A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Tonda Romana  (Read 3801 times)

Offline jsaras

Re: Pizza Tonda Romana
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2020, 09:57:42 AM »
Good day, compa!
Is this style normally only served as single or small serving? Could you provide grams per ball weight? My reading comprehension today is not seeing that information.
180 grams is the norm, if you believe what 180g Pizzeria in Rome says.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »
Hola mamacita! ;D

I thought I wrote that a couple of times.. :D

But I'd say in general around 180g and somewhere around 30cm/12" in diameter.

It's normally served as a single personal pizza and not cut into triangles or squares.  Still it's probably common to trade a couple of slices with your friends
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2020, 10:06:21 AM »
180 grams is the norm, if you believe what 180g Pizzeria in Rome says.
Gracias! That’s my old MBE territory, so I might have a recipe already.
Hola mamacita! ;D

I thought I wrote that a couple of times.. :D

But I'd say in general around 180g and somewhere around 30cm/12" in diameter.

It's normally served as a single personal pizza and not cut into triangles or squares.  Still it's probably common to trade a couple of slices with your friends

My eyeballs are still crossed after a long day of partying with the hubby. Adelanté.

Reesa

Offline ARenko

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2020, 03:16:02 PM »
If this is cracker style I never would've found it by looking for it in the specific forum.  It's not cracker style as I think of it.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2020, 06:55:28 AM »
I think that Steve possibly erred in moving it here.  It is an Italian style and yes crackly but I think different to the rest here.  What puzzles me somewhat is that this thread got moved, while several other tonda Romana threads are still in the General forum.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2020, 08:38:58 AM »
I think that Steve possibly erred in moving it here.  It is an Italian style and yes crackly but I think different to the rest here.  What puzzles me somewhat is that this thread got moved, while several other tonda Romana threads are still in the General forum.

Jack, I think it may belong here after all or general pizza, but whaddoiknow?  Here's something I remembered where crunch and crisp were discussed and many experiments and observations had by all along the way.  It was a running joke in many threads, was it crunchy or crispy?   https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=41028.msg409479#msg409479
Reesa

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2020, 09:51:16 AM »
I also think whaddoiknow!

I've never had a US cracker style pizza, but I thought it was baked in a pan with fat, rolled out with a pin and docked, etc, etc.  Mine is an Italian style favored in Rome, it was extended by hand, not docked and cooked directly on the stone... :D

I suppose they both go crack, crisp and crunch! :)
Jack

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2020, 10:07:59 AM »
I also think whaddoiknow!

I've never had a US cracker style pizza, but I thought it was baked in a pan with fat, rolled out with a pin and docked, etc, etc.  Mine is an Italian style favored in Rome, it was extended by hand, not docked and cooked directly on the stone... :D

I suppose they both go crack, crisp and crunch! :)

Yes, that is the common distinction...thin and loud.  toppings edge to edge...
There are many ways to get there, and docking is not always involved.
I remember asking Fazzari about higher hydration thin cracker after I used bacon fat to laminate a dough that was high hydration, and he had an answer! ....oh yes, and then there's the thread called how to get rid of the water.... LOL. I think the key to your style quest is either rolled or slapped down thin, low oil. 
Most of the info I find about scrocchiarella, especially the images and videos shows a rolling pin as part of the process.  Read some more of these cracker threads. I do not like dry dough and would not want to try to make one, but I am all over this quest...especially since my sourdough exploits give me something new to work with again.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:11:26 AM by texmex »
Reesa

Offline ARenko

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2020, 11:16:49 AM »
All I remember is Pizza Hut's thin crust that I had once back in the 80's.  It was like pizza on a saltine cracker.  I never wanted anything to do with cracker style again.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2020, 11:36:41 AM »
Most of the info I find about scrocchiarella, especially the images and videos shows a rolling pin as part of the process.  Read some more of these cracker threads. I do not like dry dough and would not want to try to make one, but I am all over this quest...especially since my sourdough exploits give me something new to work with again.

Yes a rolling pin is often used (but not always) :)

I think the key is to cook it slower (thus at a lower heat) and to bake most of the water out of the dough so that the result is thin and crunchy.
Jack

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2020, 04:11:38 PM »
Call me crazy, but the defining aspect of a cracker style pizza is that the crust is at least a bit like a cracker. I'd say an arbitrary max hydration is ~50% and realistically, it may be down in the 30's. It may require substantial amounts of fat in the dough too. At least 3-5%, I'd think.  I don't think that either crispness nor the use of a rolling pin is enough to categorize something as cracker style. Or, is Lucali actually cracker style?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2020, 08:25:06 AM »
Call me crazy, but the defining aspect of a cracker style pizza is that the crust is at least a bit like a cracker. I'd say an arbitrary max hydration is ~50% and realistically, it may be down in the 30's. It may require substantial amounts of fat in the dough too. At least 3-5%, I'd think.  I don't think that either crispness nor the use of a rolling pin is enough to categorize something as cracker style. Or, is Lucali actually cracker style?

I think following that Lucali style is exactly what is needed, but I would still use 60% hydration, oil in the dough, and at least 12 hours in the fridge. That's just me, though.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=55282.msg561266#msg561266

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=46710.msg468577#msg468577

Reesa

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #52 on: Today at 12:30:14 PM »
I'd be happy to move this topic somewhere else, but not sure where it fits.