also preventing bad bacteria from taking over.
Hans

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 10:02:31 PM »
My daughter told me just today after baking something we now have some buttermilk to use in the next few days. She will be glad, like me, to have this idea bigMoose. Thanks for the tips and link, Hans.
-Tony

Offline CarryOn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 06:46:26 PM »
I've been making creme fraiche for years. Don't overthink it. I don't even worry about the sanitizing part - I just use clean jars. Depending on the ambient temp, I've had to leave it out for nearly 72 hours to thicken for some batches. I'm still kicking.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T