A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sbarro Closes NYC Times Square Location  (Read 327 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Sbarro Closes NYC Times Square Location
« on: October 23, 2019, 07:17:59 PM »
Sbarro has closed its famous NYC Times Square location, allegedly because of the landlordís demand for a higher rent.

https://thetakeout.com/sbarro-times-square-closing-rent-new-york-city-1839261011

Peter

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Sbarro Closes NYC Times Square Location
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 10:04:35 PM »
Maybe a pizza place will move in.
-Tony

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 10:15:18 PM »
Maybe a pizza place will move in.
Good one

Offline Zing

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 12:38:07 AM »
Something about this story is fishy. Sounds like a publicist planted a story in the local foodie press. Maybe they just wanted to get Sbarro's name before the public, like those emails I get every day or two from Sears, wanting me to think about them. Maybe Sbarro is putting the word out to the real estate community that they are looking to lease.

I don't know of anybody who thinks that branch of Sbarro's was famous or iconic, except possibly the management of Sbarro's. They did move in there in 1996, before Guiliani finished cleaning up Times Square with the resulting skyrocketing of rents. Now Rudy is cleaning up after The Donald.

I think Ben Yakis was correct in putting on his hip boots when writing the following article with a jaundiced eye:
https://gothamist.com/food/shed-authentic-cheesy-tear-giant-sbarros-times-square-has-closed
The comments are also worth reading.

My guess is that the landlord wanted Sbarro out, period. A couple years ago, the landlord leased other parts of the building to the Grand Ole Opry. The complex they put in there lasted less than a year:
https://www.soundslikenashville.com/news/opry-city-stage-closed/
The landlord can now offer the whole ground floor to a new client. Something that will fleece the tourists to NYC.

This is more of a real estate story than a pizza story.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 01:26:50 AM »
Sbarro jus needs to fade away... They know that...

The Don should buy 'em and do his magic bankruptcy thang. 😆
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Stichus III

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 09:50:20 AM »

This is somewhat old news.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed that it had closed and it appeared to have been closed for a while already.

I don't know if it was famous, but I certainly knew the place. I had eaten there during my first NYC trip a long while ago, as it was right around the corner from my hotel. So it did evoke feelings of nostalgia when I saw that it had closed. That being said, even back then, I remember that I was not impressed by their pizza.