A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cilantro  (Read 465 times)

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Cilantro
« on: October 31, 2019, 05:57:13 PM »
People that don't like cilantro say it tastes like soap. I think it tastes like soap and I love it.  Does anyone else
who thinks it tastes like soap like cilantro ?
John

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Cilantro
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 06:08:40 PM »
I've heard that too. I dont think it tastes like soap and I like it, but don't go out of my way for cilantro, if that makes.

You're not alone. Listened to  Ruhlman's podcast on Water today and chef Jean Georges Vongeritchen said the same thing as you, tastes like soap but likes it.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 07:27:32 PM »
I think it tastes like soap and I love it. 

Me too...
Hans

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 08:54:03 PM »
I used to hate it, till my first trip to MX and finding ceviche! It was love at first bite, couldn't get enough of the stuff!!! It still tastes a bit soapy to me but that's okay!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 09:09:49 PM »
I like it, but I also don't remember having eaten soap... so there's that.  ;D
Tom

Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 09:46:44 PM »
I'd say I can understand why people think it tastes like soap...and I really like it.

Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 10:55:20 PM »
I like it, but I also don't remember having eaten soap... so there's that.  ;D

I had a coworker prank me with Lemon Joy in a Hostess Lemon Pie.  Ran to the bathroom and puked.  Cilantro is way better.
John

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 11:36:47 PM »
I had a coworker prank me with Lemon Joy in a Hostess Lemon Pie.  Ran to the bathroom and puked.  Cilantro is way better.
I would not have handled that very well.
-Tony

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 12:30:21 AM »
I would not have handled that very well.

^^^ That would have been a resounding punch in the face at least!!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 02:19:21 AM »
^^^ That would have been a resounding punch in the face at least!!!!

No.  Good guy.  600+ carrier landings in Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq.  XO of a Naval airstation. He could eat a dozen donuts and drink a six pack in 10 minutes.  Had to drive his POS AMC Eagle home after too many 'shrooms at a concert. Worst car ever.  'Shrooms didn't help.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 02:33:52 AM by jkb »
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 02:35:06 AM »
No.  Good guy.  600+ carrier landings in Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq.  XO of a Naval airstation. He could eat a dozen donuts and drink a dozen donuts in 10 minutes.  Had to drive his POS AMC Eagle home after too many 'shrooms at a concert. Worst car ever.  'Shrooms didn't help.
Eagle right up there with Pinto's and Gremlin's! Shrooms help most everything else though, but maybe not driving, but I bet you grinned all the way!!!😁
Jon

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 04:14:46 AM »
Eagle right up there with Pinto's and Gremlin's! Shrooms help most everything else though, but maybe not driving, but I bet you grinned all the way!!!😁

I was seeing the same shut as him.  No grinning in an Eagle.  He couldn't deal with imaginary things jumping out in front of him.  I would expect better of a Navy Captain :-D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 04:21:09 AM by jkb »
John

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 04:09:34 PM »
 I like cilantro. A good friend hates it because it tastes like soap to her. I have read in the past it's because of someone's genetic makeup. This article talks about the reason.

https://www.britannica.com/story/why-does-cilantro-taste-like-soap-to-some-people