A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: re-creating Scarr's pizza  (Read 7405 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Re: re-creating Scarr's pizza
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2020, 05:27:47 PM »
I made a very similar dough to the one Marlon posted. Went down to 3% salt though, and up to 4% olive oil(which was a mistake when I poured it in whoops!) I cooked it in an Ooni oven and it was really excellent. I am completely sold on the addition of 10% whole wheat. Mine came from Castle Valley Mill out of PA its a very rustic flour with the wheat germ left in it.

Thanks Marlon for the excellent recipe, canít wait to make more pizza!
That looks amazing.  Beautiful oven spring.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Movefast

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2020, 10:38:10 PM »
I played around with a Scarrís style dough a few weeks ago as I wanted to do a side by side with my current/preferred dough formula and I think it came out pretty close.  Here is the formula/workflow I used if it would help you out. 

90% Bread flour (I used Central Milling/Power flour even mix)
10% Whole wheat (fresh mulled)
64% Water
3% olive oil
4% salt
0.8% Fresh yeast

24 hr cold bulk ferment, divide and ball, CF until needed or leave out 4 hrs at RT if using that day.  Bake at 550F deck temp for 5 mins.  I used Bianco crushed, grande mozz, oregano, parm, olive oil.

Dough weight is 775g for a 19Ē pie post bake.   

Hope this helps! 

Marlon

Given the pandemic, canít get my hands on fresh milled whole wheat, would regular all purpose whole wheat work??

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2020, 10:41:46 PM »
@10%.... It's not gonna matter mater.    ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline nbodden329

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2020, 11:02:35 PM »
I played around with a Scarr’s style dough a few weeks ago as I wanted to do a side by side with my current/preferred dough formula and I think it came out pretty close.  Here is the formula/workflow I used if it would help you out. 

90% Bread flour (I used Central Milling/Power flour even mix)
10% Whole wheat (fresh mulled)
64% Water
3% olive oil
4% salt
0.8% Fresh yeast

24 hr cold bulk ferment, divide and ball, CF until needed or leave out 4 hrs at RT if using that day.  Bake at 550F deck temp for 5 mins.  I used Bianco crushed, grande mozz, oregano, parm, olive oil.

Dough weight is 775g for a 19” pie post bake.   

Hope this helps! 

Marlon

Tried this dough the other day, worked out really well! In my opinion dough was the best on day 3. Thanks for sharing!

Offline mikeshole

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2020, 07:33:01 AM »
If we can go hotter, say 600, 650, 700 or 750 for a shorter cook then should we? Or is the recipe designed for 500-550? I've never made pizza before and wanted to try this out as my first one.

Offline JTreehorn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2020, 02:30:01 PM »
Tried Bakeshack's formula this past weekend after falling in love with Scarrs on an NYC visit this past Dec.  I cooked one off after 48hr and loved it, then another one last night at 72 hours and the dough flavor tasted even more balanced.  Baked at 500F on baking steel for about 6 min.

Offline ak47e6

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2020, 10:16:33 PM »
So thought Iíd give this a go and this may be way off but was kind of fun so here goes. 

Videos posted from Bon Appetit and Eater on your tube.

Let me know if you think this is close based on what was in those videos and what adjustments you would make

Assumptions
60quart Hobart??
Oil, salt and yeast in a 32oz soup container.

Water: Looks like in the Bon Appetit video the water is about 25% of the 60qrt bowl or 15 qrts x 946g/quart is ~14000g

Flour. Didnít see how many tubs they added so assumed they use 50# of flour or 22650g. Bon Appetit he says he does a 50/50 blend of high and low protein and then adds some of his flour that he grinds in house.

Salt. Itís about 75% full in a 32oz container. 32 oz is about 64 tablespoons and there are 17g of salt in one tablespoon 64 x 17g x .75 =816

Oil. Again 75% full 32oz container at 64 tablespoons and 13g per tablespoon is 64 x 13 x .75 =624

Yeast was kind of tough as he was holding at an angle.  His 3rd finger comes about 2 inches above The bottom of the 5.5 inch container which is about the level of the yeast. Estimated between 1/2 and 1 cup. Looks like 149g of fresh yeast per cup ( not sure if thatís packed or not just a guess)

Flour 22650g (50/50 high/low protein )
Water 14000g (61.8%)
Fresh Yeast 75g to 150g (.32% to .64%)
Salt 815g (3.6%)
Oil 624g (2.8%)

In the Eater video he says he combines the yeast and water and allows it to sit to dissolve for several hours.

He then adds flour and mixes until it forms a dough, In the Bon Appetit video he adjusts the water qty and looks like he lets it sit for a while prior to adding salt.

Once it sits he starts mixing again and adds the salt and oil.

In the Eater video he says he does a bulk ferment of 4 to 5 hours prior to balling.

Balls are 775g from the Bon Appetit video.

He then says they do a 2 to 3 day CF from the Eater Video.

After CF he says they do 2 to 3 hours room temp prior to use from the Eater video but in the Bon Appetit video he says they ďpull them out and allow them to rise all day on the day of useĒ.

Thoughts?

Offline Chi_Guy

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2020, 09:17:46 AM »

In the Eater video he says he combines the yeast and water and allows it to sit to dissolve for several hours.

Maybe I misheard but I thought he said they let it sit for a couple of hours, not several.  What would be the benefit of it? How long does the CY survive suspended in water like that?

He then says they do a 2 to 3 day CF from the Eater Video.

After CF he says they do 2 to 3 hours room temp prior to use from the Eater video but in the Bon Appetit video he says they ďpull them out and allow them to rise all day on the day of useĒ.

Thoughts?

He also mentions that after mixing, they let it ferment for 4-5 hours at RT before balling.

Offline ak47e6

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2020, 09:31:01 AM »
Correct on both. Couple hours to let the yeast dissolve ( no clue why he would do that either. Have never seen that).

Then 4 to 5 hour RT ferment prior to balling

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »
I have had Scarr's pizza a few times now.   I have made and eaten a LOT of pizza over the years and while I don't know his exact salt level, I really don't think it is above 3%, and it is most likely a little less than that.

Offline ak47e6

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2020, 09:46:23 AM »
Does anyone have time to do a test?  I only have coarse salt right now so donít think The weights would work as it looks like he is using fine salt. Here is a picture of the container ( looks like a standard 32oz soup container). I measured last night and the total container is 5.5 inches and from the look of the video it comes to about the 4 inch mark. If someone has time and or salt could you weigh it and let us know?  The other assumption is that he is using 50# of flour which may be way off but the best guess I could come up with given the water amount and mixer size.

Offline RHawthorne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2020, 11:11:25 AM »
I have had Scarr's pizza a few times now.   I have made and eaten a LOT of pizza over the years and while I don't know his exact salt level, I really don't think it is above 3%, and it is most likely a little less than that.

I doubt that anybody's pizza dough goes much above 3%, or at least not in the professional pizza world. The 2%(ish) standard exists for a reason, right? That rough percentage is what has proven effective through the ages, and if you go much beyond that and you're not achieving any noticeable benefit, what's the point? Plus, it's a waste of money to use ingredients excessively, which is something any business owner is going to monitor closely.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline ak47e6

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2020, 11:35:41 AM »
I know that Neapolitan pizza uses around 2.9%. Salt has other effects other then taste as it strengthens the gluten network and also helps control fermentation. Looking at his video with the known variable of a 75% full 32oz soup container should allow us to work backwards to determine the weight of salt he uses. The only unknown is the qty of flour to base the ratio off of.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2020, 11:43:05 AM »
Obviously Kosher vs fine make a big difference in volumetric measurement.   Even different brands of Kosher salt take up different amounts of space for the same weight.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2020, 08:04:05 AM »
The humidity of the salt itself will also throw off weight measurements! :D
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline ak47e6

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2020, 01:17:28 PM »
So I did a test with Coarse Kosher and tried to get it to about the level he has in the video using the same container he used and it came to 839g. If someone has the same container and has some fine salt perhaps we could get a range. If he was using 50# of flour and Coarse Kosher salt he would be in the 3.7% range. Obviously there would be differences based on humidity and salt type but we could at least define a potential range.

wordpress