A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Flour Experimentation  (Read 247 times)

Offline Jguz

Flour Experimentation
« on: September 11, 2019, 01:35:28 PM »
I tried making a couple Neapolitan pizzas the other day.  One was fairly traditional with 00 Flour.  The other had a blend of Whole Wheat Rye.  This traditional pizza came out great.  The dough with rye flour was fairly dry and the finished dough was cracking and didn't have the normal softness.  It has didn't seem to ferment very well.  Does whole wheat flour typically require more water and/or a longer fermentation time than 00 flour?

Thanks!
Jared

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Flour Experimentation
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »
Jared;
I'm confused over exactly what flour/flour blend you used. Was it whole wheat flour, was it rye flour, a blend of rye flour and whole wheat flour or a blend of "00" plus whole wheat and rye flour?
To answer your basic question, both whole wheat and rye flour have a significantly higher absorption than "00" flour and unless this higher absorption rate is accounted for either/both will result in a dry, stiff dough. By the way, both rye and whole wheat flour will have a shorter fermentation requirement than "00" flour.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Jguz

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 02:41:18 PM »
Thanks for your reply!

It was a 50/50 blend of medium rye flour with regular 00 Caputo.  I wanted to incorporate some of the rye flour flour for added flavor but it was way too dry.  Is there a typical rule of thumb for how much extra water to use when working with rye flour and/or whole wheat?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 10:58:34 PM »
No "rule" but there is a procedure.
1) Calculate the absorption for the amount (weight) of "00" flour.
2) Calculate the absorption for the amount (weight) of rye or whole wheat flour. For rye flour and whole wheat flour use 75%.
3) Add the two absorptions and this will be the total amount of water to add to the dough. Note: The actual, final absorption may need to be adjusted slightly, but this will get you close enough to make pizza on your first "go around".
When expressing the dough absorption in bakers percent divide the weight of water added by the total/combined weight of the "00" and rye or whole wheat flours and multiply by 100.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Jguz

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 07:10:05 PM »
Thanks for your help!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T