A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: January 2020 Monthly Challenge: An unusual topping combination that you like  (Read 1487 times)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
When the month started, I had every intention of making a pizza for this challenge. Unfortunately, there was never any pizza made. Never even got to the place I wanted to stop by to shop for  toppings. I was flirting with the idea of making some pizza this weekend but I' don't think it will happen. I do enjoy thinking about these challenges and I'll try to be back next month. Please keep the challenges coming!
Thatís kind of where Iím at. Iíve had many distractions between Christmas and now whereas this forum is often an interesting and fun distraction for me. I like thinking about the challenges posted and enjoy seeing what people come up with. I hope to have an idea or two as well as the time and motivation to put up something for February. This topic has been nicely revived IMO.
-Tony

Offline Satyen

• I Love Pizza!
Chargrilled octopus, Nduja, smoked provola, creamy garlic sauce, aragula and cherrywood smoke.
(After plating the pizza is topped with cherrywood smoke and covered with a cake dome for 30 seconds)

Ps was too dark so pics didnt come out well

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
I'm going to cheat, this was baked on February the first, but the topping is quite unusual..

The vegetable is Salsola soda, in Italian it's called agretti or barba di frate, and in English opposite-leaved saltwort.  In the past it used to be harvested, burnt and then the ashes were used in glass manufacturing as it's high in sodium carbonate.  Nowadays it's a delicacy and available for a short time in the spring. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsola_soda

I prepared the agretti by frying some garlic and anchovy fillets in EVO, then adding the agretti and letting them steam for a few minutes.

The pizza was baked with only a water/EVO emulsion and fior di latte.  Post bake it was topped with the agretti, half a chopped hardboiled egg, some fior di sale, and a little more EVO.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline nickyr

• Supporting Member
I'm going to cheat, this was baked on February the first, but the topping is quite unusual..

The vegetable is Salsola soda, in Italian it's called agretti or barba di frate, and in English opposite-leaved saltwort.  In the past it used to be harvested, burnt and then the ashes were used in glass manufacturing as it's high in sodium carbonate.  Nowadays it's a delicacy and available for a short time in the spring. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsola_soda

I prepared the agretti by frying some garlic and anchovy fillets in EVO, then adding the agretti and letting them steam for a few minutes.

The pizza was baked with only a water/EVO emulsion and fior di latte.  Post bake it was topped with the agretti, half a chopped hardboiled egg, some fior di sale, and a little more EVO.

Whoa what a fun plant! Iím jealous.

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
I don't know what kind of food markets there are where you live.  But if you look around you might find it in this period as it's become quite popular the last few years.  It looks like this when you buy it:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:24:38 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress