A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Jerry's Bollore Pizza  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
Re: Jerry's Bollore Pizza
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2019, 09:16:03 PM »
Just at the stripe of sunshine? Looks like fine weather as I hear the rain on the windows, it may be ugly out there tomorrow night as I bake for Guests!
Happy New Year!
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 10:38:00 PM »
Just at the stripe of sunshine? Looks like fine weather as I hear the rain on the windows, it may be ugly out there tomorrow night as I bake for Guests!
Happy New Year!
Beautiful weather today.  Nice in the 70s.  Sitting outside eating pizza and watching movies

Jerry

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2020, 01:17:27 AM »
Happy New Year!
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2020, 01:30:28 AM »
Happy New Year!
And happy New Year to you

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 12:55:02 PM »
Hopefully someone will help me out and answer a questions for me.

Ive never eaten a Neopilitan pizza.   So I don't know if what Im making can really be called that.   Im having a few issues.   

It seems like my pizzas are always a little soggy.   I think Id like the bottoms to be crispier.   Ive tried higher stone temp and lower temp with longer cook but there all the same.   They are light and airy but just seem soggy or doughy.

What do you think.  TO much sauce? to much olive oil? Or are Neopilitan pizza suppose to be like this.

I know the bottom are thin, sometimes I think to thin so I don't think the problem is uncooked dough due to thickness

Recipe for three 280 gm balls is

Caputo blue  502 gm
Water (62%) 309 gm
Salt (2.9%) 15 gm
Ischia  (2.9%)15 gms

THe pizzas taste great and neither the wife or guests have ever said anything bad.  so its just me being the cook who is complaining.

Jerry

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 01:46:58 PM »
I have a Bollore with the Saputo floor as well and after a lot of experimentation I found that a floor temperature of around 900 degrees F and a 250 g dough ball works best for me in getting a 12" or 13" inch Neapolitan that is neither too thick or too thin and allows it to crisp up underneath just a bit. When I was experimenting with 280 g balls I thought the crust was just a little too thick for this size pie and it often resulted in a softer crust underneath.

What I also do is stretch the dough out and shape it on a wooden prep board and then let it sit for about 15 minutes uncovered before topping and baking it. This seems to slightly dry the bottom out by sucking some more moisture from the dough into the wood. Also, make sure you let your pizza rest on a rack for just a minute or so when you take it out of the oven, otherwise that initial steam it gives off will make it more soft and soggy.   

My dough recipe is similar to yours except I use IDY and my hydration percentage is 65%.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 02:07:14 PM »

I have a Bollore with the Saputo floor as well and after a lot of experimentation I found that a floor temperature of around 900 degrees F and a 250 g dough ball works best for me in getting a 12" or 13" inch Neapolitan that is neither too thick or too thin and allows it to crisp up underneath just a bit. When I was experimenting with 280 g balls I thought the crust was just a little too thick for this size pie and it often resulted in a softer crust underneath.

What I also do is stretch the dough out and shape it on a wooden prep board and then let it sit for about 15 minutes uncovered before topping and baking it. This seems to slightly dry the bottom out by sucking some more moisture from the dough into the wood. Also, make sure you let your pizza rest on a rack for just a minute or so when you take it out of the oven, otherwise that initial steam it gives off will make it more soft and soggy.   

My dough recipe is similar to yours except I use IDY and my hydration percentage is 65%.

Thanks for your input

Normally I bulk for about 18 hrs, rt.  Then ball for 8 hrs. The balls are placed on a wood bottom container so the bottoms are very dry by the time i cook.  I use very little bench floor and sometimes non at all

I do put the pizzas directly on a pan.   Maybe my answer is a cooling rack first. I was going to try that last night but found I have only one rack large enough. So i didn't use it.   Maybe it's time to buy a rack or two

I read somewhere on the site where someone said placing the pizza on a cutting board or cardboard would work also. Any thoughts on this

Jerry

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2020, 02:51:15 PM »

I read somewhere on the site where someone said placing the pizza on a cutting board or cardboard would work also. Any thoughts on this

Jerry

It might be better than resting it on a metal pan but it will probably still trap a lot of hot moisture, especially near the middle. I have a round rack that I use for Neapolitan and NY style and a rectangular one for Detroit. The racks really help with all of these types. I generally only make one pizza at a time so I don't need multiple racks when baking.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2020, 04:32:14 PM »
Sounds like I might need to look for racks