A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Breville Updates the Smart Oven™ Pizzaiolo - New Model BPZ820  (Read 27125 times)

Offline BostonBestEats

• Clearly you need more Hawaiian pizza in your life
Re: Breville Updates the Smart Oven™ Pizzaiolo - New Model BPZ820
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2020, 07:03:14 PM »
One batch of sourdough was balled and cold fermented 1 to 4 days before baking at 700°F deck/750°F dome x 2.5 - 3 min in Pizzaiolo.

Order starting in upper left:
24h 48h
72h 96h

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #281 on: August 29, 2020, 01:34:04 AM »
 I modified my 12 inch white stone to fit the pizzaiolo 820. This might be an alternative to the cracked stone issue. Since the original black stone is a little under 12 inches. I had to modify my 12 inch stone. I used a wood rasp to filed the radius of the stone till it matched the black stone. I filed till the stone sat in the recessed oven floor area and was able to spin in the opening. I then used a grinding wheel to bore out the center of the bottom to allow the safety switch the proper clearance. My stone was .65 thick and the stock stone slightly thinner soit sits up a little above the steel base. It is level and there is no wobble.
 Tested the results on a 12 hour dough made with caputo red. All pizzas baked in under 2 minutes. Bottoms got nice browning typical of Neapolitan style pizza. I think this could be a option if the stones are no longer warranted.
 Enclosed are pictures of the modification. And the 4  pizzas I tested the stone with

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #282 on: September 05, 2020, 07:27:58 PM »
Any suggestions for Breville on how to improve the next generation of this oven?

1) Bigger (bigger is better, right?)
2) Hotter (hotter is better, right?)
3) Interior light (might be challenging at these temps?)
4) More resilient stone (although there seems to be many fewer issues with the new '820 model with the round stone, there have still been some cases reported)
5) Other deck materials?  Like a baking steel...
6) Remove spring mechanism for door, which has a tendency to snap shut on your fingers while you are cleaning and serves no function
7) I'm not getting the point of the white glazed stone for ex-US, since it looks like normal wear and tear will make it look really ugly (unlike the brown stone we have)
8 ) A perforated peel

Any other ideas?

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #283 on: September 05, 2020, 07:36:30 PM »
BTW, in case people didn't see it, Larry posted Michael Thorogood's (designer of Pizzaiolo) dough recipe:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=64957.0

Offline PizzaBruce

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #284 on: September 15, 2020, 03:34:00 PM »
I am trying to replicate New Haven style pizza on my Breville pmz820 using the Reinhardt Neo Neapolitan dough recipe which is
680 g Bread flour
510 g water
14  g salt
4 g instant yeast
28 g oil
14 g honey
Overnight fermentation

I am pretty new to this and am wondering what manual settings you would use on the Breville?  I want some char on the bottom and crust with a crispy overall crust that holds it’s shape.  I have been using deck 625, top 600 and even cook and baking for about 6 minutes.  Any thoughts on deck and top settings and cooking time.  My set up is working pretty good but would welcome any comments. 

Offline tetontrees

« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2020, 12:21:06 PM »
Check out this thread on NH pizza in a breville by @pizzaguy24601 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=63518.msg626676#msg626676

his formula and method below:
Thank you so much! Here are the details. Let me know if anything confuses you.  :)

Use bread flour. You want a higher protein than all purpose or 00 but lower than high gluten flour.
69% hydration. The high hydration combined with the flour allows it to stretch really easily and stay really thin and crispy.
2.5% salt
2% oil.
I did a 12 hour poolish using .4% active dry yeast.
Mix the dough in a regular stand mixer. I usually use a spiral mixer. But I wanted the texture that I get from a stand mixer instead.
20 minute bench rest, 48 hour cold ferment. 90 minutes to reach room temperature.
Dust heavily with bread flour and just pat it out. You don't need fancy stretching, don't bother trying to get it a perfect circle. It's just not needed. Watch some videos of the people at Frank Pepe's making it. Once it's patted out to almost full size, pick it up and transfer to the peel. It'll stretch more when you pick it up. Top with sauce made from Italian tomatoes, low moisture mozzarella, bake at 600 F for about 8 minutes.

I am trying to replicate New Haven style pizza on my Breville pmz820 using the Reinhardt Neo Neapolitan dough recipe which is
680 g Bread flour
510 g water
14  g salt
4 g instant yeast
28 g oil
14 g honey
Overnight fermentation

I am pretty new to this and am wondering what manual settings you would use on the Breville?  I want some char on the bottom and crust with a crispy overall crust that holds it’s shape.  I have been using deck 625, top 600 and even cook and baking for about 6 minutes.  Any thoughts on deck and top settings and cooking time.  My set up is working pretty good but would welcome any comments.
Anson
PP Passione

Offline tetontrees

« Reply #286 on: October 06, 2020, 12:46:40 PM »
Any suggestions for Breville on how to improve the next generation of this oven?

1) Bigger (bigger is better, right?)
2) Hotter (hotter is better, right?)
3) Interior light (might be challenging at these temps?)
4) More resilient stone (although there seems to be many fewer issues with the new '820 model with the round stone, there have still been some cases reported)
5) Other deck materials?  Like a baking steel...
6) Remove spring mechanism for door, which has a tendency to snap shut on your fingers while you are cleaning and serves no function
7) I'm not getting the point of the white glazed stone for ex-US, since it looks like normal wear and tear will make it look really ugly (unlike the brown stone we have)
8 ) A perforated peel

Any other ideas?

Bigger would be nice for larger pizzas, but this thing is already pretty huge as far as toasters go. ;D

Quieter fans. Finally pulled the trigger and have been enjoying the results, but am amazed by how loud the fans are and they run pretty much the whole time the oven is on.

Stone issues: Still adapting to this stone. Having some sticking issues using Caputo Semola as my dusting flour. Never had any issue in my Pizza Party with the Saputo or Cordierite Kiln stones with the Semola. And turning the oven to max temp doesn't quite do the job to burn off the residue. Have to scrub with BKF (Bar Keepers Friend) after every bake. Gonna look for other dusting options.

Peel: Roccbox peel is far superior IMHO. The Breville one is a little flimsy with too much flex. Works just okay but would prefer a GI metal or similar upgrade. Looks like the smallest GI metal peel are 13" unless you go to round turning peels which are much smaller. Maybe I am overloading my pies which leads to my next point.

Venting: On the last Breville event Grant Crilly from ChefSteps made some excellent points about how its all about removing water from the pizza (and cooking chamber) as it bakes. I am amazed at how little steam actually escapes during a bake. When I open the door mid-bake the area between the oven and the door is soaked with condensation. Guess I could just open the door a few times to vent the steam, but an operable vent could be beneficial. Water content and amounts of toppings also seems to make a big difference.
Anson
PP Passione

Offline hnashif

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #287 on: October 06, 2020, 03:28:14 PM »
Bigger would be nice for larger pizzas, but this thing is already pretty huge as far as toasters go. ;D

Venting: On the last Breville event Grant Crilly from ChefSteps made some excellent points about how its all about removing water from the pizza (and cooking chamber) as it bakes. I am amazed at how little steam actually escapes during a bake. When I open the door mid-bake the area between the oven and the door is soaked with condensation. Guess I could just open the door a few times to vent the steam, but an operable vent could be beneficial. Water content and amounts of toppings also seems to make a big difference.

Keep in mind that venting, as well as opening the door, will reduce the temperature.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2020, 03:34:49 PM »
Water vapor is invisible. Condensed water vapor is what you see escaping the oven and is a function of ambient conditions.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #289 on: October 19, 2020, 02:06:26 PM »

1) Bigger (bigger is better, right?

Don’t change anything.
When I studied woodworking at an art school. the saying was, if you can’t make it good, then make it big.

They made it very well.

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
  • Love the wood fired oven
    • Roberts Machinery
« Reply #290 on: October 19, 2020, 03:15:38 PM »
if they tried to make it bigger they would need more power.  That would mean a 220 volt plug

on 110v it already takes about 20 minutes to warm up.  A significant increase in size and staying on
110V would mean something like an hour warm up
Brent

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #291 on: October 19, 2020, 06:45:38 PM »
It would be helpful to have more heat for Neapolitan type pizza.increase top broiler by decreasing the bottom broiler. let the top broiler be more responsible for floor heat. this is only good for Neapolitan. other pizzas in this oven seem to lack enough Bottom heat as is.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #292 on: October 21, 2020, 01:18:28 AM »
 Tested the floor I got from http://www.fiesoliarte.com/en tonight. Placed it on top of my stock stone . Floor hit 800 degrees and the pizza baked in a little under 2 minutes. Got a nice Neapolitan bottom bake

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #293 on: October 21, 2020, 01:25:53 AM »
I also tried Detroit in the oven pitched up two 11 by 7 inch cake pans from amazon used a French bread dough. KA A/P flour @ 70 percent hydration. Using member Hans bolts recommendation of 3.5 grams per square inch. It came out to about 9.5 ounces. Sorry no side or bottom pictures but the bake was even top and bottom. I used the pan setting but bake time was only 12 minutes.

Offline CanuckNeapoLover

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #294 on: January 02, 2021, 05:48:08 PM »
This is my very first post after reading all 2,100+ posts on the other Pizzaiolo thread. I will be posting there about my experiences later with this, my most loved kitchen appliance.

I have had the first model, the BPZ800BSSUSC, since June 2019. My amazing chef friend in Sydney, Australia, the home of Breville and where I used to live for a while, is finally interested in purchasing one as a result of me crowing incessantly for the last 18 months about how great it is.

He just sent me the pictures below of the BPZ820BSS that he took in a Sydney shop called Bing Lee. The first thing I noticed is that there are vents running along the top above the window. I have not seen these vents on any vendor website, including Breville Australia https://www.breville.com/au/en/products/ovens/bpz820.html, on Bing Lee's, https://www.binglee.com.au/breville-the-smart-oven-pizzaiolo-bpz820bss or on these forums. A google image search for the Pizzaiolo does not show these vents on any image.

Does anyone know if these vents are now only on the 230V ovens, which is the standard voltage in Australia?  If so then given the 230V model reaches the same temperature as the 120V model then I am curious why the latter does not also have these vents? Perhaps it is a relatively new design change? If so, why were they added, will they be added to the 120V model and why are the vents not shown on any commercial pictures of the oven?

Perhaps Mthorogood, who I understand is the industrial designer of this amazing oven, can chime in to explain why the difference. I note he has been absolutely wonderful about answering queries on here.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 08:19:19 PM by CanuckNeapoLover »

Offline BostonBestEats

« Reply #295 on: January 03, 2021, 01:23:07 PM »
He just sent me the pictures below of the BPZ820BSS that he took in a Sydney shop called Bing Lee. The first thing I noticed is that there are vents running along the top above the window. I have not seen these vents on any vendor website, including Breville Australia

Does anyone know if these vents are now only on the 230V ovens, which is the standard voltage in Australia?  If so then given the 230V model reaches the same temperature as the 120V model then I am curious why the latter does not also have these vents? Perhaps it is a relatively new design change? If so, why were they added, will they be added to the 120V model and why are the vents not shown on any commercial pictures of the oven?

First time I've seen a picture with vents.  It also has the white stone, which we've been told is used outside the US (but apparently makes no difference), but curiously it seems to have a circular groove on it, which I haven't seen before either.

Offline MThorogood

• I love pizza!
    • Smart Oven Pizzaiolo
« Reply #296 on: January 05, 2021, 11:03:09 PM »

Hi there CanuckNeapoLover and all,

Very happy to hear you got yourself an oven, I really hope you enjoy it and it works well for you!
And yes, the vents you've pointed out behind the handle are on all 230/240V versions of the product but not found on the 110/120V version.

Most components used in the ovens are the same the world-over but there are a few that have slight modifications.
Each region has slightly different safety/compliance requirements that products must meet before being allowed to sell into that area. As a result, depending on the region, there might be some components that are tweaked specifically for that region. This applies to all products.
In this case, the door front panel was updated for 230/240V regions to include these vents which help further cool the metal surface in this area.

If you're interested too, the dials are slightly different between the models also - see if you can pick it :)

Cheers and good luck with it!

Offline CanuckNeapoLover

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #297 on: January 06, 2021, 12:13:53 AM »
Yes I see that on the right dial it says THICK CRUST instead of NEW YORK and the temperatures are in Celsius not Fahreneit. Imperial only makes sense for the USA which insists on not switching to metric. 

I don't see any difference with the other two dials. Am I missing something?

Someone also pointed out above that the pizza stone has a circular groove just inside the circumference. Why is that?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:19:35 AM by CanuckNeapoLover »

Offline sinner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #298 on: January 16, 2021, 08:05:51 AM »
Hi all,
I just received my BPZ820 (which is labeled SAGE not Breville here in Germany).
Wanted to inform you that they switched stones again, mine is not the black (ceramic?) one, but Cordierite. Still the same round size though and also not very thick. Hope this is more stable then the black one!

Offline CanuckNeapoLover

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2021, 10:03:26 AM »
As reported by Breville, some markets have black stones and some light coloured. I have the previous model with the black stone and have baked well over 100 pizzas in it with it not cracking. Luck of the draw it seems. 

wordpress