A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: First attempt at New Haven-style pizza in home oven  (Read 1732 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: First attempt at New Haven-style pizza in home oven
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2020, 06:51:38 AM »

I just acquired a block of commercial Polly-O from Restaurant Depot, so that will be perfect.

Awesome,  I've been wanting to try that for a long time. Interested to see what you think.

Matt

Offline nickyr

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 11:45:55 PM »
This turned out very well!

The Ooni Pro was great. I was using mostly charcoal with just a tiny bit of wood because I'm down to my last scraps. The first bake had a stone temp a bit over 750 and baked about 9-10 minutes. The second was closer to 650 and baked 13-15 minutes. Both were very good, but we preferred the crispier bottom on the first.

Put 8 oz of the commercial polly-o on each. It was very tasty. Not used to making pizzas this brown, so it's a bit hard to compare. Topped with some pecorino romano and olive oil.

I didn't have room in my freezer to open up the huge can of Alta Cucina, so I used some Italbrand I had around. I discarded the puree. Pretty good, but not amazing. Added a couple tablespoons of olive oil and 2-3 cloves of garlic and some salt, oregano, red wine vinegar, and cayenne. Didn't have any basil. The sauce should have been thicker. Videos of Pepe's definitely show a thicker sauce and we wanted more sauce flavor to come through as well. Next time I would squeeze the juices out of the tomatoes.

I did a 32 hour cold ferment with the following formula (for two 14 inch pizzas):
Power Flour - 100% - 400g
Salt - 2.5% - 10g
Yeast - 0.224% - 0.9g
Water - 62% - 248g
I wouldn't change anything about that formula. Thank you all so much for the tips constructing it--it ended up with that nice dry crispiness of the New Haven pizzerias.

The second is topped with kalamata olives and onions. We preferred the plain.

I accidentally set the first one on fire and had to blow it out!

All in all, I'm very pleased. Thanks again for all the tips!

Offline woodfiredgreg

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 08:03:19 AM »
I'm not sure I know what that means, but my inlaws were at the pizzeria in Mohegan Sun and picked up a couple cans. Below is the code. Not sure what I'm going to do with them, dont have any interest in putting them on the pies I currently make.
Hi fellow pizza maker
Iíve been using the Pepe tomatoes on my pies for a couple seasons. Taste good. I drain excess liquid add about 1t salt per can and squish up by hand or immersion blender.
I havenít done a side by side with the Cento San Marzano DOP that were my go to. I need to do that.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 10:12:23 AM »
Woodfiredgreg, thats great that you have the actual Pepes tomatoes!   That sounds like a great plan.  If your trying to get the exact Pepes sauce I think its probably best not to drain the liquid from the can and just use the whole thing, but I see why you would drain.  They do have a coal oven which is very drying.

nickyr
Sorry I missed your post a while ago.  That really looks a lot like a well done pie from Pepes!  Im glad that crust formula is working.   

Offline nickyr

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 12:23:33 PM »
Woodfiredgreg, thats great that you have the actual Pepes tomatoes!   That sounds like a great plan.  If your trying to get the exact Pepes sauce I think its probably best not to drain the liquid from the can and just use the whole thing, but I see why you would drain.  They do have a coal oven which is very drying.

nickyr
Sorry I missed your post a while ago.  That really looks a lot like a well done pie from Pepes!  Im glad that crust formula is working.
Thanks Scott! Really appreciate the help.

Yeah I would definitely drain the tomatoes assuming you donít have a coal oven...the sauce seemed much to thin when I made it. Seems like Scott just explained why!

Offline tetontrees

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2020, 12:50:49 PM »
This turned out very well!
Awesome! Nice work.  :chef:
Anson
PP Passione

Offline nickyr

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2020, 01:27:12 AM »