A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How to get a soft cornicione?  (Read 343 times)

Offline tsimons

• It's all supervised!
How to get a soft cornicione?
« on: September 28, 2019, 01:20:35 PM »
I just got a P^3. I am trying to get a cornicione that is soft in the middle and crispy on the outside that is real easy to chew and delicate. However, all I am getting are crusts that are chewy, "bready" and just a little too stiff for my liking.

I am using TXCraig's method, but since I don't have a starter yet, I am just using IDY (0.025%). I am doing bulk fermentation for 24h and profing for 20h @ ~65 degrees. I am also using AP flour since I don't think I am ready to move on to 00 flour (but maybe that is my problem).

I get the oven deck to 850 - 950 degrees, but I am still learning how to control the WFO.

I have a few ideas on what to experiment with next, but wanted some feedback from those who already know,

Things I might try next:

- Not using the heat guard that come with the P^3. Maybe I need to use more radiant heat from the flames to cook the pie.
- Using less yeast, less time or a lower temperature when fermenting/proofing.
- Playing around with the level of hydration. Maybe the softness and/or creepiness comes from more moisture in the dough.
- Opening the dough differently. Maybe my dough needs to be thinner.
- Kneading the dough less. Maybe the gluten was over developed.
- Use 00 flour.

What advice would you give to get a tender crust and cornicione?

Offline Elkaybay

• #pizzalife
Re: How to get a soft cornicione?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 03:52:38 PM »
Could you send a picture of your dough balls just before you slap them, as well as just after you slap them?
A soft and airy corniccione is a result of a well airy/fermented dough, a short/hot bake (about 60 seconds on a 450C stone), and a proper slapping that keeps enough dough mass in what will become the corniccione.

Offline tsimons

• It's all supervised!
Re: How to get a soft cornicione?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 11:21:03 PM »
Could you send a picture of your dough balls just before you slap them, as well as just after you slap them?
A soft and airy corniccione is a result of a well airy/fermented dough, a short/hot bake (about 60 seconds on a 450C stone), and a proper slapping that keeps enough dough mass in what will become the corniccione.
When I make more this next week I'll be sure the upload the pictures. I usually get a puffy crust. Too puffy most of the time. I get big pockets of gas in the dough as I open it. I think the deck of my oven is hot enough and there is plenty of air in the dough, but maybe I am mistaken. I'll upload pictures this next week.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress