A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Roccbox v Koda  (Read 1088 times)

Offline --b--

Roccbox v Koda
« on: November 25, 2019, 04:19:47 PM »
Hi guys

ive been reading everything i can lay my eyes on so i thought id start a thread here to hopefully get some direct advice. im trying to decide between the Roccbox and the Ooni Koda... Im in australia so the price difference is about $400 AUD (about $270 USD)

im not the sort of guy who is going to cook pizza every week. i love pizza though and ive always wanted to be able to up my game from the results achievable in a home oven... and hey its a new toy and im sure it will give me great joy over the summer months!

so anyway, theres the background.. im wondering if anyone here can share their thought on the pros and cons of each? is there anything glaring about the Koda that would justify me spending the extra for the Roccbox? the woodfire option of the roxxbox doesnt bother me at all - i think ill be using gas basically all the time anyway.

any advice is greatly appreciated!
cheers

Offline --b--

Re: Roccbox v Koda
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 05:01:08 PM »
i think this is probably a much asked question here lol and i actually just stumbled on another thread where a few people who own the Koda werent really very happy with it (uneven heating seems to be the main gripe?)

hmm i guess like most things you get what you pay for.. sadly im one of those guys who is frequently caught spending more than i should on the best thing that can sometimes be overkill for my needs ! lol

Offline tkmcmichael

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 07:35:09 PM »
If you want to spend more and get a better into the pizza party Ardore. It is a great little pizza oven.

Offline ccgus

• Maybe Pizza?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 01:17:27 PM »
Speaking as someone who uses a Roccbox and loves it and would buy another one instantly if anything ever happened to it- maybe get the Koda if you're not going to be doing that much baking with it?

The Roccbox is more sturdy, retains heat between bakes better (from what I've seen reported), and is used all over for pop up pizza stands. But, if you're only going to be baking one or two pies every couple of weeks, the Koda might be the better fit for you. I've seen good looking pizzas come out of the Koda, so you won't be needlessly suffering with that choice :)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 02:08:21 PM »
B, as above. i have been playing with a koda and have gotten good pizzas from it. it will cost a lot less and the results can be as good as the roccbox. i will post a couple of pizzas i made using a skillet to control the floor temperature

Offline --b--

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 03:18:05 PM »
thanks for the replies guys. im still very torn lol

as above im the sort of guy who lives by the 'buy once, buy right' sort of motto lol. i like the idea of the better quality roccbox and something that ill be happy with for years to come, so its certainly helping me lean toward spending a little more. that said i also dont want to just waste money when i dont need to!

even the idea (as per above post) that i need to fiddle with the Koda to get decent results isnt all that appealing but still, im very keen to see some of your example pizzas, so cheers!

Offline ccgus

• Maybe Pizza?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 04:22:57 PM »
but still, im very keen to see some of your example pizzas, so cheers!

A friend of mine recently got a Koda, and he's been posting some pics on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4blNV-JeQS/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4YQh7kJ1Ua/

I think those are some of the better pizzas to come out of a Koda.

Online jsaras

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 05:33:58 PM »
A friend of mine recently got a Koda, and he's been posting some pics on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4blNV-JeQS/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4YQh7kJ1Ua/

I think those are some of the better pizzas to come out of a Koda.

Those look great.  Do you know what the bake times were? Does he have any undercarriage pics?  Although I'm delighted with my Ardore, I have several acquaintances who have expressed interest in getting a pizza oven, but they weren't prepared to throw $800+.   If the Koda is roughly comparable for under $300, that would be the best bargain since the Blackstone. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
  • I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 06:42:36 PM »
Does he have any undercarriage pics?

That is why I sent my Koda back. Too much inconsistency. I see people get good bakes in it, but for me, it was more trouble than it was worth.

Offline --b--

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 11:21:08 PM »
what sort of oven have you got now Jeff?

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Roccbox v Kod
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 12:35:27 AM »
I have just stated using the koda. To me the biggest problem is getting the front part of the stone hot enough. The pizza can only bake for a short time before the edge facing the fire burns. If the front part of the stone isnít hot enough then the pizza bottom does not set up.
 I heat the oven till the back hits upper 800 degrees. This gives the front a chance to get hot around 500 degrees. I put a 11 cast iron pan in the back till,the temperature is in the low 700 degree range. I pull the pan make my pizza and bake. I find a metal peel works best because the dough area by the door is still a little soft. The turns are around 25 second then 180 degree turn 20 seconds per turn 90 degree turn then 180. So it about a 90 second pizza.
 Picture two different bakes top bottom and oven plus skillet.

Offline ccgus

• Maybe Pizza?
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 04:05:33 PM »
Do you know what the bake times were? Does he have any undercarriage pics?

He (Neven) said they were baked at about 90 seconds at 935į (as measured in the back of the oven). I didn't ask about undercarriage pics, sorry.

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
  • I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 09:45:32 PM »
what sort of oven have you got now Jeff?

Just the home oven for now

Offline --b--

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 11:40:37 PM »
hey guys just an update because i noticed they had a black friday sale and were giving away the turning peel and cover for free so i went and bought the roccbox!!

ive officially joined the club. cant wait to post some pics here when i fire it up!

thanks for the assistance in this thread too :)