A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ny style in pizza party?  (Read 1102 times)

Offline moose13

Ny style in pizza party?
« on: September 07, 2019, 09:19:58 PM »
Just curious if anyone is doing NY style pizzas in the pizza party or any wfo? Ive been doing neo type pies for years and need a change. I do have the passione with gas so i would imagine a NY wouldn't be a problem. 500-550 floor temp? Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
Re: Ny style in pizza party?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:15:32 AM »
I do NY in the PP Pizzone.  I like to load at 600f.  Gas assist makes it even easier to control temps.

Offline moose13

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 05:42:53 PM »
I do NY in the PP Pizzone.  I like to load at 600f.  Gas assist makes it even easier to control temps.

Thanks Jackie! I was hoping someone would respond

Offline Tofu_Grandpa

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 05:19:54 PM »
I bought a PP passione a few months ago and have been trying out NY style (ish) pizza in it. Although I'm using wood and not gas so maintaining a consistent temperature has been a bit of a learning curve

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 11:31:36 AM »
are you guys able to get a 16" pie in the PP? or are you doing 12" nyc-style pies?

Offline Tofu_Grandpa

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 03:42:23 AM »
I've been doing between 12-13" pies. If I remember correctly the oven door is 15" across so I guess that would be the maximum size, although I haven't given it a go yet.

Offline yarbrough462

• An American in Italy
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 05:00:24 AM »
Max size I have been able to get in the oven is 14".  If doing NY style at 600 degrees, you need to ensure your oven is properly preheated to get the bottom done.  If it is cooking too fast on the bottom after the preheat, you can just juice the top temp with the gas if needed...

Offline PIZZA FREAK

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 06:42:20 PM »
I have a vault style WFO. It took me a little while before I figured out where the sweet spot was on the temperature to make the type of crust I am looking for. I grew up in New Haven and all the pizza I make is pretty much well done on top and bottom. Char = flavor. I fire up my oven for no more than 2 hours, let it settle down for at least an hour and start baking. I like to bake at around 600 degrees max.

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 09:11:01 AM »
I have a vault style WFO. It took me a little while before I figured out where the sweet spot was on the temperature to make the type of crust I am looking for. I grew up in New Haven and all the pizza I make is pretty much well done on top and bottom. Char = flavor. I fire up my oven for no more than 2 hours, let it settle down for at least an hour and start baking. I like to bake at around 600 degrees max.

What kind of oven do you have, and which/how much fuel do you use?  Grew up with NH style also, dream is to one day get a WFO to be able to crank out 18" well done pies!

Offline PIZZA FREAK

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »
I have a vault style WFO. The interior dimensions are 44D X 42W with a 20" door opening. I have only burned oak in it. I would like to coal to see if I can match the char flavor of New Haven pizza. I use about 8-10 good size logs and let it burn for about 1 1/2 hours, let it rest for about an hour and it's ready to go. I built it about 3 years ago and it was the best addition to the backyard.

Attached is my version of the New Haven clam pie and it's awsome!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:16:42 PM by PIZZA FREAK »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 09:14:14 AM »
Beautiful setup, PF! Clam pie looks excellent too.
-Tony

Offline classicalthunder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 09:41:25 AM »
I have a vault style WFO. The interior dimensions are 44D X 42W with a 20" door opening. I have only burned oak in it. I would like to coal to see if I can match the char flavor of New Haven pizza. I use about 8-10 good size logs and let it burn for about 1 1/2 hours, let it rest for about an hour and it's ready to go. I built it about 3 years ago and it was the best addition to the backyard.

Attached is my version of the New Haven clam pie and it's awsome!

I'm really jealous, that looks amazing!  I have been dreaming of getting a Breadstone/Four GrandMeres oven for a backyard set up similar to yours, but need to wait until i'm in my forever home first...did you use a specific kit to build out the space?

Offline PIZZA FREAK

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 10:08:53 PM »
I have always wanted a WFO. After I purchased my house I found out my neighbor across the street has a vault style WFO. I liked the vault style oven and decided to build one. I had a mason do the blocks, slab and stucco and I built the entire oven myself. The oven sits on a 4" slab on top a stack of blocks. I insulated the entire oven and it holds the heat for days. Very happy with it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 11:38:26 PM by PIZZA FREAK »

wordpress