A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Table/Bench for Ooni Pro?  (Read 264 times)

Offline d0mm3r

• I Love Pizza!
Table/Bench for Ooni Pro?
« on: September 09, 2019, 09:08:10 PM »
I'm looking for a table or bench for my Ooni Pro that is tall enough where I won't have to stoop down so low to check on my pizza. Bad knee and back have made the process very painful! I'm 6'2" so I'm thinking somwhere in the 40" or taller range, ideally with casters, but I can't seem to find anything. I'm open to making one too depending on cost. I appreciate any guidance!

Online Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Table/Bench for Ooni Pro?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:29:55 PM »
i just got this cart for my pizza oven from Ikea with a stainless steel top.  its very nice for the price

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/aepplaroe-klasen-serving-cart-outdoor-brown-stained-stainless-steel-s49048411/

Offline d0mm3r

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 10:56:41 PM »
I do love Ikea, I would just need to find a way to raise the deck/table so as not to have to bend over so far. Thanks for the info!

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 11:13:51 PM »
Remember that your Ooni Pro has legs, which puts the hearth height up a few inches above whatever cart or bench you go with. It might be cleanest and simplest to replace those with whatever height gets you to where you want to be.

Otherwise, for the Ikea cart, I think I would remove the casters, put a shelf at what was originally the bottom of the legs, transition into an extension below the shelf (maybe pick a contrasting color since it seems like it would be hard to match), and re-mount your casters. I built a shop cabinet for my tablesaw years ago. First time I used it I nearly tipped the thing over while it was running. It was top heavy and a little taller than the average stand you see for them. I was glad I had a strong bottom shelf and 2 sliding doors to close it up (was thinking of keeping sawdust off my tablesaw ‘stuff’ stored there). Since day 2, the bottom shelf has had a heavy bag of dry mix concrete on it. It’s solid now.
-Tony

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 03:17:46 PM »
I built this one for my OONI Pro, it's exactly 40 inches tall. I'm 5'10" and wish I'd built it another 6 or 8 inches high. I splayed the legs out 8 degrees both directions for stability. It's built of 2x3s and 2x4s from Home depot with the 3/4 plywood bottom for stability and to hold 2 propane tanks off the floor.

Before you decide on height, make something the height you're thinking about and try it. Even for me, 4" means bending over or kneeling down quite a bit to look in the oven.

Ira

Offline d0mm3r

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »
Remember that your Ooni Pro has legs, which puts the hearth height up a few inches above whatever cart or bench you go with. It might be cleanest and simplest to replace those with whatever height gets you to where you want to be.

Otherwise, for the Ikea cart, I think I would remove the casters, put a shelf at what was originally the bottom of the legs, transition into an extension below the shelf (maybe pick a contrasting color since it seems like it would be hard to match), and re-mount your casters. I built a shop cabinet for my tablesaw years ago. First time I used it I nearly tipped the thing over while it was running. It was top heavy and a little taller than the average stand you see for them. I was glad I had a strong bottom shelf and 2 sliding doors to close it up (was thinking of keeping sawdust off my tablesaw ‘stuff’ stored there). Since day 2, the bottom shelf has had a heavy bag of dry mix concrete on it. It’s solid now.

That's a really good point about the center of gravity. I could easily see myself sending my Ooni tumbling with a misplaced peel or overexcited dog.

I built this one for my OONI Pro, it's exactly 40 inches tall. I'm 5'10" and wish I'd built it another 6 or 8 inches high. I splayed the legs out 8 degrees both directions for stability. It's built of 2x3s and 2x4s from Home depot with the 3/4 plywood bottom for stability and to hold 2 propane tanks off the floor.

Before you decide on height, make something the height you're thinking about and try it. Even for me, 4" means bending over or kneeling down quite a bit to look in the oven.

Ira

Thank you so much for the pics and measurements. Did you find plans or create this on your own? If you'd aim for 48" at 5'10" maybe I should aim for around that or even higher. My back and knee will thank me later!

Looks like I am going to have to find some plans or otherwise cobble something together.

Offline ira

• I try to cook Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 08:04:24 PM »
I went to home depot, picked up some wood and a box of tile. Decided the table top was 1x3 tiles and started cutting wood. No plans, just some thoughts.

I'll measure it up and take some pictures of the bottom if you want.  I have a table saw so the angle cuts I made were quite easy.

Ira

Offline d0mm3r

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »
I went to home depot, picked up some wood and a box of tile. Decided the table top was 1x3 tiles and started cutting wood. No plans, just some thoughts.

I'll measure it up and take some pictures of the bottom if you want.  I have a table saw so the angle cuts I made were quite easy.

Ira

If you have the time that would be very helpful, thank you! I have a buddy with a garage full of woodworking machines, so maybe I'll barter some pizza for some help.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 08:30:19 AM »
If you go on Amazon, there are eleventy-million stainless steel tables of all sizes, with and without splashes, somewhat different heights, but the main thing is that they have threaded holes for adding casters or simply adding extensions.  Most are around 30" height, but some all-thread and your imagination on extensions will put them at any height. 

This one seems to be in the low 30s" but you can add casters which should put it in the mid 30s". 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V6CV653/?tag=pmak-20

Uline has gray painted steel tables that go to 37" without casters and casters would add more depending on size.  Still pretty economical for just over $100.  I wouldn't bother building a custom table with this choice available.   https://www.uline.com/BL_2267/Adjustable-Height-Machine-Tables

Something bigger, higher and more expensive  https://www.uline.com/BL_2292/Mobile-Steel-Assembly-Tables
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:55:31 AM by bbqchuck »