A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: No-Flop Cracker Crust  (Read 372 times)

Offline hotsawce

No-Flop Cracker Crust
« on: September 04, 2019, 06:12:03 PM »
I've been trying for a while to get a super crisp, no flop crust but it's not coming out quite as rigid as I'd like it. I'm at 52% water and 2% oil. Any suggestions on getting a stiffer crust?

I'm currently baking at 550 for about 7 minutes. I was thinking of lowering the temp and extending the bake. Or reducing water? Not sure which.

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: No-Flop Cracker Crust
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:44:30 PM »
 This is my latest cracker. No droop and holds up with toppings. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=18731.msg499459#msg499459

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
beautiful pies and super helpful. Do you think that you could get a crisp crust without the parbake, though? It seems your overall bake time is around 9 to 10 minutes or so

This is my latest cracker. No droop and holds up with toppings. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=18731.msg499459#msg499459

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »
beautiful pies and super helpful. Do you think that you could get a crisp crust without the parbake, though? It seems your overall bake time is around 9 to 10 minutes or so

Several members have made this formula and have not par baked it with good results. My par bake time is around 2 minutes and the finish bake time is about 7 minutes.

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »
lou, try dropping loosing the oil and if that isn't enough go a few points lower with hydration.   For doughs like this you may need to use a food processor for a short mix.   I know you hear some people say oil can make doughs crispier, but in my experience, at least with olive oil, it just makes it softer and floppier.   I just made an 8 percent oil mamas too dough and it definitely was softer and floppier than my control which had 2 percent oil.   Of course slowing the bake will work too but that might not necessarily make a better pizza.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 11:42:19 AM »
I would go way lower in water if you must bake at 550. Probably under 45% hydration.

IMO for no flop you need to either cook the water out with a longer bake or start with less water to begin with.

the proof is in the pizza

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 12:03:35 PM »
im at 45 myself with KAAP and I like the outcome.  It has no droop.    Dont forget oil holds onto moisture in dough.  Dont forget how some flours are way thirstier than others.   

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 08:45:27 PM »
 Hotsawce,

You got some good advice from the members, There are some great formulas in the cracker thread, be sure to check them out. As usual, pics and workflow of your progress is appreciated. I just made a cracker dough for the OU game Saturday.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 01:04:46 AM »
I have a 49 + 1 dough working now. I can't see going much lower without the dough being far too stiff, but I'm hoping the lower hydration and lower amount of oil will give me a thin-crispy crust. I should have clarified - I'm going less for the crumbly cracker and more for something as thin and rigid, but less flaky. I'm going to bake in my same oven position, but drop the temp 25 degrees and try to hit and 8 minute bake.

Hotsawce,

You got some good advice from the members, There are some great formulas in the cracker thread, be sure to check them out. As usual, pics and workflow of your progress is appreciated. I just made a cracker dough for the OU game Saturday.

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 12:34:07 PM »
 My recipe calls for 42% hydration and 11% oil. Even at this low of hydration is is pretty easy to roll out. I let the dough come up to temp for at least 2 hours and sometimes up to 3 hours. This plus the high oil content  make the rolling out fairly easy for a cracker. If I remember correctly Peter had stated that it is not unusual to have higher amounts of oil in a crispy crust. The crust is not flakey, it is more like super thin and very crispy. The crust is very rigid. The most important thing to a crisp crust is to let the pie cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before slicing. I have been working on this recipe for several years trying everything and almost including the kitchen sink. I have ended up with a crust that seems to please everyone that has tried it.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 06:07:09 PM »
Well, everyone's tips helped a LOT. I lowered the oven temp to 520, and with the new dough and an 8 minute bake the crust was almost totally rigid. I'm not sure I'd want it any more rigid than this, to be honest. But I've been using bread flour, and noticed a little more chew at this time and temp. Not a bad thing, but maybe not the texture I want. Looks like I'll be going to AP like many here for a little more tenderness. However, really easy to stretch when temped.

I may also bump the oil up to 2% and drop the water down a percentage point to compensate.

Overall, really tasty pie, and definitely the "thin crispy" type (no large flat bubbles like the cracker style.

My recipe calls for 42% hydration and 11% oil. Even at this low of hydration is is pretty easy to roll out. I let the dough come up to temp for at least 2 hours and sometimes up to 3 hours. This plus the high oil content  make the rolling out fairly easy for a cracker. If I remember correctly Peter had stated that it is not unusual to have higher amounts of oil in a crispy crust. The crust is not flakey, it is more like super thin and very crispy. The crust is very rigid. The most important thing to a crisp crust is to let the pie cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before slicing. I have been working on this recipe for several years trying everything and almost including the kitchen sink. I have ended up with a crust that seems to please everyone that has tried it.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 05:15:33 AM »
im at 45 myself with KAAP and I like the outcome.  It has no droop.    Dont forget oil holds onto moisture in dough.  Dont forget how some flours are way thirstier than others.   

Are you cooking in a pan, or directly on the deck?

I've been doing 50% with Wheat Montana all-purpose on stone, but it seemed a little wet when I tried a pan bake. Just didn't crisp up the way I wanted it to. But I was also getting premature browning on the bottom from the LDMP so I may just set that stuff aside.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 04:23:15 PM »
Pan only - I actually have better luck than using a stone (even for only part of the bake.)

Are you cooking in a pan, or directly on the deck?

I've been doing 50% with Wheat Montana all-purpose on stone, but it seemed a little wet when I tried a pan bake. Just didn't crisp up the way I wanted it to. But I was also getting premature browning on the bottom from the LDMP so I may just set that stuff aside.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 11:48:19 PM »
Pan only - I actually have better luck than using a stone (even for only part of the bake.)

Interesting, what kind of pan are you using?