A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Best Papa John crust  (Read 238 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Best Papa John crust
« on: September 29, 2019, 10:23:37 PM »
I'm thinking about making one of these popular forum pizzas.

But first, I want to know what crust option at Papa's is the most liked.... Assume regular. But they have a thin crispy... And a thicker one too?

Educate ole Bob please! 🤔
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Best Papa John crust
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »
I'm thinking about making one of these popular forum pizzas.

But first, I want to know what crust option at Papa's is the most liked.... Assume regular. But they have a thin crispy... And a thicker one too?

Educate ole Bob please! 🤔
Bob,

To the best of my knowledge, Papa John's makes three styles of pizza--Original, Thin and Pan. Not all pizzas are made in the three styles. To know what styles are made for any given pizza, I would suggest that you look at the full online pizza menu at a local PJ store in your area and then scan the nutrition information. That is one of the places where you can see the styles for the various pizzas.

In my case, when I played around with the PJ clone pizzas, I stuck with the clone doughs for Original pizzas. I came up with several different versions of the clone Original doughs. You can see those versions in the first few pages of the thread at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg58195#msg58195.

I also played around with clone pizza sauces for the PJ clone pizzas, at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6633.msg56931#msg56931

Of the various versions of the PJ clone Original doughs, I would say that most popular version is the one given at Reply 20 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg59217#msg59217

From time to time I would tweak some of the PJ clone dough formulations as better information came to my attention. Over the years, Papa John's itself has made changes to its recipes.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 12:53:44 PM »
Excellent.... Thank you sir!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pizza Journey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 08:45:43 PM »
The original crust is by far the best. It has a slightly sweet flavor, nice texture/foldiness from the oil, and the right amount of saltiness. The best of the big chain pizzas, IMO. Even though the crusts are usually dipped in the garlic sauce, they are definitely good standalone too.

I am disappointed in their thin crust and pan pizzas. The thin crust is very very dry and cracker-like but also has a strange softness due to the oil in the dough. It's like a bizarro world version of the Pizza Hut thin crust, and not very good.

The pan pizza, I believe, is the same exact dough as the original. And the dough is not as well-suited for pan pizza, IMO. It is a disappointment and not worth ordering.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 06:19:19 PM »
 I have made Peter's version at reply 20 several times. I have brought it to several games and it was well received by the crowd. I have taught the recipe and workflow to a couple of friends. They have had good success with it. It's a great beginner's  recipe and the dough is easy to work with.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T