A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ooni 3 wood pellet storage  (Read 444 times)

Offline tag1260

• I Love Pizza!
Ooni 3 wood pellet storage
« on: March 02, 2020, 05:50:37 PM »
Just got an Ooni 3 and was wondering if when I here about wet pellets, do they mean actually soaked or just absorbed from humidity?  I know they basically fall apart when really wet.  Can I store near my oven outside in a lidded garbage can or does it need to be airtight?
 Thanks

Offline champignon

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Ooni 3 wood pellet storage
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 11:36:13 AM »
Just got an Ooni 3 and was wondering if when I here about wet pellets, do they mean actually soaked or just absorbed from humidity?  I know they basically fall apart when really wet.  Can I store near my oven outside in a lidded garbage can or does it need to be airtight?
 Thanks

Not specifically addressing your oven, with which I have no personal experience.

Wet pellets are a particular problem with pellet stoves, such as those made by Traeger, which have an impeller.  If the pellets are wet, not only do they disintegrate but they can seriously gum up the delivery mechanism of moving pellets to the burning chamber.  I've not experienced this with my smoker, but I can imagine it would make a real mess.

If the pellets are going to be in a receptacle with no delivery system (other than you) the issue would be whether they are so wet that they won't burn.  I doubt that even in places with 99% relative humidity, in the tropics, that there is a problem burning pellets.  No one is going to store their oven in a humidity-free zone.

Offline joyce_h

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Ooni 3 wood pellet storage
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 05:23:30 AM »
 Thanks

Can't say anything that would be relevant exclusively to Ooni, still have a piece of advice for you as a person who uses pellet grills/smokers. If they're not completely wet, I heard that folks talk of drying them in a microwave before use but haven't tried it personally.
You probably shouldn't store them outside (if that's possible, as I have a friend who traveled in his RV with pellet cooker and keeping pellets dry was the trickiest part of his adventure), patio or a dry garage would be muuuch more suitable. No need for expensive branded containers: buy plastic 5 gal buckets with lids. They'll hold about 25 lbs of pellets and will work just fine. That's how I store mine.

If the pellets are wet, not only do they disintegrate but they can seriously gum up the delivery mechanism of moving pellets to the burning chamber.
This happened to me once. I didn't realize that the batch got wet inside the smoker and solidified around the auger. I was able to get to it and break up the mass before it was too late, but it did ruin a cook. So be careful.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T