A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza is way too thin ...  (Read 658 times)

Offline fckace

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza is way too thin ...
« on: September 08, 2019, 08:04:46 AM »
Hello guys,
When I flattened my dough balls with neapolitan style technique, I always end up with a really thin pizza, and I can see my hand through the membrane.
What could me the issue ? My technique ? Or maybe the dough is too fermented ?

Usually, my recipe is :
Flour (12 to 12.8% protein content) 100%
Salt: 1.75%
Sugar: 2%
Oil: 2%
IDY: 0.375%
Water: 62%

And 24h bulk fermentation at 4°C, + 24h as balls still in the fridge, and 5-6h at RT.

Thanks !

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
Re: Pizza is way too thin ...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 08:08:22 AM »
Neapolitan is supposed to be thin, but it's difficult to tell based on description only. What is your ball weight and pie diameter? Besides that, fermentation and most importantly opening technique obviously matters. How much dough you leave on the rim also makes a difference.

What style of pizza are you making by the way? The recipe looks more like NY style, so maybe you bake in a home oven or something else at 550F?
-Heine. Mostly Neapolitan sourdough pizzas in an electric Effeuno P134H.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 08:10:10 AM »
Well... If your ball weighs 180g for 13' or 250g for 10' it won't be the same thickness   :P

How much is your ball weight for which size?
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline fckace

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 12:15:24 PM »
Neapolitan is supposed to be thin, but it's difficult to tell based on description only. What is your ball weight and pie diameter? Besides that, fermentation and most importantly opening technique obviously matters. How much dough you leave on the rim also makes a difference.

What style of pizza are you making by the way? The recipe looks more like NY style, so maybe you bake in a home oven or something else at 550F?

Well... If your ball weighs 180g for 13' or 250g for 10' it won't be the same thickness   :P

How much is your ball weight for which size?

Yes of course, I wanted to add the weight in the description but I forgot  ::)

I usually make 255g dough balls for 30 cm / 11,811' diameter

I make neapolitan style pizza in a gas oven at the correct temp. But I use screens and I prepare all my pizza before on each screen (it rest for 30 min, I cover it with plastic wrap, no topping, just the dough flatenned)

But I guess it's the fermentation + the opening, I should take a picture next time!

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 10:22:30 PM »
mmmh  :-\

Why do you put the skin on a screen 30 min prior to baking? During this period, your skin will likely soften, and when you add the toppings, it has a big chance to have holes and leak...

What you can do instead, it's to open the balls into 8~9' first, and when you have to bake, you continue the dough opening into 12'.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline fckace

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 01:41:59 PM »
mmmh  :-\

Why do you put the skin on a screen 30 min prior to baking? During this period, your skin will likely soften, and when you add the toppings, it has a big chance to have holes and leak...

What you can do instead, it's to open the balls into 8~9' first, and when you have to bake, you continue the dough opening into 12'.

C'mon Yael ... Between us, not inches units  :-D
But thanks anyway, I understand the technique !
In fact, I prepare the dough in advance on the screen in order to do a culinary workshop with my guest, so that they put the ingredients themself without flattenning the dough (hardest part I guess, so that's why I do this before).
Like this, all the pizza can go to the oven quickly, and everyone can eat at almost the same time. Not professional but quite convenient (for me  :angel:)

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 07:21:51 PM »
C'mon Yael ... Between us, not inches units  :-D
But thanks anyway, I understand the technique !
In fact, I prepare the dough in advance on the screen in order to do a culinary workshop with my guest, so that they put the ingredients themself without flattenning the dough (hardest part I guess, so that's why I do this before).
Like this, all the pizza can go to the oven quickly, and everyone can eat at almost the same time. Not professional but quite convenient (for me  :angel:)

Haha, sorry, in China they also use inches for the pizza so I'm used to it :-D

Ok so I understand why you do like this, but I also realized that you doesn't seem to have any problem with your thin dough skin, except that it's thin, but if it doesn't tear and the ingredients don't leak, so what's the problem  ::) ?
If you like it thicker, you'll just have to leave more dough in the middle and less rim; or more weight in your ball for the same size.

Offline fckace

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 12:25:20 PM »
Haha, sorry, in China they also use inches for the pizza so I'm used to it :-D

Ok so I understand why you do like this, but I also realized that you doesn't seem to have any problem with your thin dough skin, except that it's thin, but if it doesn't tear and the ingredients don't leak, so what's the problem  ::) ?
If you like it thicker, you'll just have to leave more dough in the middle and less rim; or more weight in your ball for the same size.

Haha no pb  :-D

Yes I think that I will give up with the neapolitan style since now I'm using screens, so they can't really have the perfect amount of heat at the beginning.
Thanks!

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »
You can try to leave a bulge in the middle when you start forming the disc. Once you start slapping it will disappear and the disc will be thicker.
Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria (Blue Bag), Mutti S. Marzano (DOP) :)

Offline fckace

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 03:38:59 AM »
You can try to leave a bulge in the middle when you start forming the disc. Once you start slapping it will disappear and the disc will be thicker.

Smart! Thanks

Offline amcdonal86

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 09:47:23 AM »
I'm not an expert by any means, but I find with dough opening I get a much better result if I focus on just stretching the outer thirds of the pizza. Before saucing and adding toppings I usually only stretch it to maybe an 8 inch size for a 10 inch pizza. Then when transferring to the peel I do the final stretch. This seems to avoid a lot of the very thin areas of the pizza that tend to tear during the pizza turning process.

Offline diluz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 03:18:38 PM »
Smart! Thanks
Check out this video from Vito Iacopelli on stretching neapolitan pizza dough..

wordpress