A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bread and Salt  (Read 581 times)

Offline hotsawce

Bread and Salt
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:15:59 AM »
https://ny.eater.com/2019/9/11/20859249/bread-and-salt-jersey-city-best-new-pizza-nyc-restaurants A nice write up from Eater.

Iíve been to the NY iteration before it closed and love what Rick is doing. Iím itching badly to trek into Jersey City

From what I know - naturally leavened pizza pala. All room temp, if I recall correctly. Low inoculation and long fermentation.

Offline hotsawce

Re: Bread and Salt
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 08:52:01 PM »
Well, everything incredible as expected. The Concord grape slice was addictively special. Meatballs maybe the best Iíve ever had - so tender they barely held together. Gelato and sorbet were amazing. The bread was awesome, as was the house biscotti served with the gelato. Really stellar all around.

These are hearth-baked, palla style. Not in pans here.

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 01:37:39 PM »
Great review. We just visited Jersey City, but my Keto wife was not having any carbs, or a long wait- so we had to skip Bread & salt & Razza....hope to get back to enjoy both.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »
Also - Gelato and sorbet is made by Brooks at Superiority Burger. Before this, he was pastry wizard at Del Posto. I thought his gelato and sorbet at superiority burger was some of the best I'd ever had and I had a hunch it was his when I tasted it at Bread and Salt given their relationship (Rick helped Brooks learn how to produce awesome focaccia.)

Great review. We just visited Jersey City, but my Keto wife was not having any carbs, or a long wait- so we had to skip Bread & salt & Razza....hope to get back to enjoy both.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 03:00:16 PM »
I had his pizza when he was still in Crown Heights. Really good. Was wondering when he might re-open, good to see he's got a new place finally.

I wonder if he's using Caputo Brothers curd, it's not exactly in Lancaster, but close enough you might describe it that way. It's also the best tasting USA mozzarella I've had.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 03:37:16 PM »
Last I heard, he was still using their curd. I never had much luck with it (never baked up well once stretched) but I liked it on the margherita pizza. That being said, it's still not bufala (and I think the curd is close to the same price around 7/lb.)

He's using a lot of stuff from Gustiamo. Gustarosso tomatoes, Trapani sea salt, etc etc. Definitely worth the trip. Berg'n was a bad spot for what he was doing. Terrible location, terrible food hall.... I'm glad he has a place to call his now!

I had his pizza when he was still in Crown Heights. Really good. Was wondering when he might re-open, good to see he's got a new place finally.

I wonder if he's using Caputo Brothers curd, it's not exactly in Lancaster, but close enough you might describe it that way. It's also the best tasting USA mozzarella I've had.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 11:41:14 AM »
Ya, re: caputo curd, I've had issues with the bake after stretching it at home.

I was thinking about using it straight as curd next time I use it. Is there any reason not to? Is the meltability supposed to be better after its stretched?

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 08:57:08 AM »
Also - Gelato and sorbet is made by Brooks at Superiority Burger. Before this, he was pastry wizard at Del Posto. I thought his gelato and sorbet at superiority burger was some of the best I'd ever had and I had a hunch it was his when I tasted it at Bread and Salt given their relationship (Rick helped Brooks learn how to produce awesome focaccia.)
Wow, coincidenceóeven though I didnít make it there during our stay, i did go to superiority burger! My son worked in the kitchen at Del  Posto when Brooks was there!

wordpress