A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Etna gas oven ( Edil Planet Forni )  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Guppy

• Pizza amateur
Etna gas oven ( Edil Planet Forni )
« on: September 16, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »
Hi,

This will be an initial review with place holders for full review (and hopefully others can chip in).

I was hesitant to buy over a bank transaction because of scams, however upon research Edil Planet Forni is an established business, so I proceeded to order via my credit union which was cheaper than any bank $40 for the overseas transfer. As soon as I sent via email confirmation of wire transfer, Dario shipped the next day and has remained communicative throughout the whole process! Very satisfied from that point of view. The oven itself came in a overly secure box with foam and lots of insulation! Even so, UPS managed to nick the box right at the bottom to maybe a 1/2 barely visible dent.

UPS had some delays (grrrrrrr ups...) 

Initial impressions are:

1. Built is hefty and does not feel cheap at all.
2. Theres goodies in the bag, a small wooden pizza peel and a tshirt!
3. the sicilian brick is about 1 inch thick with insulation on the bottom.
4. There are instructions on how to install which state there has to be a burn in process.
Unfortunately i cant run any other tests since #1 I lack a regulator and #2 I want to make sure everything is assembled correctly. Hopefully in the next 2-3 I clear this up a bit.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 03:21:18 PM by Pete-zza »
All your pizza are belong to me

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
Re: Etna gas oven ( Edil Planet Forni )
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 07:12:49 AM »
Is it just one stone or several?  If one,  how do you fit it into the oven?  On the Ardore, there are two stones and the fit together side by side. 

Offline Guppy

• Pizza amateur
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 11:44:06 AM »
Is it just one stone or several?  If one,  how do you fit it into the oven?  On the Ardore, there are two stones and the fit together side by side.
One stone only, it takes some effort and you need a wooden pry of some sort to remove it, but you can pull it in and out, its roughly 16*16 inch

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:10:46 PM »
Interesting.  They both looked similar, so I had guessed that the floor was in two pieces.  So let us know how big a pie you can bake in the Etna.   

I also forgot to ask,  did you see a thermocouple in it?  I didn't see one in the Ardore when I first looked it over, but did see it later.  You will know since you should have to turn the knob way or push it in, or do something similar for a few seconds to warm up the thermocouple.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:26:21 AM by barryvabeach »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 09:00:31 AM »
  When i got my oven from them there was no regulator or hose. a low pressure regulator works great with their oven. fortunately not expensive. because there is no hose you have to buy a regulator hose combination. with mine i had hose on hand so i could buy a regulator and fittings.
  you will find the burner to be very powerful and probably only run it 3/4 or less.
 no insulation is a issue you will have to raise it or the surface it sits on will get ruined. i know from experience .
 looking forward to your review.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
Interesting.  They both looked similar, so I had guessed that the floor was in two pieces.  So let us know how big a pie you can bake in the Etna.   

I also forgot to ask,  did you see a thermocouple in it?  I didn't see one in the Ardore when I first looked it over, but did see it later.  You will know since you should have to turn the knob way or push it in, or do something similar for a few seconds to warm up the thermocouple.

mine oven from them has none. just light it with the gas on a very low setting. can be scary. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 01:44:30 PM by thezaman »

Offline rkfiske

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 10:56:04 AM »
no insulation is a issue you will have to raise it or the surface it sits on will get ruined. i know from experience .

I'm planning to rest mine on some fire brick, do you have any suggestions? Sounds like you have come up with a solution that works?

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 12:43:12 PM »
I'm planning to rest mine on some fire brick, do you have any suggestions? Sounds like you have come up with a solution that works?

I have mine on an IKEA cart that has a stainless top. Would have been fine to place directly on the stainless top but I wanted so more height. I made a 4 riser out of 1x4 cedar from HD and used water based stain to match the cart. So far holding up. Fire extinguisher at the ready at all times.

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 01:06:09 PM »
In my test heat-up of the oven, it has been taking 45min to get to center floor temp of 850. I picked up a stainless peel from amazon that was just the right size to deflect back heat but still let the oven breathe. I have not tried it yet but will post results. The peel is a good gauge of stainless steel.

UPDATE: with this shield in place, from dead cold, oven flood center heated to 890 in 30 minutes. Definite improvement.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:00:37 PM by Roadrunner »

Offline rkfiske

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 01:23:14 PM »
I have mine on an IKEA cart that has a stainless top. Would have been fine to place directly on the stainless top but I wanted so more height. I made a 4 riser out of 1x4 cedar from HD and used water based stain to match the cart. So far holding up. Fire extinguisher at the ready at all times.

Oh man how funny, I was just eyeballing that same cart from Ikea! I ended up snagging a really great deal on a bench top tool stand and a roller cart for it for only 30 something bucks that I'm going to use, but I need to make my own top for it to rest on.
https://slickdeals.net/f/13380583-sears-craftsman-bench-top-tool-stand-17-94?src=catpagev2

Offline dasabonis

• Windsor Pizza is still the best
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 02:26:47 PM »
  When i got my oven from them there was no regulator or hose. a low pressure regulator works great with their oven. fortunately not expensive. because there is no hose you have to buy a regulator hose combination. with mine i had hose on hand so i could buy a regulator and fittings.
  you will find the burner to be very powerful and probably only run it 3/4 or less.

I actually asked Dario this specific question and he said there was insulation under the stone. Maybe they started adding it recently. Can someone who just received an oven confirm? I plan on using mine on an outdoor granite countertop and was hoping it didnt need to be raised.

Offline dasabonis

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »
Hi Everyone. Need some help here and hoping someone can help me out. I purchased this oven in the Natural Gas version, and I am reading that I need to purchase a low pressure regulator. Can someone please send me a link from Amazon or Ebay for an example of what I will need to make this work? Would they sell these low pressure regulators at a neighborhood Home Depot or Lowes? My oven is coming in this Friday and I want to make sure I have all the necessary material to get it up and running. Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline rkfiske

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 02:58:04 PM »
Hi Everyone. Need some help here and hoping someone can help me out. I purchased this oven in the Natural Gas version, and I am reading that I need to purchase a low pressure regulator. Can someone please send me a link from Amazon or Ebay for an example of what I will need to make this work? Would they sell these low pressure regulators at a neighborhood Home Depot or Lowes? My oven is coming in this Friday and I want to make sure I have all the necessary material to get it up and running. Thanks in advance for the help!

I just finished speaking with Luca (I believe Dario's brother?) and he told me that the 250 port that I had was in fact for natural gas and that there was no regulator needed if you were hooking it up to residential gas. I'd still be careful doing it because I am unsure what the different pressures are between NG here and in Italy, so I plan to do a little more research, but it don't believe a regulator is required for our use. I just need to find the proper adapter to connect in to my system.

Offline dasabonis

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 03:05:42 PM »
I just finished speaking with Luca (I believe Dario's brother?) and he told me that the 250 port that I had was in fact for natural gas and that there was no regulator needed if you were hooking it up to residential gas. I'd still be careful doing it because I am unsure what the different pressures are between NG here and in Italy, so I plan to do a little more research, but it don't believe a regulator is required for our use. I just need to find the proper adapter to connect in to my system.

Thanks so much for the info! If you don't mind, could you please keep us posted on how you will connect your gas line to the oven? I have a natural gas quick connect coming out of my house in the back yard. I am just gonna need to figure out what fitting i need to connect to the oven. Thanks.

Offline rkfiske

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 03:14:49 PM »
Thanks so much for the info! If you don't mind, could you please keep us posted on how you will connect your gas line to the oven? I have a natural gas quick connect coming out of my house in the back yard. I am just gonna need to figure out what fitting i need to connect to the oven. Thanks.

Of course, the only issue is that I'm waiting to hear back on my broken brick floor in the oven. I'd rather not fire up anything until I have that taken care of. So there's a chance that you might get to it before me!

As far as fittings go, it looks to be a pretty small connection, I think it's less than a regular 3/8" fitting? Might need an adapter. I use a 3/8" flexible hose with a quick disconnect that I link up to my connection in my backyard as well. It's currently only used for my outdoor wok, but I plan to pick up a couple quick disconnects and adapters so I can outfit both the wok and the oven with disconnects and swap the hose. I picked up a somewhat inexpensive hose from Amazon that has been doing quite well. One word of suggestion is to ensure that you save and use those plastic caps to cover the connectors when not in use. I've heard that spiders can get all up in there and build webs and essentially ruin the flow within the pipes and hoses. I have been using those rubber protective caps and so far have not had an issue with my wok! A little worried because the pizza oven has a quite large and open venturi looking port where the jet connects. Not sure if I should consider some fine screen to cover it or if that will mess with the airflow too much.

Offline Guppy

• Pizza amateur
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 10:03:45 PM »
Second run as per instructions to 300 c.  Man the horrible smell, like burnt plastic! Hopefully it goes away but it certainly smells like trouble!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:18:43 PM by Guppy »

Offline rkfiske

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 10:52:24 PM »
Second run as per instructions to 300 c.  Man the horrible smell, like burnt plastic! Hopefully it goes away but it certainly smells like trouble!

Dumb question but did you make sure to remove all the protective film? Maybe there's some small bits trapped around the sheet metal bends?

Also was there anything that needed to be removed from under the floor?

Offline Guppy

• Pizza amateur
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 12:19:32 AM »
Dumb question but did you make sure to remove all the protective film? Maybe there's some small bits trapped around the sheet metal bends?

Also was there anything that needed to be removed from under the floor?
You know the one thing I didnt check, was under the oven itself! I will check once it cools off! But the instructions do mention odor and smoke so  ???

Offline Guppy

• Pizza amateur
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 12:26:18 AM »
Alright gang
Floor temp was about 840F. Man it took like a whole hour to get there! I wonder if part of the flame getting outside of the oven creates a loss? I can see how covering the entrance up can create excess pressure to go out the only other hole which is the gas nozzle.

My shaping probably needs improvement! and one of my doughs stuck to the plate, I was too conservative with the oil!

Slightly modified Forkish 24 hour dough
 100% Gold medal bread flour
60% water
2.7 % salt
0.3% yeast
Pureed Cento tomatos
Low hydration mozarella

I tried to do a 250 g dough ball. My current scale only goes to 1g, so I measured 1g of yeast and divided it by two.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 08:58:21 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 07:19:53 AM »

look at your table under the unit.the under floor gets very hot. it could be burning that surface. the oven needs raised. i use fire bricks to protect my table. i had awful smells coming out of mine it was my table top burning.i added double insulation under my floor. helped some.

wordpress