A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anyone has tried the Redpack tomatoes?  (Read 891 times)

Offline BackyardPizzaiolo

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone has tried the Redpack tomatoes?
« on: September 07, 2019, 10:56:18 PM »
Yesterday in my quest for tomatoes that don't come in a 6.5 lb can, I've tried a domestic (US) can of tomatoes called "Redpack No Salt Added Whole Peeled Plum Tomatoes" (there is a version with salt too). I didn't find that the end result was different from the Cento Italian I got before. Anyone has tried this one? How did you like it compared to other canned tomatoes? FWIW it won a canned tomatoes test on "Epicurious" (https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/best-canned-tomatoes-san-marzano-italian-taste-test-article)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:58:27 PM by BackyardPizzaiolo »

Offline TonyRicci

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Anyone has tried the Redpack tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 08:34:50 AM »
I use them, I get them at Walmart, canít beat the price.  Not a big fan of tined tomatoes, think they all taste and smell horrible.   No comparison to homemade canned whole seeded and peeled tomatoes, but I pick a few bushel from garden every year.

Offline Velojerry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »
Redpack is a division of RedGold, primarily a foodservice item I believe.  RedGold are pretty easy to find and I have used them a few times, very sweet right out of the can. A number of consumer taste tests have ranked the RedGold right alongside MuirGlen as top ranked, ahead of a number of San Marzano varieties. I found another label from RedGold though and have grown to be my preferred pizza tomato, the Tuttorosso line.  Italian in name  and style, San Marzano type plums, but grown in Indiana. I think the central US is a better place to grow thirsty plants like tomatoes, a more consistant water supply and great alluvial soils. If you try the Tuttorossos, please post your reaction, they are hard to find in stores in some regions but can be purchased online, Walmart has carried them at times.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 07:26:40 AM »
Tomatoes are something that you really need to try everything you have available locally and see what best suits your tastes and your pizza.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Velojerry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 07:43:50 AM »
That used to be the case but in today's world of Amazon it's easy to get almost any choice within a day at your front door. My grocer's choices change and things I like suddenly can disappear from the shelves, add to that my remote living: the nearest supermarket is a 100 miles away, the local stores have a very small selection.

Offline BackyardPizzaiolo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 05:28:32 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Amazon for food, it's often 3X more expensive than a local supermarket.

Anyway, after months of using the Redpack I'm still happy with it. I have recently benchmarked it against the Cento San Marzano "Certified" (does that mean DOP? Who knows), and I can't say that I prefer one over the other. To be honest both are rather bland for tomatoes. The Redpack is more acidic, the San Marzano is smoother, but both lack a little oomph when it comes to packing that strong tomato flavor that you would get in a real soil grown, sun drenched tomato. And I can't feel a difference in the final product (the pizza). I think I'll stick to the Redpack because it's way cheaper, but I will be conducting more tasting later.

Offline Velojerry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 10:59:24 AM »
Try either the RedGold or Tuttorosso, both are central US grown, same company, different farms. I like them better than CA tomatoes, I think they are a little sweeter than say Muir Glen or Hunt, about the same price. No, none are better than vine ripened fresh tomatoes, but they are hard to find in the snow up here.

Online Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 06:30:56 PM »
tuttrorosso is garbage. The most watery can you can buy. And they give them away often in NY for 99 cents a can.  As for Red Gold I have never seen that brand but there is no comparison between Red Pack and Tuttorosso. RedPack is probably the most red color tomatoes I have ever encountered.

Offline Velojerry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 07:28:15 AM »
tuttrorosso is garbage. The most watery can you can buy. And they give them away often in NY for 99 cents a can.  As for Red Gold I have never seen that brand but there is no comparison between Red Pack and Tuttorosso. RedPack is probably the most red color tomatoes I have ever encountered.
All three are the same company, same corporate business. The Tuttorossos I have had were better than Muir Glen or Hunt and I did not find them watery, maybe they have changed.

wordpress