A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Poolish; I have no idea what I知 doing  (Read 668 times)

Offline DoReiMe

• I Love Pizza!
Poolish; I have no idea what I知 doing
« on: October 25, 2019, 05:04:40 PM »
Hey guys, so I知 trying to make a polish. 170g of flour 170g of water and 0.50g of fresh yeast over 12 hours. About 5 hours have passed and my poolish doesn稚 look to have risen at all or made much of a gluten network. I知 not sure what to expect. Can someone help me out?

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Re: Poolish; I have no idea what I知 doing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »
Hey guys, so I知 trying to make a polish. 170g of flour 170g of water and 0.50g of fresh yeast over 12 hours. About 5 hours have passed and my poolish doesn稚 look to have risen at all or made much of a gluten network. I知 not sure what to expect. Can someone help me out?

I use instant yeast, but I'd give it some more time.  I assume you are at room temp.  I think it may be ok.
Jeff

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 05:54:21 PM »
DoReiMe,

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that you have not let the poolish pre-ferment long enough to see bubbling. Also, you did not indicate the temperature of the water you used or the temperature at which the poolish is to pre-ferment. It's likely that a longer pre-ferment time may yield more bubbles, as Jeff noted.

For background purposes, these are two good articles on preferments by Didier Rosada, an acknowledged expert on dough, including preferments like poolish:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040814193817/cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food3_apr2004.htm, and 

http://web.archive.org/web/20050829015510/www.cafemeetingplace.com/archives/food4_dec2004.htm.

In your case, you should look at Chart A for a poolish and the related instructions as set forth in the first article cited above.

Unfortunately, the articles do not show what the poolish should look like at various stages. That is because the original articles, which included photos, are no longer available. What I cited comes from the Wayback Machine. But if you follow the "rules" for poolish, including the amount to use in your recipe, you should be in good shape.

Peter

Offline G Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 09:21:01 AM »
I made a poolish over night this past Saturday night for baking bread on Sunday. At 9:45 pm I mixed 250 grams of AP flour and 250 grams of 75ーF water along with .4 grams of yeast for the poolish.
When I make a poolish I let it sit out overnight in the basement. The poolish temp was 68.5ーF right after mixing it.
I cover the bowl with saran wrap and put a towel over it so it gets no drafts while sitting overnight.
In the morning, at 7:00am I noticed it was slightly overdone which really isn't an issue, at least that I've noticed. 
I then proceeded to make a dough using the poolish.
Hope this helps.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T