A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Aerate Water for more oxygen  (Read 579 times)

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
  • Love the wood fired oven
Aerate Water for more oxygen
« on: September 05, 2019, 09:25:25 AM »
In many places I have read that getting oxygen into dough helps the yeast reproduce.

Has anyone ever tried using an immersion or stick blender to aerate water before adding any ingredients ??
Brent

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Aerate Water for more oxygen
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 10:32:32 AM »
Is that even possible?
Hans

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 10:51:47 AM »
I don't think municipal or well water come with much oxygen out of the tap.  In nature fish love to be near areas of high oxygenation like below waterfalls or near shorelines with lots of surf.

If anyone knows how to test for dissolved oxygen I'd love to test it.

I guess an indirect test would be to make two identical sourdough starters or doughballs and aerate the water in one, get a beer, eat a pizza ... and watch.
Brent

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 12:14:34 PM »
I think you can get 8ppm O2 into water by aerating it, just shaking a jug etc hard will do it. If you want to see how increased O2 helps I think you'd need to get some pure o2 from a homebrew shop etc and you can double the amount of dissolved O2 . Does it stay in solution though when flour is mixed in?

Online CobaltHex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 01:50:23 PM »
putting a stick blender in the water? I think the only thing to be careful of is that you might actually lower the air content

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »
Something to consider: cool water holds more dissolved gas than warm water.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 04:14:41 PM by charbo »

Offline Qapla

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 08:01:43 PM »
Most kitchen taps have aerators on them ... so, using tap water may be enough to get that extra air.

If it needs to be pure O2 ... that is another thing altogether

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 09:11:29 PM »
I haven’t used an immersion blender but when I feed my starter, I use a hand whisk to combine 10g starter and 70g water until very frothy. Only when full of bubbles do I add the 100g flour for a 70% hydration starter (thanks Jim Lahey). It is much more active than it was before using the whisk to aerate.

When kneading the final dough...the more important factor is how much air the mixer introduces into the dough. For example, my spiral probably adds 4x the amount of air as my planetary. I think the amount of air added to the dough by the mixer outweighs any air you might beat into the water using an immersion blender. Dough can easily retain oxygen but water has a hard time doing so.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 11:33:23 PM »
I never heard about oxygenating the water, and regardless if it's useful or not, I wonder what would be the interest to make yeast reproduce? I mean, in pizza making we already use such little amounts, it's definitely not a cost problem. Do you guys have an idea?
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 08:52:49 AM »
Yeast will always use aerobic reparation vs fermentation if there is oxygen present because it something like 19X more efficient.

My gut feeling is that supersaturating the water with oxygen would have zero noticeable effect. Let's say you could increase the amount of dissolved oxygen by 50%, that might be an additional 5 PPM. Yeast will also always consume sucrose first. Do you think adding 0.0005% sugar would make a difference in your dough?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 09:05:52 PM »
Exactly...water can hold at most 10 parts per million of oxygen, assuming it holds 100% of the DO (dissolved oxygen).

http://www.longwood.edu/cleanva/world_water_monitoring_va/resized%20images/water_quality_parameter_info_acb.pdf

You can get large visible bubbles of oxygen in your dough just by the way you knead (or mixer you use). Check out this dough - right after it was mixed in my spiral mixer and cut open with a sharp knife. No way that 10 ppm can compete with that. I have seen people do as much or more by hand.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:02:20 PM by DoouBall »

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 11:22:13 PM »
Exactly...water can hold at most 10 parts per million of oxygen, assuming it holds 100% of the DO (dissolved oxygen).

http://www.longwood.edu/cleanva/world_water_monitoring_va/resized%20images/water_quality_parameter_info_acb.pdf

You can get large visible bubbles of oxygen in your dough just by the way you knead (or mixer you use). Check out this dough - right after it was mixed in my spiral mixer and cut open with a sharp knife. No way that 10 ppm can compete with that. I have seen people do as much or more by hand.

Yup... agreed. The dough from my spiral mixer has TONS of air pockets like the ones you are showing here. It's AMAZING the difference between spiral and planetary.  :chef:

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 02:16:19 AM »
It's me or this picture has something sexy and sensual? :-D
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 09:47:13 AM »

Smells like a yeast infection.
John

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 10:01:21 AM »

Its not just you    ;D

I love cooking pizza and eating but this ????

===============================

for those of use that don't have spiral mixers .... how do we get this wonderful looking dough ?
Brent

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
ROFL! You guys crack me up.

For those without spiral mixers, doing Tartine method or Bertinet method of mixing helps add a lot of air in the dough by hand through stretch folds/slap folds.

Another technique to try is from Gabriele Valdez. He also cuts the dough at the end of mixing.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:14:27 AM by DoouBall »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 10:28:35 AM »
Hans

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 08:29:51 PM »