A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tri tip marinade......has anybody tried this?  (Read 903 times)

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
Re: Tri tip marinade......has anybody tried this?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 11:35:53 PM »
Measurements seem kind of extreme but intriguing?!?!

https://www-foodnetwork-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/6-hour-tri-tip-marinade-recipe-1944573.amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#aoh=15710191562451&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foodnetwork.com%2Frecipes%2F6-hour-tri-tip-marinade-recipe-1944573
Jon,

I've been cooking bbqing tri tip for most of my 60 year life. My dad was in the meat packing biz and I worked with him for 13 years. Tri tip is one of my favorites

With that said I think salt pepper and maybe some garlic powder is all that's needed. imo sometimes simple is best

Jerry

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 11:45:53 PM »
I agree, but seen this recipe and was struck with the measurements, 1/2c each of garlic salt and chopped garlic? Also running across black tri tip from Butcher Boy and these clones for Fred's black tri tip, intriguing, using squid ink, vegemite, coffee, tamarind........all getting rave reviews!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 08:37:32 PM »
We only have Tri Tip pre marinated at sams club. Its good, but it would be better if it was fresh. It cost $6.99/lb. Wegmans sells fresh Tri Tip for $13.99/lb, but they can stick that Tip up their Bung.

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »
I've been getting it for about 5 bucks a pound.
Jon

Offline bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 01:04:45 PM »
I picked up a few packs at Safeway managers special for $2.99 a few weeks ago. At that price, that marinade will cost almost as much as the meat :)
Bob

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 09:06:24 PM »
I’ve used Santa Maria spice rub on tri tip, delicious. We don’t see much of it here on the east coast for some reason.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 09:32:38 PM »
We only have Tri Tip pre marinated at sams club. Its good, but it would be better if it was fresh. It cost $6.99/lb. Wegmans sells fresh Tri Tip for $13.99/lb, but they can stick that Tip up their Bung.
yep, those amigos are mucho loco.... They know what their stuff actually costs and laugh all the way to the bank.... All because foolish people believe in the hype.
Food critics are just as sorry.... Mislead just so they can get their feebies.  Dumb a s.!  😩
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 05:34:38 PM »
Tri tip for tonight.   $9.99/lb in NY.  $1.50 off in the old meat section or about $6.50.

John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 08:09:43 PM »
Tri tip for tonight.   $9.99/lb in NY.  $1.50 off in the old meat section or about $6.50.

Fire 'em up!   :drool:.    That was a pretty good price. I always look way in the back and under the top packs of meat... And often find the mismarked $  packs the "butcher" hid for his buddy to come and get. BAM! Interception!!  🤯

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 08:38:46 PM »
   Fire 'em up!   :drool:.    That was a pretty good price. I always look way in the back and under the top packs of meat... And often find the mismarked $  packs the "butcher" hid for his buddy to come and get. BAM! Interception!!  🤯

Maybe tomorrow.  The boy's being a dick about his homework.  No dinner tonight.
John

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
Dont know what that is but it's not tri tip.  Maybe tri tip steaks???

Tri tip should look like this

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 10:53:23 PM »
Dont know what that is but it's not tri tip.  Maybe tri tip steaks???

Tri tip should look like this

Yeah.
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 11:05:23 PM »
If you took that last Tri-Tip steak and cross cut a couple 1 to 1.5" steaks and turned them on the side, grain facing up, those skinny strip steaks COULD be Tri-Tip!
Jon

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 11:10:28 PM »
If you took that last Tri-Tip steak and cross cut a couple 1 to 1.5" steaks and turned them on the side, grain facing up, those skinny strip steaks COULD be Tri-Tip!
That's what I thought. You never see tri tip steaks out here. Steak or roast they're the best

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »
They got tri tip roasts, steaks, medallions, tenders, strips.... Wonder what the chop suey joints over there in China Town like to call it?
Frank steak maybe??  😝

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 05:35:17 PM by Fiorot »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 03:49:16 PM »
There is a pretty unknown cut of beef called Petite Filet.  It comes from between the shoulder of the cow.  It looks exactly like a pork tenderloin but somewhat larger.  Most people have no idea of this cut.  Publix carries it but they tell me they wind up using if for the market ground beef.  It is very lean and cooks and tastes like Filet Mignon.  Quite amazing and very reasonable.  Stew Leonards carries it and when on sale it is about 5 dollars a pound.   Try it if you can find it.  The muscle is Teres Major.     https://jesspryles.com/rare-steaks-the-petite-tender/

:-D

I always buy ribeye or strip, but was gifted a bunch of this:  https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut/2501/shoulder-petite-tender

I like it.

EDIT:  I grilled one tonight.  I REALLY like it.  Lean, tender, juicy, beefy.  Words that don't usually go together.
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2019, 12:14:25 AM »
Soooo, I was intrigued by the cross-cut tri-tip strips. I have always done them whole. Cut it up, seasoned and will cook them up tomorrow. Wish mine were as marbled as the strips that John showed!!! Might sous vide them for a few hours in the Instant Pot first, we'll see......
Jon

Offline bregent

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 12:17:15 AM »
>Cut it up, seasoned and will cook them up tomorrow

So, how'd they turn out? What do you think about the marinade?
Bob