A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: PH pan rolled thin?  (Read 364 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
PH pan rolled thin?
« on: September 18, 2019, 11:07:16 AM »

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to make a crispy bottom thin crust pizza?
I like the "fried" bottom of PH pan but not crazy about all the "bread" like rest of the dough.
Is it even possible to make a thinner, tender crumb that has a fried, airy, crisp bottom? That would be one heck of a hybrid... Getting a dough to act like 2 different doughs! 😁
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: PH pan rolled thin?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
Absolutely! There really isn't anything very special about the PH thick crust dough that would prohibit its use in making a thin crust pizza. There are some commercial frozen pizzas being made using cold pressing equipment which requires the skin to be pressed onto a special pan, and since a pan comes into play oil is needed to facilitate release of the crust from the pan (crusts are par-baked) hence they are fried as opposed to being baked in the traditional manner and don't forget about the Celeste brand frozen pizzas, they are made using a fried crust. Frying absolutely improves the crispiness of the finished crust (any crust formulation), so if you want to use a PH thick crust clone dough formulation and bake it in a pan using oil as a thin crust go for it, it will absolutely work.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: PH pan rolled thin?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 08:01:12 PM »
Thank you Tom. In the back of my mind (shudder) I was thinking that there is probably a frozen pizza somewhere that has this sort of crust.
I tried a frozen "Outsider's" Milwaukee pepperoni pizza last night and thought that pizza would prolly be pretty good if fried in an oily pan.

Thanks again!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress