A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: strech and fold and FDT  (Read 183 times)

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
strech and fold and FDT
« on: September 17, 2019, 09:41:50 PM »
Tom,
I'm hand mixing dough in batches in the 10K range.

I do a high % prefermented flour levian style mix with SD (2.5%) and trace amounts (.2-.3%) of IDY. The method is based on Italmil's scrotchetella process.

I mix the prefremt, chill 12-18 hours then mix final dough by hand, let rest 1 hour. Perform 5-8 strech and folds over 2-4 hours RT. Then I scale, ball and chill for a 2-4 day CF.

I'm really liking the process and results. Since I've had to scale up my batches beyond what what my nutrimil will handle; it's been simpler to hand mix. That requires the prolonged strech and fold to fit my work flow. So I feel like direct mix, ball, chill doesn't fit well.

My target FTD is 70-75 and ambiant temp is 75-78.

It requires me to be at the mercy of the dough to moniter the mixing and RT strech and fold so it ferments at a perdictable rate.

What's the best tatic improve work flow predictablility?

The ideas I came up with are:
  • shoot for a lower FDT like 55 or 60
    retard the dough during the strech and fold stage then ball and CF
    bulk CF 24 hours then ball

I'm open and the goal is less finicky work flow.

here is the formula:

100% peak performer/ t85 / fine durham blend
65% water (sometimes I do Roman style with 75% h2o as well)
2.5% starter
.3% IDY
3% salt
5% oil

I preferment 50 % of the flour with 30% h2o, .2% IDY and cold ferment 12-18 hours.

Then mix in remaining ingredients, rest, strech and fold RT 2-4 hours, ball, chill, CF 2-4 days. 

Bake in a blackstone at 650-700

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
    • Dough Doctor
Re: strech and fold and FDT
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 11:25:11 PM »
First off, 0.2 to 0.3% IDY is not exactly what I'd call a "trace" amount of IDY, it's essentially a full dose of IDY for a CF dough. This in itself might be the source of some of your issues? I wouldn't recommend going to the lower finished dough temperature as you've proposed since it will be much more difficult to consistently achieve (the further your targeted finished dough temperature is from the room temperature the more difficult it will be to consistently achieve your targeted finished dough temperature. My advice is to keep it where its at in the 70 to 75F range.
Tom Lehmann/ The Dough Doctor

A D V E R T I S E M E N T