A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Decaf  (Read 684 times)

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Decaf
« on: October 22, 2019, 09:08:25 AM »
My wife picked up some Jim's Together Decaf.  I made a cup yesterday and thought it was ok for a decaf.  I'm drinking a cup now immediately following a cup of real coffee and I'm left wanting.

Any recommendations for whole bean decaf?
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Decaf
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »
What is decaf? I thought that was when you give a cow an abortion?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »
Huh? I always thought it was how one referenced a baby cow, "decow" and decaf were standing out in depasture"  :-D
How to make decaffinated coffee taste better: put some type of flavoring into it......like Baileys Irish Cream.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 02:47:09 PM »
I can't drink coffee after about noon otherwise I can't sleep properly and after trying countless decafs I've decided to stick to the good stuff in the morning and just drink vastly superior tea from lunchtime onwards. ;D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 04:05:48 PM »
Modern wisdom.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline Pazzo

• Supporting Member
  • L’appetito vien mangiando
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 07:01:03 PM »
I'd try to find a local roaster. If you can't, I like Whole Foods Decaf Bel Canto Espresso roast.
"I would never win an award for not loving pizza!" -Dwayne Johnson

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 09:39:22 PM »
Made my day and got a good laugh from the thread.  :-D  :-D  :-D
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 12:42:39 AM »
Been thinking about going back to a good ole hot cup O Joe in the morning....
Since loosing the 100lbs and walking 8 miles a day I switched to poweraide zero with Tru orange packets added to it on ice for my eye opener...2 of those and then big tall Monster white can... Then I'm off to the races for the day... All that takes an hour or so while I am answer texts an be e mail... Getting boring feeling like I'm wasting time... I'm going to try coffee again... Thanks for this thread.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 01:52:38 AM »
Tom

Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 09:06:34 AM »
Funny stuff here. Dudes: when quality decaf bean is roasted right, it's actually passable as good coffee.  Therein lies the problem, it's very difficult to get a proper roast because the bean is damaged considerable in the decaffeination process.  Source: I used to roast coffee as a past hobby and tried on occasion to roast decaf.  If you are not careful it can "take off" in the roast and go from under developed to charbucks "bold" (i.e. burnt) very quickly, with an extremely small window for proper development.  They need a relatively gentle roast.

Look for swiss water process, and stick to denser beans like those from ethiopia or kenya.  If the roaster is part of the "third wave" movement, be prepared for some puckeringly sour coffee, unless the roaster knows what proper development is. 

Or just go with tea as suggested earlier in this thread.  You can easily mostly-decaffeinate tea just by brewing for 30s, toss the brew water, and brew a second time.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:08:17 AM by ButteredPizza »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 10:50:10 PM »
 I may lose a lot of friends here. I have never liked coffee. Yeah it is a great stimulant to get ya going. It does have some good health benefits. I just don't like feeling wired all day. It's one of those acquired tastes.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 11:41:45 PM »
I may lose a lot of friends here. I have never liked coffee. Yeah it is a great stimulant to get ya going. It does have some good health benefits. I just don't like feeling wired all day. It's one of those acquired tastes.
You are not going to lose any friends who were really friends with that, Nick. It’s not as if you said “...and anyone who disagrees is out of their head or evil, one of the other.’ I used to drink a whole lot of coffee. Other than water to take meds and a small glass of water with dinner I would sometimes go a week with coffee as the only liquid I ingested. Never decaf.

It came to a head with my doctor around the time (2003) I quit smoking (3 packs a day when I quit/27 1/2 years) when he asked me about how much coffee I was drinking. We got along well and I tried to stall with “do you mean cups or ounces or what?” He said, impatiently, “just a ballpark figure.” I told him I drink 2 pots in the morning, usually a cup at lunch, 3-4 12 oz-ers in the afternoon, a short pot after dinner and a cup before bed. He about hit the floor but he said very calmly “we may have to address that.”  :-D   I went without for about 9 weeks last spring before during and following my stem cell transplant. I couldn’t stand the taste of it at all. I now drink one mug in the mornings. I find myself getting interested in a half cup after dinner but have stayed away from it. I have enough going on without voluntarily complicating things.
-Tony

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 06:56:01 AM »
I just don't like feeling wired all day.

Switch over to whisky at noon and it all balances out  :-D

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 10:40:47 AM »
 I will admit I drank something way worse than coffee when I was in my 20's. I would drink a liter or so a day of Mountain Dew. Talk about being buzzed! These days I am lucky if I have one soft drink a week. Don't miss it in the least.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 04:05:00 PM »
Willie tokes a Jay will while drinking his morning Joe.  :D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
  • Happiness is a perfectly baked Neapolitan pie
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 06:57:07 PM »
foreplease, that is a lot of coffee!

I will share an excessive coffee drinking experience with you.  A few years ago I started drinking it, but was clueless how to make it, so I ended up brewing a ridiculously strong coffee which I put in a thermos and took to a cycling race.  I drank the whole thing right before the race and did well.  However, driving home I started to feel quite ill and my body temperature soared.  I spent the rest of the day in bed wondering if I had the flu.  Turns out I ended up drinking the equivalent of 10 cups of coffee for someone not used to caffeine, so I was suffering from caffeine poisoning. 

I ended up learning how to make coffee correctly!   ;D ;D ;D
Sunjoy Killington (aka Member's Mark) WFO
Pizza Party Ardore (propane with Saputo)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 08:04:47 PM »
foreplease, that is a lot of coffee!

I will share an excessive coffee drinking experience with you.  A few years ago I started drinking it, but was clueless how to make it, so I ended up brewing a ridiculously strong coffee which I put in a thermos and took to a cycling race.  I drank the whole thing right before the race and did well.  However, driving home I started to feel quite ill and my body temperature soared.  I spent the rest of the day in bed wondering if I had the flu.  Turns out I ended up drinking the equivalent of 10 cups of coffee for someone not used to caffeine, so I was suffering from caffeine poisoning. 

I ended up learning how to make coffee correctly!   ;D ;D ;D

Wow! What a story. Seems we are both learned a couple things and are doing better than we once were.  ;D
-Tony

Offline joyce_h

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 09:30:27 PM »
As missus have some health issues (so she can't drink normal coffee for now), I'll join the conversation.
I highly suggest sugar cane processed decaf over water processed. The flavor is much better. I believe it is usually, if not always, Colombian.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 04:48:51 PM »
Modern wisdom.

Man, i would love to see your response to a decaf chili w/decaf beans thread.

Offline GumbaWill

• Many paths lead to the same destination
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 09:09:20 PM »
Switch over to whisky at noon and it all balances out  :-D

I second that emotion! 12:00 P.M. / Noon = Scotch thirty