A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Etna gas oven ( Edil Planet Forni )  (Read 5635 times)

Offline dasabonis

• Windsor Pizza is still the best
Re: Etna gas oven ( Edil Planet Forni )
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2019, 03:13:19 PM »
Ok first time cooking at these temps so please don't be too harsh! This thing is definitely powerful. Takes about 20-25 mins to get to 900. In between pizzas I came out and it was over 950. I had to turn the gas down. First pic cooked in about 70s.second pic cooked in about 60s

Offline Guppy

• Pizza amateur
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »
Ok first time cooking at these temps so please don't be too harsh! This thing is definitely powerful. Takes about 20-25 mins to get to 900. In between pizzas I came out and it was over 950. I had to turn the gas down. First pic cooked in about 70s.second pic cooked in about 60s
Is it better than windsor pizza? lol

Looks great! Also mind sharing dough recipe?
All your pizza are belong to me

Offline dasabonis

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2019, 03:41:47 PM »
Is it better than windsor pizza? lol

Looks great! Also mind sharing dough recipe?

Thank you. I just used the recipe from Pizzapp for an 8 hr room temp dough with ADY. I combined all ingredients, kneaded for 5 mins. Let rest 20. Another couple mins of kneading. Let rest another 20. Balled and let rest for 8 hrs. Caputo 00 flour.

Offline Guppy

• Pizza amateur
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2019, 04:34:50 PM »
Thank you. I just used the recipe from Pizzapp for an 8 hr room temp dough with ADY. I combined all ingredients, kneaded for 5 mins. Let rest 20. Another couple mins of kneading. Let rest another 20. Balled and let rest for 8 hrs. Caputo 00 flour.
Ah caputo, thats why.

I want to experiment. From lowest bread dough available, to locally sourced, to caputo and see what differences I can spot

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2019, 04:42:40 PM »
Here is one from yesterday. 90 seconds, maybe 15 seconds too long. Crust was so tender. Backed this on a cordierite stone as my Sicilian brick cracked and need to have seller send replacement.  Oven cooks well.

00 Caputo Blue
63%
16hr RT
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:18:10 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline dasabonis

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2019, 05:58:01 PM »
Here is one from yesterday. 90 seconds, maybe 15 seconds too long. Crust was so tender. Backed this on a cordierite stone as my Sicilian brick cracked and need to have seller send replacement.  Oven cooks well.

00 Caputo Blue
63%
16hr RT

That looks great

Offline Guppy

• Pizza amateur
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2019, 08:13:18 PM »

00 Caputo Blue
63%
16hr RT

16 hour RT? wow!  was that sourdough?

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2019, 08:45:04 PM »

16 hour RT? wow!  was that sourdough?

No sourdough. I usually do 24hr RT.  Its all about managing the amount of yeast. There are a few calculators on this site that help with that. I like the CalcolaPizza app for Apple.

Offline DoughFoSho

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2019, 05:39:44 AM »
I have a question for you guys.

I've never tasted a Neapolitan pizza before, but it does sound and taste awesome. My home oven is pretty trash (not even suitable for NY style) and so I was considering purchasing one of these ovens, and the ETNA one seems like a good choice. The question is, will I be able to adjust the heat and tone it down in order to be able to make NY style pizzas, as well? In that case I'd consider that a win - a new oven that can bake both style pizzas, rather than just a NY one.

Thanks!

Offline dasabonis

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2019, 02:15:23 PM »
I have a question for you guys.

I've never tasted a Neapolitan pizza before, but it does sound and taste awesome. My home oven is pretty trash (not even suitable for NY style) and so I was considering purchasing one of these ovens, and the ETNA one seems like a good choice. The question is, will I be able to adjust the heat and tone it down in order to be able to make NY style pizzas, as well? In that case I'd consider that a win - a new oven that can bake both style pizzas, rather than just a NY one.

Thanks!

Yes there is a valve on the back where you can adjust the flame. I can run mine between 500F - 1000F. Please keep in mind you wont be able to make much larger than a 12" pizza. If you're ok with that, then I would not hesitate to buy one of these.

Offline BackyardPizzaiolo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2019, 10:38:30 AM »
This oven is powerful. I haven't tested it to see how long it takes to get to 900, but I don't think it'll be too long.

You're not concerned about heat on your countertop? I would be afraid of cracking the counter.

Something else, don't you feel the burner could have been moved to the left a little bit? I feel like the space under the burner is probably not getting as warm.

Offline dasabonis

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2019, 03:55:42 PM »
You're not concerned about heat on your countertop? I would be afraid of cracking the counter.

Something else, don't you feel the burner could have been moved to the left a little bit? I feel like the space under the burner is probably not getting as warm.

I elevated it because it is definitely hot. I am using a granite countertop so im not too concerned. I have done about 5 cools and so far no issues.
As for the burner being shifted to the left, It is as far left as it can go, but i think the difference between this oven and the ardore, is that the Ardore is has a taller dome. This allows the burner to be a little bit farther left, relative to the floor. I dont hav any issue with the floor being too cold on the left. I turn the pizza 180 after about 30s and it comes out cooked evenly

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2019, 05:09:44 PM »
an update on my experience with this oven...

As I previously wrote about, my Sicilian brick cracked after a few uses.  it was not a great stone in terms of performance and I decided not to replace with seller which was proving to be not customer friendly to deal with.  I went with a true saputo stone and it is night and day difference from what came with the oven.  As for the oven, it heats well and maintains temp well and I have been making some great pizza with it on the real saputo.  i don't like that there are no legs with the oven and i had to make a base to rest it on so it does not damage my table.

Because of the issue i had with the with the stock brick (the crack and that it did not perform well) and the oven not having legs or a stand, i cannot fully make a recommendation to buy.  Having said that, I am happy with mine but had to put more money into it to deal with its shortcomings.  The Pizza Party Adore with the Saputo brick option, although pricy, seems like it may be the frustration way to go. 

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2019, 11:12:38 AM »

As I previously wrote about, my Sicilian brick cracked after a few uses.  it was not a great stone in terms of performance and I decided not to replace with seller which was proving to be not customer friendly to deal with.  I went with a true saputo stone and it is night and day difference from what came with the oven.  As for the oven, it heats well and maintains temp well and I have been making some great pizza with it on the real saputo.  i don't like that there are no legs with the oven and i had to make a base to rest it on so it does not damage my table.

Because of the issue i had with the with the stock brick (the crack and that it did not perform well) and the oven not having legs or a stand, i cannot fully make a recommendation to buy.  Having said that, I am happy with mine but had to put more money into it to deal with its shortcomings.  The Pizza Party Adore with the Saputo brick option, although pricy, seems like it may be the frustration way to go.

Sorry for your difficulties, but you seem to have dealt with them.

Most of us are in an extended learning phase, when it comes to making pizzas, and probably the majority of us will never exit it :-)  As such, I think there is an over-emphasis on making Neapolitan pizzas on this forum, when there are many other pizza styles, any of which could be preferable for a given individual.  I own an Ardore, which I used a lot initially, but now which gets little use.  Some of that is due to the fact that it's outside, and except in the summer is less pleasant to deal with in cold or bad weather, but also to its limitations on pizza size, the fact that it's dimly lit inside (lit only by the flames), and just overall more of a chore to use.

In contrast, I really love using my Waring Pro WPO500 110v electric oven, although you can't get it much above 800 F.  I have settled into a routine of using it in the 700 to 750 F range, but I'm going to do some experimentation with somewhat longer bakes and a bit lower temps (600-650F) to see if my thin crust pizzas have a better result when cooked a little more slowly.

I'm only writing this post because this sort of thread tends to give a myopic view of pizza making, that the choice is between this Etna oven and the Ardore.  I don't believe that is the case, there are other options that can produce pizzas that you may personally find to be preferable to what you will get out of either of these gas fired ovens.  I've found Waring customer service to be excellent; they just replaced an entire oven because the analog temperature gauge (not really necessary anyway, better to use an IR heat gun on the stone) stopped working.  If you go with the Waring, I highly recommend replacing the not-very-good stock stone with a cordierite stone, probably either 5/8" or 3/4" thickness, 18" x 18".  Contact a pottery supply store for this and order a cordierite kiln shelf.  I have found from personal experience that the 1" stone is too thick, both for reasons of taking way too long to heat up, plus it restricts oven height more than it needs to.

And the good news is that the Waring is in the same price league as these gas ovens, and you can sometimes get a deal with such things as online coupons, making offers on ebay, or during an ebay bucks promotion.  Something that is sold through US retail channels has its advantages over something that needs to be imported, both in terms of the hassle factor, and with customer service.

Offline Guppy

• Pizza amateur
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2019, 07:20:29 PM »

What differences have you observed with the sicilian brick vs saputo stone?

Offline rkfiske

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »

I've been waiting for a resolution to complete in order to report my opinions, but as I'm still stuck without a good resolution and due to Roadrunner's review I'll go ahead and piggyback his review as well. My oven arrived with broken stone floor upon delivery and I still have yet to get a resolution to my problem. Edil Planet initially offloaded me to their logistics company to deal with, who then had me send my oven back to UPS for some review. I never received a completed review for it, but was only told in writing from the logistics company that my oven was found to be "fine". I explained that the shell was okay but the brick was not. They told me UPS said it was not their fault. Upon calling UPS later to get my oven back from them, I was told they had identified the broken brick and that they never had heard from the logistics company. I believe I was getting yanked around for that. I contacted Edil Planet on numerous occasions trying to get them to help me with the issue, but only received back pretty rude replies. They even accused me of breaking the brick intentionally to get a refund. So to echo Roadrunner's remarks, Edil Planet definitely left something to be desired with customer service. To their credit, both Dario and Luca were very friendly to talk to, but Agostino was the one that I was discussing the broken brick with and he was the one who had accused me of intentionally breaking my oven even after sending them dated photos from the same day as delivery showing the shattered stone. They would only offer me the brick but required me to pay for the shipping. When I brought up that I thought it was unfair to make me pay for shipping for an item that was received damaged, he essentially told me they were victims too and for all he knew, I was doing this all just to get a refund. I've never had that kind of response from a seller, took me quite by surprise. This whole ordeal has left me quite frustrated and angry.

I do believe the oven will be great to use once I can get it operating, but I have had to purchase my own Saputo floor meant for the Ardore from Pizza Party at my own expense. It should arrive soon, I'm hoping it'll fit in well. Then I just need to get my fittings now that my oven is finally back from UPS.

It sounds like mine was the only one damaged in transport, so if you wanted to take a gamble it might be worth it with perhaps the standard corderite stone vs the sicilian floor. Perhaps it's more durable? I would definitely be hesitant to order with a wire transfer as you wouldn't have any recourse action to take in the event of a damaged shipment. If you used your card via paypal, you would hopefully at least be able to bring it up with them. Additionally, if your card has good exchange rates, you can bypass Paypal's expensive exchange fees.

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »

It sounds like mine was the only one damaged in transport, so if you wanted to take a gamble it might be worth it with perhaps the standard corderite stone vs the sicilian floor. Perhaps it's more durable? I would definitely be hesitant to order with a wire transfer as you wouldn't have any recourse action to take in the event of a damaged shipment. If you used your card via paypal, you would hopefully at least be able to bring it up with them. Additionally, if your card has good exchange rates, you can bypass Paypal's expensive exchange fees.

Don't count on anything when it comes to using Paypal for an international transaction.  I absolutely hate this company and although forced to use them for some transactions, especially using ebay, they are impossible to get a hold of when there is a problem, and they do nothing to help you resolve one when it occurs.

I recently bought some Italian leather sandals that was shipped to me from Italy; I've bought from the manufacturer many times in the past and never had any problems with them.  The order was for over $500, and when I received the invoice I went through all the screens on Paypal, got to the one where they (by default) offer to do the currency exchange themselves, unchecked the box and indicated that I wanted my card charged in Euros, then hit "submit" or whatever the button said.  They did the conversion anyway for my card that has no transaction conversion fees, which amounted to about $25.

I then wasted about an hour trying to get someone on the phone to fix this.  The first person, after half an hour on hold, hung up on me in mid-sentence.  The second person was so stupid that he didn't even understand the issue I was raising.  I then went back online and tried to get them to reverse the charge; the reaction was an automated message to the seller telling them that the transaction had been reported as fraudulent, which then caused a week's delay in getting the items shipped.

I contested the charge with my bank which appears to be going nowhere.

Bottom line was $25 and an hour or two wasted to no avail.

Paypal has zero customer service, cannot be contacted in a normal way, and has misleading and intentionally designed software whose attempt is to get you to pay them for services you do not want.

I am hoping that a hungry class action lawyer goes after them on this currency conversion scam; generally, I hate those folks, but in this case it would be well-deserved.

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »
What differences have you observed with the sicilian brick vs saputo stone?

I find that the saputo is thicker and more dense and heats faster and hotter than the sicilian. I could not get to over 900 with the Sicilian but with the saputo I can get to 1000 if I let it go. I may have just received a poor quality Sicilian (obviously it cracked in me after a few uses).

Offline rkfiske

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2019, 05:03:22 PM »
I find that the saputo is thicker and more dense and heats faster and hotter than the sicilian. I could not get to over 900 with the Sicilian but with the saputo I can get to 1000 if I let it go. I may have just received a poor quality Sicilian (obviously it cracked in me after a few uses).

Do you still have those pieces of greenish-grey fiberglass(?) insulation underneath your new saputo?

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »
Do you still have those pieces of greenish-grey fiberglass(?) insulation underneath your new saputo?

i had thrown the insulation that came with it out.  i bought stove insulation off amazon and laid under the stone  and it works just fine to insulate bottom.

wordpress