A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Hybrid dough with old starter?  (Read 383 times)

Offline DoouBall

Hybrid dough with old starter?
« on: September 07, 2019, 02:58:54 PM »
Has anyone tried making a hybrid dough with IDY for leavening and a little old, unrefreshed starter (something like a week or two old) straight from the fridge, just to add a little bit of acidity?

I'm thinking this might work a bit better than adding a freshly fed starter which has very little acid in it, since the dry yeast has a tendency to eat up all the food and prevent any noticeable increase in acidity in the final dough. Many times when I made a hybrid dough with 2-10% sourdough starter added, I could barely taste the sourdough flavor. Perhaps using an unfed starter that has more acidity already can create a dough with all the advantages of powerful puff created by dry yeast along with a stronger flavor from already generated acidity in the unfed starter. Thoughts?
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Hybrid dough with old starter?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 09:02:02 PM »
Alex,

Many moons ago, I had a lot of fun and learned a lot making a Lehmann NY style pizza using an unrefreshed preferment only, that is, without any commercial yeast. In fact, along the way, I found that if I used a combination of a naturally leavened preferment and commercial yeast, such as IDY, the finished crust lost a good part of the flavor contributed by the naturally leavened preferment. My unrefreshed preferment experiment is discussed in Reply 175 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=576.msg12748#msg12748

Of course, my objective was a little bit different than yours but my experiment demonstrated that an unrefreshed preferment could be used by itself. That was an eye opener.

Peter

Offline DoouBall

Hybrid dough with old starter?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »
Thanks Pete for the link. Your process was a little different than what I am thinking. I believe you did refresh the starter, but just once before making dough.

My idea was to take a pretty acidic starter that has not been refreshed at a low quantity (2-3%) and make dough with it straight away along with a standard amount of IDY so that the starter is not active and simply contributes a bit of acidity and byproducts of fermentation and all the leavening comes from the IDY. I am wondering if this would work or perhaps the old starter may negatively affect the dough structure.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T